Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Journey's "Stone in Love"...Fretless?

zeronyne

Driving home from the Post Office this morning, I happened to catch "Stone in Love" on the radio.

I never really gave it much thought, but is Ross Valory playing a fretless on that song?

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's a T-40 user so he's OK in my book! :D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I just listened to a little clip and it sounds like his trademark sound, which is about as close to a fretless tone as I've heard anyone get on a fretted. My guess would be that it's just his magic working to trick your ear.

(PS We've covered a few Journey songs and I'll often do them on fretless because I just can't get the tone right on my fretted!)

Originally posted by ClarkW:

I just listened to a little clip and it sounds like his trademark sound, which is about as close to a fretless tone as I've heard anyone get on a fretted.

1. Clark! Nice to read your words. I feel like you've had a reduced presence here of recent. How's tricks?

2. Fretless sound on a fretted? Well, the one time I heard Stanley Clark play live he did a couple of tunes on his fretted that sounded eerily fretless. Also, there's a cat named Jake Kot who plays fretted w/ a fretless tone -- you can hear a sample of his at the AccuG website. I have his CD, and it's quite good. I think he's based in WA state.

3. Journey was never one of my faves. Nothing against them. Fine musicians. Just not really my thang.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

How the heck does he do that? It's not like it's dead strings or anything...there is no fretted character at all! I've tried to do something similar with signal processing before, but the closest I can get is a Jamerson P Bass thump.

How do you get a fretted to mwah? That song, as vacuous as it is, has some tasty near-mwah.

"For instance" is not proof.

I had a friend tell me i sounded just like that when we were jamming to a coupl eJourney tunes. I was using a Lakland 55-02 Skyline with Bart pre and Bart J and MM pups. I turned the blend just a bit to favor the bridge MM pup and played closer to the bridge.

I forgot about that tune. Chalk another sale up to iTunes. Can't go wrong for 99 cents. :)

How do you get a fretted to mwah? That song, as vacuous as it is, has some tasty near-mwah.

My Precision has a maple fingerboard with a gloss finish. It has a very distinct "mwah" above the 9th fret.

I don't exactly which bass he played on that song and can't find anything on the net. But he had started playing a Stienberger aroud that time (didn't everyone)maybe it is possible with the right EQ and that synthetic fretboard.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I don't know which bass he used on that tune either but on the official Journey website, Ross Valory states that he occasionally used a Steinbeger fretless (in addition to a fretted) around that same time. So maybe it is fretless.

Man, I wish I had posted on that earlier thread on "Most difficult song". This one has stumped me for years! So much processing went into the guitars and harmonies and you'd think there was a way to crank the bass up just a little so you could make out the notes he's playing in the ending coda. I even went searching for bass transcripts on this one, but I must've cancelled my BP subscription before they printed this one out.

Good topic, but I #$*&ING HATE THIS SONG! :mad:

"Stoned in love" is a Peavey T40, favoring the bridge humbucker. Virtually every bass track on Escape is the T40.

BTW - That record was made before the Steinbergers were widely popular or available in large numbers.

There is something about the way that Peavey bass is built. If you play it legato, you definitely get less fret noise than many other basses. It does sound like a fretless. Add a bit of chorusing (like on those Journey records)to the bass track and you come very close to a fretless.

Originally posted by GTRBass:

"Stoned in love" is a Peavey T40, favoring the bridge humbucker. Virtually every bass track on Escape is the T40.

BTW - That record was made before the Steinbergers were widely popular or available in large numbers.

There is something about the way that Peavey bass is built. If you play it legato, you definitely get less fret noise than many other basses. It does sound like a fretless. Add a bit of chorusing (like on those Journey records)to the bass track and you come very close to a fretless.

Very helpfull info...at least for me! Thanks man!!!
Donnie Peterson

Archived