Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trading a 410 for a 112?

mcbn

I'm seriously considering trading my Peavey 410 TVX for an Aguilar GS 112.

My reasons are simple. I've moved into a much smaller apartment than I'm used to and I'm living with my girlfriend instead of alone. I'm also living 1,000 miles from where I was before and am not playing in a band currently. I like the looks of the Aggy and the size/weight would make it easy to tuck away in the closet/corner of the room. I'm also getting rid of my truck for non bass player friendly car soon!

I'm planning on dragging the whole rig up to GC here in Houston and comparing the 112 to my 410.

Signal chain is simple: Warwick Streamer STD (passive) --> Trace Elliot compressor --> sansamp bddi (SVT settings) --> Peavey Firebass (settings flat) --> cabinet.

What I liked about my 410 is that it provided a nice warm low end and just really growled.

My questions to you:

What are the sonic differences going to be?

What is the level of overall sound going to be?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went from an SWR Goliath II 4X10 to a Bergantino HT112. I love it. You may miss some "air moving" lows and it doesn't get "ridiculously" loud, but I have used mine in a number of settings and it has performed very well.

You won't miss hauling that 90+ pound cab around - wheels or not.

Originally posted by NUTT:

Signal chain is simple: Warwick Streamer STD (passive) --> Trace Elliot compressor --> sansamp bddi (SVT settings) --> Peavey Firebass (settings flat) --> cabinet.

My chain used to be '87 Streamer -> TE Compressor -> Peavey Sessionbass -> Peavey 112MB

There's so much inherent growl to the Warwick/TE-Comp combo (and you've got a BDDI as well!) that whatever you go through I think you'll get that growl. Just a question of how much bottom you get with it and how loud it'll go.

What are the sonic differences going to be?

What is the level of overall sound going to be?

It'll be deeper and smoother with less bite and quite a bit less overall volume. Add a second one and it'll pretty much keep up with the 410TVX. When you first said Aguilar 112 I though, hmmm not enough midrange compared to the ugly punch of a Peavey 410, but with the Warwick/Trace/Sansamp I think you'll be giving it so much punch and growl that'll it'll come out great.

Go give it a whirl and report back ASAP!

Alex

I believe you will loose some bottom end compared to the Peavey (the Peavey is rated down to 30 Hz vs. 42 Hzfor the Aguilar) but the Aguilar is quite a bit more efficient.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Originally posted by lug:

I believe you will loose some bottom end compared to the Peavey (the Peavey is rated down to 30 Hz vs. 42 Hzfor the Aguilar) but the Aguilar is quite a bit more efficient.

I'd put money on the opposite being true - Aguilar seem to really inflate their efficiency claim for the GS112 and Peavey don't quote -3dB points they quote lowest usable frequency points which are probably -10dB.

Maybe one day engineers rather than advertising executives will write the spec sheet...

Alex

Definitely go listen. I found the Ag 12 to be too woofy. And if you are playing in your apartment, you don't need any extra woof.

There may be something else there that sounds better. Apt. life? I'd be tempted to get the EA 12.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Woof is what I'm lookin for! I've got a practice amp (Genz Benz TranzAmp B20) for the apartment. Love that little sucker!! I just don't have room for the 410 anymore and would love to get 2 of those but don't think I could trade even up for 2 of them!! I do think I can trade my 410 for a 112 or at least get in the neighborhood.

I like the Berg 112's I have; an HT112 and an EX112. Pricey, but nice.

I think you can do fine with one and match it up with your head (Peavey Firebass, eh?).

If you like it, add another at another date. Didn't Aguilar just come out with the same model, but tweeterless for $50 cheaper?

FYI:

That Peavey goes for about $490 new. If it's mint, you'll be lucky if you can sell it for $300 and you'll be even luckier if you can trade it in for $225 worth of credit.

That GS112 goes for $399 new.

Woof is what I'm lookin for! I've got a practice amp (Genz Benz TranzAmp B20) for the apartment. Love that little sucker!! I just don't have room for the 410 anymore and would love to get 2 of those but don't think I could trade even up for 2 of them!! I do think I can trade my 410 for a 112 or at least get in the neighborhood.

Nutt's got it. Keep the 4x10 and go find a 1x5 for a practice amp. Yeah, it's gonna get a little ... tinny? But once you part with the big rig, you will end up regretting. Go to your local U-Haul store, buy a wardrobe box, stick the Peavey in it and use it for a nightstand. A little equilizer goes a long way.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

I'd put money on the opposite being true - Aguilar seem to really inflate their efficiency claim for the GS112 and Peavey don't quote -3dB points they quote lowest usable frequency points which are probably -10dB.

Maybe one day engineers rather than advertising executives will write the spec sheet...

Alex

I will say the Peavey has more bottom than almost any 4x10 until you get to something like the Ampeg PR4x10HLF. I A/Bed it against quite a few 4X10s and it stomps anything in it's price range. My main criteria for a 4x10 was not needing a 1X15 for bottom end support and the Peavey is one of the few that delivers at a decent price point.

It actually has more bottom than my old Acoustic 2X15 (recently retired for a second peavey cab). Most people's complaint on the old TX was a lack of mids and now that I have A/B them I can agree. The newer model definatly looses the "smiley faced EQ" sound the older cab has.

Originally posted by getz76:

FYI:

That Peavey goes for about $490 new. If it's mint, you'll be lucky if you can sell it for $300 and you'll be even luckier if you can trade it in for $225 worth of credit.

That GS112 goes for $399 new.

Well... I'll play through one and maybe cough up the $150 I scored at the pawn shop parting out some spare home audio equipment.

I'd love to keep the 410, but it is just too friggin big!! I'm probably downgrading from a full-size truck to a small car and I'm not sure if it will fit in the trunk.

Anyone have experience with putting a 410 in back seat/trunk of a small car?

I play through a SVT4x10HLF. I really appreciate how this thing handles. I mean I was playing an old Fender bassman...

The other day I tried a combination with my new Spector-

Spector->Morley Power Wah w/ Boost->BigMuff Distortion->SVT3-pro

Tube gain set to "5", master on "5", and gain set to taste. Volume on Morley set to full and on. With the 'Muff off you get some nice sustain and growl. Turn on the 'Muff and its really sweet distortion...

As always My amp is flat when playing the active bass. And with the different cut/boost techniques I learned here, I have a wide arsenal of sound available.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

i had an excellent experience playing a (whiteface) firebass through my HT-112. you can do quite well with that amp. i'm not a big fan of the GS-112, and i don't think it will growl. for me, it was way too indistinct to growl. you may prefer it, though.

peavey does, in fact, rate our cabinets on the low end with the -10dB point. how that translates in terms of lug's empirical evidence is not within the realm of my experience. but i would say the ability to reproduce Hz at 1W is not as important as ability to reproduce Hz at power. the cabinet that has nice frequency response at 1W @ 1m may not get so deep when there's 300W through it. that is why people talk of cabinets that really "bloom" with more power.

if you can listen to one first, try out the GS-112 and see if it sounds like what you like. otherwise, you may have to wait or get into some other cabinet (see avatar SB-112, or a 210 has a small footprint when stored vertically).

there's a dealer in houston:

Rockin' Robin

3619 S. Shepard

Houston, TX 77098

(713) 529-5442

www.rockinrobinguitars.com

go check them out.

robb.

Yes. What kind of car?

I'm looking at getting an '04 Mazda3 4-door. I can't stand the hatch!

I can't believe it!! I moved last weekend and Rockin' Robin is 3 miles from my new apartment. I had forgotten about that place because it was so far away! I'll have to get there tomorrow night!!

I can't stand the hatch!

Any particular reason why? I've had much better luck transporting amps in small hatchbacks than small saloons.

I'm sure you can pick up a GS112 on ebay or via other secondhand methods, there are loads of them floating around. In which case you should break even with selling the 410TVX. And whenever you acquire a new band you can add another cab if need be - apparently Eden's 1x12" goes very well with the Aguilar.

Alex

Any particular reason why?

THE CAR IS SO FRIGGIN UGLY!!! I have to have some cool factor and it is very hard to give up my truck!!

I'm sure you can pick up a GS112 on ebay or via other secondhand methods, there are loads of them floating around. In which case you should break even with selling the 410TVX. And whenever you acquire a new band you can add another cab if need be.

I think that is the plan. Ditch the 410 for a 112 now and grab a second one when the need pops up.

Yes. What kind of car?

I'm looking at getting an '04 Mazda3 4-door. I can't stand the hatch!
You can fit a lot in that car. When I had my 1998 (later 2000 after the '98 got stolen) Acura Integra GS-R (2 door hatch), I managed to fit a bass, a 6 space rack, a 4x10" Ampeg, me, a guitarist, a guitar, pedals, and a guitar combo without much hassle. That Mazda is huge in comparison to the Acura.

See this little car?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nicola.kate.simpson/photos/peugeot.jpg

Last gig it transported two 2x10" cabs, a 4-space rack, huge pedalboard, bass in monster gigbag, mic stands, 5-piece drum kit and the drummer and myself to the venue. In one trip. The marvels of packaging! (And nothing gets wet when it rains).

Alex

Anyway... this is what I used to drag to larger venues:

http://www.isubars.com/forums/uploads/photo-36.jpg

1981 Ibanez Roadster

Warwick Streamer STD

Peavey 410 TVX

SWR "Henry the 8x8"

Peavey Firebass 700

Pedal board with A/B switch, TU-2, SansAmp, TE Compressor, and later added a Digitech Bass Driver.

The Peavey cab really covers the low end and the 8x8 took care of the mids with ease. The Firebass really pushes out 700 watts!!!!

I hate moving!!!

Anyway... this is what I used to drag to larger venues:

http://www.isubars.com/forums/uploads/photo-36.jpg

1981 Ibanez Roadster

Warwick Streamer STD

Peavey 410 TVX

SWR "Henry the 8x8"

Peavey Firebass 700

Pedal board with A/B switch, TU-2, SansAmp, TE Compressor, and later added a Digitech Bass Driver.

The Peavey cab really covers the low end and the 8x8 took care of the mids with ease. The Firebass really pushes out 700 watts!!!!

I hate moving!!!

OH MY GOD. That kind of sound can kill small animals that have the misfortune of wandering too close to the stage.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

You will find a lot of bassists with cabs that look exactly like a peavey but without a peavey logo on them. :D

You will find a lot of bassists with cabs that look exactly like a peavey but without a peavey logo on them. :D

:)

Yeah, I used to play those...

To topic, I have played through a couple of different 4x12s over the years, and currently play a 1x12.

There is a lack of air movement as compared to the bigger box, but it still pushes air, and considering that I'll mainly be using it miced when it needs to be louder, and the fact that it's still plenty powerful unmiced, the weight tradeoff and transportability seal the deal.

YMMV.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

My god, that's a nightmare.

Three trips because I was smart. ;)

I'm just glad that the two or three venues I actually had to drag all of that gear didn't have stairs!!

As an update, I've decided that I'm not going to give up my truck, gas prices be damned. Now the only issue is finding room in the apartment to keep the cabinet. I'd still like to go try out some 112s next week regardless. I talked to Rockin' Robins here in Houston and they have some nice 112s (Aggy, Berg, Bag End) so I'll drag my stuff over one night and hook up. If nothing else I've got a week long vacation after Christmas.

Your current setup looks wonderful. I can't imagine downgrading to a 1x12. It seems it will limit you. Really think this out, partner.

What happened to the 8x8?

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

If he is around ask for Tom at Rockin Robin Guitars, he is their bass guy. I've seen all those cabs mentioned above and some Epifani as well. Tell him Ernest ( who waits for his Ashdown) says HI. If other days are not convenient for you Tom usually works on Sundays, I think noon -7pm, any musician can appreciate this, 'cept for Tom ;) . If nothing else the traffic has to be better Sunday than on other days as you travel HWY 59-"The Monster" :evil: . Good Luck.

The 8x8 is long gone. It was more hassle than it was worth. Too big to carry around and fit drums, guitar, etc and it was more sound that I needed. I only ended up using it a few times.

As for driving in on 59... I live downtown now. I am 3.3 miles from the store. I commut eagainst traffic to work on the NW side of town.

Archived