Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gig disasters - the tale of the tall building

I played corporate holiday party #1 of the season last night. Big real estate company with lots of money to throw around. It was on the 75th and 76th floors of the Bank of America Tower in Seattle.

We arrive and unload our gear at the loading dock. A quick, and I mean quick, ride in one of the freight elevators and we were at the 75th floor. Pop over to the elevators that only service floors 75 and 76, and we were at our final destination of floor 76. Yeah. Setup. Turn on rig. Hit 'mute' on preamp. Plug in patch chord. Radio frequencies start emitting from my cab. Lots of them, and they are loud. Plug other end into wireless unit. Still tons of radio frequencies, and I noticed as I was moving around the end of the cable that it directly effected the amount and volume of the radio interference. Not good. Unplug said patch chord thinking that it's likely just the cheap-ass cable and plug a 3' Monster Cable patch chord into the preamp; this usually connects my bass to my wireless transmitter. Same problem as before. Try a different power source. Try ground lift on the preamp. Try putting a ground lift on the entire rig. Nothing is making it better.

This is about the time I remember that there are two radio station broadcast towers on the top of the building and two cell towers. We are in the middle of RF interference hell.

My 'rig' last night wound up being my P4 direct out of my X-Wire to the board. No preamp, no nothin. It actually worked surprisingly well. Mad props to the kids at X-Wire for making such a fine product. Mad props to Mike Lull for making basses that sound so good direct.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disaster? Well, that depends. If the band was Mr. Miyagi, & the station was KISW...it just might work...

Glad it came out all right. I agree, basses that sound good direct totally rock. I've been recording at home with my passive Fender, just running the cord from the bass' output into the recorder's input, & the tone is great. (Same goes for the Ric, btw.) Nice!

Originally posted by ChrisOfDoom:

Is that the place where the bathroom stalls look out a window out over Seattle? Kinda creepy but really cool.

Only in the women's restroom. You can see for miles and miles and miles and miles and miiiiiiiiilllllllles way up there. It took a bit to get used to being way the hell up there, but it wasn't bad. I'm extremely happy that it wasn't really windy. The top sways like a mother when it's windy. That would bother me.

I tell you what was really strange was looking out the window and seeing planes flying below on approach to Boeing field.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

You can see for miles and miles and miles and miles and miiiiiiiiilllllllles way up there.

Post of the Day nomination for The Who reference.

Good work Bump, take Monday off.

Ah, nice marmot.

Is that the place where the bathroom stalls look out a window out over Seattle? ...

Only in the women's restroom.

Um, how, pray tell, do you know this? Somebody playing "peep-a-boo" during set breaks? :eek::P;):D

Peace.

--s-dub

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

Is that the place where the bathroom stalls look out a window out over Seattle? ...

Um, how, pray tell, do you know this? Somebody playing "peep-a-boo" during set breaks? :eek::P;):D

Peace.

--s-dub

My sister helped cater a party there and she was giving tours of the womans bathroom....

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

Peace.

--s-dub

I choose to take the 5th...

Archived