Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Low dollar Low End

wraub

I've been lucky to get a few decent deals lately (a BenLoy for $450, a 44-02 and a Skyline DJ for about $725 each). My best was long ago - a '67 P for $125 (in '73), and a '78 StingRay (bought in '84) for a Kramer Aluminum neck bass ($200 credit) and $200 cash.

I still have the 'Ray - but even after years of trying to get the "P" back... no go.

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having not done much buying and selling and being the other side of the pond I haven't had the most outstanding bargains.

However my Hohner Jack cost me £200 (technically $380 now but in terms of actual MI purchasing power much more like $200) and served me well for 3 years as my main bass. Following a defret, epoxy and finish strip it made a decent fretless.

And now, since replacing the pickups with a single Bartolini J-type ($60) and adding the old preamp from my Warwick (free!) it sounds amazing - really woody, with plenty of growl. With the action up way high it sounds halfway between an upright and a fretless.

My '87 Warwick Streamer was a lucky deal - £650 including a gigbag, a Boss BE-5B multi-FX (later sold) and a hefty aluminium flightcase (also sold) and a couple of 30' Whirlwind leads. So the bass itself only really cost about £400 and it sounds and plays better than the new ones which list at £2200!

My Lovetone Meatball was a good buy too. Bought for £180, sold for £315. Nice! :D

Alex

Originally posted by dcr:

Originally posted by JBFLA:

I've been lucky to get a few decent deals lately (a BenLoy for $450...)

Damn it!

(Or should I say, "Damn it, Jim!")

(I'll bet you've neeeeeeeeeeever heard that one...)

Only by my fanatic Star Trek friends... and my ex-wife.

Disclaimer: The "BenLoy" was supposed to be shipped to my work addy Friday (as per my request by e-mail), BUT the seller sent it to my home, based on the addy on the USPS M.O.(which didn't have my complete address because of space limitations)...

Bottom line - no Big Brown Truck yet :confused:

I'm sure it will work out...Right? :eek:

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

I really think those Fender BenLoy... err Geddy Lee jazz basses are the best instrument for the money right now. They play and sound absolutely friggin amazing and aren't going to cost you $47,000,000.

Originally posted by jeremy c:

but I also have a Roland Cube 60 amp that I bought used for two bills.

Those things rule.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Originally posted by jeremy c:

but I also have a Roland Cube 60 amp that I bought used for two bills.

Those things rule.
I'll go even more Lo-Fi, as I have a Roland Cube 40 amp, an ancient silver one I bought for about $150 when I first started playing bass. It makes a sound, period - what more can you ask from a practice amp?
(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

me, i got an aguilar gs 210 with the cover included used for 400, not bad considering most people would sell that for 675.

I got my aguilar db 750 for 1600, not bad considering the 2300 retail.

I got my warwick thumb, technicaly vintage(1990=handmade in west germany) for 1000 +a wawrick.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

I bought an old beat-up Gorilla G-25 (w/TubeStack switch!) for $25. I was tinkering around with my first guitar at the time, bass has always been my primary focus. It really sounded like trash until I

vibrated it off the top of my 2 stacked bass combos. It took a nasty hit. In haste, I plugged my bass into it and it made a great noise. It has the best growl/OD/Distorted sound now. It's great to use with an A/B/Y switch and a clean, deep, high powered bass Amp.

More importantly, the $200 I spent for my MIM P bass in 1990. Nothing beats it. I played a few other simalar ones but they don't have that magic. I did notice the wood color on the neck is unique

compared to similar Fenders. Maybe I was somehow lucky (for once).

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

My gear is all pretty cheap, since I haven't had lots of money lying around.

Oscar Schmidt 4-string bass, not sure which model, mid-90's - $330.00 Canadian when it was new. It plays exceptionally well, and I don't plan on ever getting rid of it, although I am certainly GASing for a few to add to the arsenal.

Old Crate B200 XL Bass Head - $150.00 Canadian, bought used. That's a great price around here and it sounds like it should. Nothing special, but it does the job. I will probably replace it with separates as soon as I get enough cash.

So far my most well-spent money has been on my Yorkville 1x15 cabinet. I bought it used for $150.00 Canadian, and have never regretted it. I'm not really partial to this either though, and plan on buying something better (probably Eden) when I get the chance.

Anyways, the total price paid for my bass gear (minus a few effects and such) is only $630.00 Canadian. That's, oh... $40.00 American?

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

They play and sound absolutely friggin amazing and aren't going to cost you $47,000,000.

Daaaaayyyyymmmmmnnnnn. Where you been shoppin' for gear that costs that kind of coin?!?!

;)

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

On Topic - but a change of gears:

Dumpster Diving for Bass Gear.

Has anyone found any gear in/on/around a dumpster? Say, after the band in front of you the bass player throws his amp into the trash and you salvaged it only to find that it needed a fuse and a $2.00 switch? Or music stores - do they throw out dead merch?

- Matt W.

Originally posted by JBFLA:

Disclaimer: The "BenLoy" was supposed to be shipped to my work addy Friday (as per my request by e-mail), BUT the seller sent it to my home, based on the addy on the USPS M.O.(which didn't have my complete address because of space limitations)...

Damn Fender, where's my endorsement deal already??? It's not like Geddy's getting any younger! :D

Originally posted by Matt W:

you salvaged it only to find that it needed a fuse and a $2.00 switch? Or music stores - do they throw out dead merch?

I salvaged a guitar for a friend once. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

That SWR WM 15 combo I picked up for $100 needed to be vaccuumed and needed a $2.00 1/4"-jack and 5 minutes of soldering. Pretty good deal.

One of my neighbors recently found an ancient Vox bass stack on the side of the road. In pretty good condition.

Bastard... :)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

A couple of years back one of my younger friends spent over $500 on a new Epiphone Viola bass and hard case. Not one to be satisfied with imitations, he hit the deal of the decade: a rebuilt Hofner beatle bass in a pawn shop for $300. After admiring his Hofner (if it was fake it sure fooled me and my friends) I asked him what he planned to do with the Epiphone. $250 later, I became the 2nd owner of said Epiphone and it's a keeper! Since he kept the Epi case, I had to spring another $50 for another one. Turned out it was a TKL (made in Canada) case; still not a bad deal.

I have other stories but first I'd have to move to a state without reciprocal extradition laws.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for him to call about the Hofner when he gets tired of that.

:D

Originally posted by Matt W:

Has anyone found any gear in/on/around a dumpster? Say, after the band in front of you the bass player throws his amp into the trash and you salvaged it only to find that it needed a fuse and a $2.00 switch? Or music stores - do they throw out dead merch?

This brings up one of my favorite guitar makers....

Click Here

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I bought a 1981 Ibanez Roadster 4 string w/ original hard case for $179 a few years ago. That bass has played like a dream for me and is now strung BEAD for when I need/feel like playing a little bit lower. The only upgrade I made was straplocks after the strap came off at a gig one night.

Originally posted by butcherNburn:

I'm a little put off by the way he describes the neck joint as "screwed".

Then you didn't read any of his writings. Go to his home page and check out all of his philosophies and such. He also has a model that he made from an IKEA table top. Interesting guy...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks for the link, Tom! Those are some awesome looking guitars. Cool looking basses, too, although so far I think he's made only 32" scale basses. Prices are good, too. Few sound samples, but what he has sound really great.

And you've GOT to love the pine guitar, complete with old nailheads. I'd like to hear it.

Pretty clear he's not been inclined to target bassists yet; on the site, they sort of seem to get pitched as a guitar builder's afterthought.

For someone who's really down on fancy-shmancy finishes, though, I noticed a lot of nice tops & select woods. I can appreciate a lot of his "philosophy" of building, but I guess I'm a bit cynical; it just sounds like yet another luthier's hype, of a different type. Still, the instruments intrigue me.

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

Originally posted by butcherNburn:

I'm a little put off by the way he describes the neck joint as "screwed".

Then you didn't read any of his writings. Go to his home page and check out all of his philosophies and such. He also has a model that he made from an IKEA table top. Interesting guy...

Tom

It was actually his choice of words. I'm pretty impressed with his concepts and creations. The example given on the link was pretty nice looking. The weight issue is definitley a plus, and I don't think exotic woods will be available forever.

That guitar reminds me of Billy Gibbons "Muddywood" guitar made from the shack Muddy Waters called home early in his life.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

My first bass: a Gibson EB-2; one giant humbucker, that little felt bridge muffle that en=ventually fell off, the plate that covered the electronics on the back was missing, dead tone pot, and a re-attached headstock that had been glued back together with primative marine epoxy.

Cost: $50.00

My Second Bass: A Masada Fender P-bass Copy, the original owner had pulled the frets out with a pair of plyers - the neck was s-bowed beyond repair. It was given to me to practice on - I eventually replaced the neck with a Fender custom Fretless J - neck for $200.00: A J-neck on a P-body. It was deliscious - I returned it to it's original owner, A dear friend, who swapped it for a Purple Kramer star bass (kinda like an Ibanez Destroyer with a headless aluminum neck).

My first Brand new bass: Fender Precision Light : $425.00

My first Amp - Sunn Beta Bass $70.00

A garage sale acoustic spanish style guitar with a busted head stock and nut $20.

Simple repair...really clamp down with a capo on the first fret and act like your first fret is the nut.

The bad thing is I really don't have the cash to fix it, but I love it.

The strings are so old that they are rusty and coming apart, but I can't afford new ones.

I just purchased a used Behringer V-Amp2 processor for $40.

It worked great for one night but now it won't seem to accept the signal or something like that. It powers up but nothing happens. Now I'm depressed about it because I really liked it and don't know how to fix it...And I'm broke.

The disheartening thing about this is at the end of every post I could say...And I'm broke.

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

Got my Yorkville XM50C combo used on ebay for $185. Love it! Under 30 pounds and it sounds way bigger than 50 watts, with an XLR out!

Got my new Schecter Diamond Series C4 at Guitar Center for $429. Love it! Active EMG pickups; I can get any sound I want. Grover tuners, S-Tek "monorail" bridge, beautiful inlays, cream binding, and a gorgeous antique amber finish.

Next up:

Crown XLS402 power amp

Acme Low B1's (set of 2)

Roland V-Cymbals

Pay raise to afford it all?

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Archived