Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Definitely not OT: Al Jackson Jr.

dcr

Is it just me or is this guy off the hook?!

His cross-stick work alone on tunes like "Soul Dressing" & the MGs' cover of "Mrs. Robinson" are worth the price of admission.

Jackson is definitely one of the most musical drummers I've ever heard. He's a rock-solid time-keeper, but more than that, he's 100% an integral part of the feel, the mood, just everything about the songs he plays on. He's as tight & groovy as anyone else, but he has that very special extra quality of being so very musical & in tune with the whole of the song. Great stuff. Wow, to have sat in with that guy!

Anyone care to give up some love for Mr. Jackson? Favorite tunes to check him out on?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time to get out my Al Green's Greatest Hits cd again. Love those Al Jackson, Jr. grooves.

I've probably played "Let's Stay Together" with 50 drummers in my life. No one ever got it right.

And even though dozens of groups have played "Take me to the River", no one has ever touched Jackson's beat.

It's so simple that it's impossible to play.

;)

Originally posted by ihategarybettman:

Al Jackson was the man; the epitome of the less-is-more drummer. Everything he played was perfect and his groove was somehow both laid back and urgent at the same time.

It's pretty hard to put any one of the MGs in the "less is more" column without the rest of them. Jackson is (was) the man, but so are Cropper, Duck & Booker T. I would trade all the hot soloing geetar players in the world for Cropper any day.

I saw the MGs on their last little tour a few years ago. They sounded good, but Al was definitely missed. I can't remember the drummer's name, but seem to recall he was Al's cousin.

On a slightly different topic; check out NRBQ sometime. They have no particular genre, extremely eclectic. Simple groove is their trademark as well and they're sorta the same setup as the MGs: Bass, drums, geetar & keys (usually clavinet & piano).

COOL! One of my favorite drummers of all time! Some of my faves are "Melting Pot" and "Hip Hug Her". Awesome grooves. Quite a character too,from suff I've read. Too bad about his death. Tragic.

Oh yeah. Those are Booker T and the MGs songs.

Originally posted by DONUT:

COOL! One of my favorite drummers of all time! Some of my faves are "Melting Pot" and "Hip Hug Her".

Me too! Incredible grooves. How so few notes can swing that hard...it's like Jeremy said, it's so simple, it's almost impossible!

tnb--right you are, bro! I changed the thread title for you. :thu:

Forgive me if I've mentioned this before. Can't remember where I read it, but here's a great paraphrased quote from Al Jackson:

"When I'm playing drums, I'm not trying to sell myself. I'm trying to sell the song"

Here's some more stuff to read for those interested in Stax in general:

http://sl-prokeys.com/stax/stax-story.htm

I read some of the other links above. Interesting that Al was the defacto producer for Albert King cause Albert "didn't really like anybody" I guess everyone at Stax was kinda scared of Albert cause he sometimes brandished his gun in the studio.

Originally posted by SteveLeigh:

Greetings All,

I'm happy to see so many STAX fans ....

While viewing the logs of my website I came upon several visitors from here.

I hope you enjoy my STAX pages.

Best,

Steve "Sandy" Leigh

Cool! Thanks for the cool site. More people need to know about Stax's contribution!

I read some of the other links above. Interesting that Al was the defacto producer for Albert King cause Albert "didn't really like anybody" I guess everyone at Stax was kinda scared of Albert cause he sometimes brandished his gun in the studio.

:)

Hi,

Albert was a doll. A perfectionist, sometimes difficult, yes, but definitely no problem to get along with. He used to dance with my wife at the STAX Christmas parties.

As a side note, y'all might enjoy the videos on my site from Memphis, 2002. I was fortunate to play with the MGs behind some of the STAX greats.

RealPlayer (and a little patience) is required.

:)

Steve "Sandy" Leigh

Steve Leigh

www.sl-prokeys.com

Steve,

I never expected to see you here! Glad to have pointed a few people to your site. There's some really interesting stuff in there.

I think I read that thing about Albert & his gun in the liner notes of the big stax singles set. He always looked like a teddy bear to me. A great, big Teddy Bear.

Another candidate for the Less is More Hall of Fame. The best stuff Albert King ever recorded was laid down at Stax. And a lot of it with Al Jackson right behind him.

BTW, I never really did burn that M3!

Did all them Katholiks finally get off your lawn? :)

Archived