Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

envelope filter (mxr and boss)

fai

questions about envelope filters have been asked for many times, usually machines like q-trons, mu-trons, ebs, seamoon, etc, are mentioned.

but did anyone try the mxr bass auto Q and the new boss syb-5? are they good? i am considering of getting a envelope filter, so i would like to know as much as possible, thx.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend had a boss bass synth that sounded really cool but I've not played it.

I love my Moogerfooger low pass. It is expandable in that it can be used for all sorts of sounds and i all sorts of configurations with the other moogerfoogers. I also have the Maxon AF and I like it a lot but for bass the mooger is king.

I also fooled around with the q-tron and the MuTron III+ which I liked much more than anything except the two I own. For various reasons people like the Q-Tron and it is supposed to be the same as the original Mu-Tron which the Mu-Tron III+ is NOT, but I liked the III+.

Some say the orginals are still the best, but I've not played them.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

I'm a big fan of envelope filters.

And I do own a Boss SYB-5.

I also own an original Mu-Tron III, a Seamoon Funk Machine and a EBS Bass-IQ. I have also owned a Q-Tron in the past.

The Boss Bass synth has an envelope filter as one of its many effects. It's adequate, but not as versatile as a self-contained envelope filter.

The Mu-Tron III is the holy grail of envelope filters. But I have the EBS Bass-IQ (and the Boss SYB-5) on my pedalboard because I'm afraid to take the Mu-Tron out of the house.

http://members.aol.com/jeremyzone1/pdlboard.jpg

(The SwitchBlade has been replaced by a Loooper).

And on the recommended envelope filter thread, my experiences based on ownership:

The Lovetone Meatball is mindblowingly complicated, enormous and sounds incredible when you set it right. However, that rarely happens, there are simply too many over-sensitive and interactive knobs and switches. It's also hideously expensive nowadays. Studio use only IMO. I don't miss mine one bit.

The EBS BassIQ is a little dry sounding compared to a vintage Mu-Tron III or a perfectly adjusted Meatball, but it's so easy to use, solidly built and versatile despite the small number of controls that it wins it for live use (in fact all use for me but I'm very impatient when it comes to finding sounds). Doesn't take up much space on the board either. And if you haven't got enough natural grease in your playing, then what are you doing with an envelope filter? If you fake the funk your nose will grow! Play greasy and it sounds plenty wet enough.

Alex

I just tonight created an envelope filter patch on my Digitech BP8. Quite a few options and I'm still tweaking, but so far I'm liking it. The whole wah and envelope filter effect is a little new to me, so I can't offer much advice, other than experiement, experiment, and experiment. Then, experiment some more!

One lesson I've learned lately is: if you think it sounds good to your ears, put it on tape (or disk these days) and listen when you're not playing, and see if you still think it sounds the way you want.

HTH,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I so desperately want a Boss SYB-5 for Christmas, and even thought the price has come waaaay down in the last year (original MSRP - $299, Lang Bros price, $199) they are so expensive and I haven't really justified needing one yet. Test drove one at Samash not too long ago and I like it a lot.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Originally posted by fai:

thx for all advices :)

so no one recommends the mxr one?

I've not played it but I'm concerned that MXR say it contains the same circuitry as the Crybaby 105Q plus an envelope follower to replace the treadle control. And I'm not keen on the 105Q I find its bandpass design sounds either too subtle or kills your (top and) bottom. I'd rather use a lowpass envelope filter which avoid this problems.

Then again, knowing marketing blurb, this could all be lies and the MXR actually a true lowpass filter which is trying to sell itself using the Crybaby name. Who knows!

If you're willing to spend the money, I don't think you can go wrong with the EBS BassIQ.

Alex

Originally posted by fai:

thx for all advices :)

so no one recommends the mxr one?

OK, I'll go out on that limb, despite the number of saws that are out there. I BELIEVE MXR products tend to be warmed over guitar technolgy and that some of Boss' offering are actually designed with the bass player in mind.

My son (guitar player) uses MXR effects pedals (except the Boss Chorus I bought him)and seems to like them very much. I like the feature of the optional rubber "grommet" that slips over the knob and extends outside the perimeter of the box so you can adjust it with your feet (unless you have susquatch feet like I do, then you just kick the pedal across the room).

If any susquatch on the furom were offended, I apologize.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Originally posted by Social Critic:

I BELIEVE MXR products tend to be warmed over guitar technolgy and that some of Boss' offering are actually designed with the bass player in mind.

I can't say whether that's true or not in generaly, but I'm pretty happy with the MXR M80...but I do believe that one was specifically designed for bass. That said, I'm using the Digitech BP8 now instead of the M80...why emulate a bass tube preamp when you can have an actual bass tube preamp (with 9 different voicings) in pedal form, eh?

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived