Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Update: The new GAS.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update:

I pulled the trigger today. I put down a deposit and will hopefully pay the balance off sooner than later. I want to bring this bad boy home and start gigging with it.

Have mercy on my bank account.

Originally posted by davio:

Oh yeah...that 8 string Raven posted a few days ago...what strings/notes would an 8 string have if they aren't doubled??? I've never seen one like that. Or am I counting wrong?

bass -> treble I would venture:

F# | B | E | A | D | G | C | F

or

C# | F# | B | E | A | D | G | C

corrected for WM's edit

Originally posted by getz76:

Oh yeah...that 8 string Raven posted a few days ago...what strings/notes would an 8 string have if they aren't doubled??? I've never seen one like that. Or am I counting wrong?

or

C | F# | B | E | A | D | G | C

getz, most of the extended range players I know if going below the F# go to a C# which keeps the cycle.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Originally posted by Wally Malone:

Originally posted by getz76:

or

C | F# | B | E | A | D | G | C

getz, most of the extended range players I know if going below the F# go to a C# which keeps the cycle.

Wally

Doh, thanks for the correction.

Originally posted by bassaddik:

Fortunately, my GAS has a $3200 limit.

If you have the means and it fulfills your sould, then i say go for it!

However, if a $9000 Alembic made me play and sound like Jimmy Johnson ( James Taylor ) - then i would consider it a bargain, and I would be writing the check NOW!

-Word

Originally posted by greenboy:

Any P bass guys want to come forward and testify?

What about J bass guys? I got a P bass special but it's a POS Squire so I don't rate to testify.

And Pernax...nice Frudua man. I see you're into the extended range basses. I was firmly against extended range bass because I thought it totally went against what traditional bass playing should be. Then I said hey, thats alright, man.

For real I'm having some major GAS attacks, myself. Just when I thought my set-up is complete, when I thought all the fish were in the stable, something else comes along...

I just picked up a Czech Spector neckthru and I love looking at the bass more than I love playing it, I will admit. I feel the opposite about my MIA Jazz.

But THIS jazz bass I love to LOOK at and I'm sure I'd LOVE to PLAY it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64400&item=3766614709&rd=1

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Where have you been, Mr. MP?

Nice looking ax, there. Mahogany, eh? Hope you're not doing long sets, that can get heavy.

I've liked every G&L I've played, but never enough to buy one. I always liked the approach to electronics as well. If they made a traditional looking Jazz 5er, I'd be on that... ;)

Believe it or not, it's just at or under 10 lbs. according to the seller. It *may* be a semihollow without the F-holes, but we don't know and I'm not cracking it open to find out! The fretboard face is blank as well, with the exception of the typical two dots on the 12th fret. Can't wait to get this one in.

I've been around, just not as frequently and usually in "lurk" mode... too many hobbies, too little time & money.

...simply stating.

• 2 weeks later...

I went in and paid the balance off yesterday. I am now officially the proud owner of this beast. I played it at rehearsal last night and it was absolutely friggin' amazing.

I believe I may be taking some new "family photos" sometime soon. I'll record some sound clips as well.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

I am now officially the proud owner of this beast.

Congratulations! Enjoy!

What do you do with the pistol grip upper horn?

I'll record some sound clips as well.

Cool.

Please check your PMs.

Peace.

--s-dub

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Hmmmm, Lizzy, I wonder how it would sound thru some Bergies... You, too?! Really?! Great!

Now just convince B. Diggity of that and you'll be good to go.

I still wanna know, Bump, how often you hold it by the "pistol grip".

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

So, now that you've had the bass a little while, Bump, how you feelin' about it?

What do the knobs do?

Does it suck yet so that you've got to sell it for kindling?

Peace.

--sweets

It doth rule, my life is now complete. It came to my NYE gig and got played for the first set. I put it away after set #1, for fear that the insanity of the evening might see it get hurt. Played my MM Sterling for the rest of the night 'cause I really don't care if that bass gets a little beat up.

The tone and playability of this bass is out of this world. The neck is really sleek, a lot like the Lull Jazz bass neck. The tone is, well, it's that bass. It doesn't sound like anything else I currently own. It's very clear and punchy; I believe BassNW described it as 'piano like' and I wouldn't argue with that. With the right adjustments to the pickup balance and tone filters, it can sound an awful lot like a P bass or a Jazz bass. I find that I usually have the filters 'on' and turned all the way up and the pickup balance slightly forward to the neck pickup. I will get some sound samples done this week sometime and post 'em. It really is great.

The knobs? Here's a really bad MS Paint guide to them:

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/knobs.jpg

The LEDs look cool on a dark stage.

I'm going to see about getting a Producer Switch and a "Don't Suck" knob installed; perhaps a "Play All The Right Notes" switch as well.

Congratulations on what has to be the most RAWK bass I've ever laid my peeps upon.

Have fun ,cherish and love :thu:

Grizzly Bears Don't Fear Anyone.

Angry Cheetahs Emerge Growling.

I reserve the right to change my opinion at any time!

The knobs? Here's a really bad MS Paint guide to them:

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/knobs.jpg

I'm going to see about getting a Producer Switch and a "Don't Suck" knob installed; perhaps a "Play All The Right Notes" switch as well.[/QB]

If you want to send that baby over here i could see about taking a picture witha better guide to the knobs. Hey maybe i'll even get to installing the switches.......just send it over first........please,........uummm, like now :D

I'll just be waiting for the package then :wave:

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Archived