Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Update: The new GAS.

My life will never be complete if I do not own that JPJ Alembic. If you missed that other thread, I'm talking about this .

I went and played it this afternoon. It plays like a dream. Super fast neck, nice balance, incredible tone. I must have it. Must must must.

Unless something really, really bad happens between now and next week Wednesday-ish, I'm going in to put ~$3,000 down on it and pay for the rest as gig income comes in this month.

Dammit all. :cry:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3000 Down...ouch..that will buy you a nice Sadowsky or Lakland.

Its a beautiful bass.. a little too radical for me but go for it Bump..

it kinda sorta looks like a weapon on mass destruction

I know you have impeccable taste in gear...

www.danielprine.com

Funny, I just looked at that bass online earlier today.

It lists for $9,050. That's US dollars. Nine thousand of 'em.

Myself, I'm gassing for that used Epiphone Casady bass. It's $600, case included, but no way can I afford it.

So I hate you too. A lot. ;)

You're crazy, man.

We love you for it.

Also we love Microsoft, if only for giving you a big enough salary to afford your bass addiction. :D

Next time I come to Seattle I want to see this bad boy.

I actually was there last weekend but was too busy with Thanksgiving to get to BassNW or call anyone up.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

My life will never be complete if I do not own that JPJ Alembic. If you missed that other thread, I'm talking about this .

I went and played it this afternoon. It plays like a dream. Super fast neck, nice balance, incredible tone. I must have it. Must must must.

Unless something really, really bad happens between now and next week Wednesday-ish, I'm going in to put ~$3,000 down on it and pay for the rest as gig income comes in this month.

Dammit all. :cry:

Dude, you are absolutely nuts! Man, if it makes you happy, then go for it. My choice would be to spread that dough over a bunch of cool stuff, but if this is what it takes for you, by all means, do it. Think about it long and hard first...that's a lot of dough...I usually give myself a month or two for something expensive. If you still feel that strongly then, go get it and don't look back.

L8r,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Just when I think I've grown beyond the point of letting petty jealousy get the best of me...

Actually, I couldn't be happier for you that you have the opportunity (however strained) to acquire such a fine instrument. I'd drop the money on gas (that's fuel, people) to drive there and play something like that. I'd have to get a couple hours of playing, but still, it'd be worth it.

You must enjoy it. You must play it. You must live it. Those are the only conditions I impose on your purchase. If you feel you cannot fulfill any of those requirements, please put your checkbook away now. :)

unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

I like the shape. But the bass seems "safe". I guess the envy doesn't even come near because the bass is missing some strings. At least one, possibly two or more ; }

I'd love to see AlembicKoa light up on that too!

The insidious and evil G.A.S. has claimed the reason and sanity of our bass brother Bumpcity.

Let this serve as an example to us all that there but for the grace of God go we.

And now my Lowdown brothers and sisters, please join me in a moment of silence for our sorely afflicted brother.

:cry:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by dcr:

It's $600, case included, but no way can I afford it.

The case is free with the Alembic... ;):D:D

Don't let my job fool you, this is a huge purchase. Huge. I'm going to have to make some sacrifices in order for this to happen. I'll be very, very unhappy later if I don't get it now that the opportunity is presenting itself. The timing of several things is just working out perfectly that's going to allow this to happen.

Yay new bass.

Anyone want to buy a slightly abused MM Sterling? It's yellow! It's got low milage! It comes with a 15-year Drivetrain Warranty! I don't think I'll be playing that much after acquiring this bad boy... or my Lull P4 for that matter. I just can't bring myself to part with the purple P-beast.

How much is a new Alembic Series I going for these days?

If I were going to pop for an Alembic, I'd probably just have them build me one.

I'd like to see you show up for a jazz trio gig with that instrument....you'll have to change the minds of the other players pretty quickly after they pre-judge you.

Originally posted by greenboy:

I guess the envy doesn't even come near because the bass is missing some strings. At least one, possibly two or more ; }

ditto. something about 4strings just turns me off. My first and only bass is a 5string. When i bought that bass, i'd never noticed anyone playing anything with less than 5 strings, so i assumed 5 to be standard.

Why do alembics cost so much? Is every part hand made by one guy?

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

You are my idol. I will live vicariously through you on this purchase. No way Robin can give me any grief about my purchases.

I would love to try an Alembic. I think they would be an awesome bass. I love the tone on the James Taylor "Beacon Theatre" DVD and that is a 5 string Alembic.

Fortunately, my GAS has a $3200 limit.

If you have the means and it fulfills your sould, then i say go for it!

However, if a $9000 Alembic made me play and sound like Jimmy Johnson ( James Taylor ) - then i would consider it a bargain, and I would be writing the check NOW!

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

You're not too far from the Nevada line. How about spending a weekend at one of the "resorts" (I don't mean the gambling kind) before laying down that $3K deposit?

Many a man has changed his mind about many things after a "boy's night out". And if you still want it that bad (the Alembic, I mean), then go ahead and get it. Just don't take the whole $3K down there with you...

:cool:

I have to admire the cojones it takes to do something like this, Bump. I got the Alembic lustbug the first time I saw and heard Stanley Clarke play. When I found out that Jonesy was playing them around the time of the "Presence" album, the pain just grew ever more painful. Factor in how much I cringed at a $3K price tag for a bass just this past weekend...it's serious cojones. Serious.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived