Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Blues harmonica

73 P Bass

My boss is pretty musical; used to play sax, and is always up for a live show. I thought for Christmas I'd get him a few harmonicas he could bring to blues jams. I've seen a cheap set with 7 harmonicas, but the quality is suspect, probably about as good as the bargain price would suggest.

What keys would cover the most ground for blues? I'd like to get him 3.

Thanks for any help.

Charlie

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jeremy c: You need an A harmonica to play blues in E. Don't ask me why.
I won't ; } - it's so you have the dominant seventh easily available for the tonic chord. Major sevenths usually stink for this pentatonic / blues stuff ; }

So if you get him an A, a D and a C, he will have the keys of E, A, and G covered which should be good for a large amount of blues tunes.
Yeah, just buy harps a fourth up from the keys you most frequently play blues in.

I found a set of 7 harmonica's after running a quick search at Musician's Friend. Check out these . Thing is, it may be the same set you found. There's a lot more to check out if you just check out these listings . A chromatic harmonica is a really nice choice, but it all depends on how much you like your boss. :D

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I have the 3 keys that Jeremy recommended. They get me through quite a bit of material.

They are Major Diatonic (i.e., blues) harmonicas. One is a Hohner Marine Band, two are Lee Oskar. I prefer Lee Oskar, but they're pricier -- for a reason. A harp playing friend of mine says that you can bend the living crap out of notes on a Huang. (I think that's the brand name, but my memory's a bit fuzzy.)

The Lee Oskar website has some good info, even if you go with a less expensive brand.

Maybe as an experienced musician he would like a chromatic harp, but those bad boys are tough to play. Stevie Wonder is wonderful on the chromatic harp.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Nicklab:

A chromatic harmonica is a really nice choice, but it all depends on how much you like your boss. :D

deffinately don't get a chromatic harmonica for blues, you'll ruin an expensive harp. a chromatic harp is only for clasical or pop type solos(ala stevie wonder "isn't she lovely")

chromatic harmonicas are a great challenge to master, just not for a blues player!

i'd go for the hohner special 20's(john popper's choice) or any plastic comb harps the "hot metal" harps actually worked quite good for me at only 8 or so a piece, but for something that will last go for a hohner or lee oscar plastic comb harp

:thu:

If you're playing blues harmonica, you're not playing the notes that are on the harmonica, you're playing notes that aren't on the harmonica.

You get these by bending the notes. It's called cross-harp. And it's easier to do if you have the harmonica that is a fourth away from the key of the song.

I've seen great blues players who really know how to bend the notes use the "wrong" harmonica and still play a killer blues solo.

And on a bass related note, if you want to learn how to play a blues solo on your bass, you could listen to blues harmonica players. They can do an amazing amount of things with a limited range and choice of notes and they don't have blazing speed.

Start with Little Walter.

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

A harp playing friend of mine says that you can bend the living crap out of notes on a Huang. (I think that's the brand name, but my memory's a bit fuzzy.)

Huang's a good brand as well. Met the owner a few years back, he's a really nice guy and a very good harp player as well. He helps sponsers these harmonica shows around the country that local player groups have. I have one but I seldom play it because I agree it takes time and practice to get good on one. Huang's the Ibanez of harmonicas, but they have some flagship models as well as the usual bargain-price lines.

Also, if you're not sure about buying harmonicas, how about a harmonica belt? They also make these bandolera-holders like the guy in Blues Traveler uses. (sorry for not providing links but I have to prepare for my marathon Xgiving weekend)

Originally posted by tatudbassman:

I've heard G,C, and A. In that order...but I play bass. Maybe I'll try a blues harp? Good Luck, and remember you get what you pay for (usually).

Blessings :)

Buy a C first. Then A. After that, I really like the sound of a D, but I think I probably use the G more often.

A Bb is not a bad harp to have, if you're playing against drop-tunings or woodwind/brass instruments.

But it's highly unlikely that you'll need 7. I own 6, plus duplicates of a few keys, and to date I have never actually played out with at least two of them. Instead of buying a set of harmonicas, figure out the songs you'll be playing and buy harps to fit them. It's only 20 or 30 bucks per harp.

My bad -- just realized that I have an A, C, and G.

The Lee Oskar site also has recommendations about how to figure out which keys to buy in which order.

If you want to really do the gift right, give him a couple of harps and a paperback copy of the book Mr. Satan's Apprentice. Trust me. It's a great book for any musician, I think -- and the central character is a harmonica player.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Edendude: The harp player who I hang with uses Lee Oskar harmonicas and seems to get the most use out of his A, D, and G harps.
Yep. Typically playing in E, A, D - with dominant sevenths. Then a C harp to play in G seems to be next. I like the lower pitched ones when possible ; }

deffinately don't get a chromatic harmonica for blues, you'll ruin an expensive harp. a chromatic harp is only for clasical or pop type solos(ala stevie wonder "isn't she lovely")

chromatic harmonicas are a great challenge to master, just not for a blues player!

i'd go for the hohner special 20's(john popper's choice) or any plastic comb harps the "hot metal" harps actually worked quite good for me at only 8 or so a piece, but for something that will last go for a hohner or lee oscar plastic comb harp

:thu: [/QB]

Uhm, check out Little Walter, he played terrific blues on the chromatic. Yeah, it's a different instrument than a "blues" harp, but there is a whole tradition of chromatic playing in the blues, though not many people do it.

in a sense iit makes more sense to play blues on a chromatic harmonica as you can play any note in the range of the particular harmonica. only problem is, it's much more difficult to bend notes(which is the typical charecteristic/sound of a blues harp) as well as potentially ruining the reeds.

i know this as my grandparents bought me a $150 herring chromatic a few years back(before i knew any better) and it's basically ruined now. i can bring it in to get serviced, but i think in the end it was not the correct harp for me.

you'll need to care much more for a chromatic harmonica, it's more of an investment IMO.

Just thought I'd let everyone know what I did:

I listened to the man with the blue bass on all counts. I got him Hohner Marine Band Harps in D, A, C.

Dr. Sweets, I might check out the book, but if it takes longer to read than the average poop, my boss won't touch it.

-Jeremy C

Am I really the only one here whose teeth hurt at the mere mention of "Blues Harmonica"?

You can't swing a dead cat 'round these parts without hitting a Blues Harp player. Seems everywhere we play there is at least 1 and of couse he has enough friends to bug you long enough - you finally say "Sure, send him up!" Do they ever know even any J.Geils? NO! and about 60% of the time he stinks! Then, the dance crowd looks up at you like you deliberately tried to spoil their party.

Out back with the accordian players fellas. Just my opinion though. :D

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Originally posted by zachg:

hey, i own an accordion!!!! :freak:

I inherited one with a brief case full of polka music from my wife's great uncle. But I don't have enough time for bass, let alone guitar and mandolin to worry about the squeezebox in my basement.

:eek:

-Jeremy C

Originally posted by zachg:

i think i'm going to pick up a melodica one of these days. anyone here have/tried one?

I've got a nice Hohner Melodica (HM 36). I played it a lot in the last band I was in (progressive jazz/rock thing). Sounded pretty sweet through a phaser and/or delay. Melodica's a really cool instrument that has the unfortunate reputation of being a "toy."

http://webpages.charter.net/amevens/andy_treemonisha_atomic.jpg

(You can't really see it, but that tube I'm blowing through is attached to the Melodica. Most people thought it was a either for a TalkBox or some sort of weird piano-bong.;-))

All your bass are belong to us!

Archived