Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ampeg SVT-3, GK 700RB-II or SWR 350x?

The brazilian dude

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never had any reliability problems with SWR, Peavey, Fender or GK amps over the past 16 years. As has been well stated already, most brands at this price point are fairly comparable. I have blown a speaker, and a horn in the past year, but that was probably due to a lack of power for my situation than anything else.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Originally posted by getz76:

If Peavey is available, it's definitely worth consideration. I agree with greenboy that most brands have similar quality (in that price range), however, Peavey gear seems to last; very durable.

Testimony might be the fact of how many old Peavey products you see lying around in rehearsal studios, band PA's, backlines, etc. Or is that because there was a larger population because Peavey was relatively dominant in that market?

I'm sure its a little of both.

Cockroaches,Keith Richards, and big ass,heavy CS800s will be left.

Question: the only diference between the GK-1001RB-II and the GK-700RB-II (exept for the power handling) is the equalization.

The 700 have a "In-Series Four Band Active" type and the 1001 have a "Bass Specific Series Four Band Active" one.

What is the diference? Is one better than the other or they just sound diferent? And how diferent they sound? Anyone?

And by the way, forgive my english, cause, for those who don´t know, I´m from Brazil (duh)... I learned to speak it basicaly by myself, so it would be better if you ignore the spelling and stuff, mkay?

And my quest for the head continues...

Please, forgive my english, I don´t speak it very well

I have one of the first generation GK 1001RB heads, and apart from the little bit of extra power it has over the 700RBII, it seems to have a pretty much identical front panel and EQ section.

The EQ section is not as good as the semi-parametric EQ on my Eden head, but it works just fine, and I always seem to end up going back to having my GK head set flat for most applications, anyhow. Some people make comments about the GK heads not having enough 'character' and 'warmth', etc, but I think they are just more transparent sounding than many similar heads from other manufacturers, and this seems to make them very easy to just plug in, find a tone you like, and play. I must confess to having to dick around a lot more with my Eden head to find a tone I like.

Here's a photo of my first generation GK 1001RB. As you can see, it looks a lot like the 700RBII...

http://www.nova4x4.com/uploads/112504/heads.jpg

And here's the 700RB II...

http://www.nova4x4.com/uploads/112504/700RBII.jpg

I agree with greenboy that certain players are going to have their own opinions about what sounds good. This is because they have a certain "hermaneutic" for deciding what sounds good to them. I also agree that CS800 poweramps will live forever, man it seems like everybody has one of those.

Originally posted by daniel elliott:

The 1001RB-II and the 700RB-II have the exact same preamp. There is no difference other than power.

Actualy there is one difference. If you check the GK site, you will see in the 1001RB-II specs that it uses a different technology in the equalization. I don´t know what´s the difference between the two, but it´s there.

Does anyone know?

Please, forgive my english, I don´t speak it very well

Originally posted by The guy from Brazil:

Originally posted by daniel elliott:

The 1001RB-II and the 700RB-II have the exact same preamp. There is no difference other than power.

Actualy there is one difference. If you check the GK site, you will see in the 1001RB-II specs that it uses a different technology in the equalization. I don´t know what´s the difference between the two, but it´s there.

Does anyone know?

I think you'll find the difference is purely in marketing blurb. Dan's the man when it comes to GK info - not only does he work for them but he also knows what he's talking about!

Alex

Originally posted by Edendude:

Guy From Brazil...

I have had a GK1001RB for several years. To me it sounds better in loud/live situations than most heads I have tried. It's been flawlessy reliable, runs surprisingly cool at very high volumes, has all the controls and inputs on the front panel, is light weight, and seems to make it very easy to dial in the tones you want quickly.

The thing I like best about my GK head is the perception of unusually high head room. The amp never seems to sound like it's approaching it's limits.

Frankly...

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those heads you mentioned, but I can only speak for the GK heads, as far as having had long term and real-world gigging experience with one of them. Or at least one very similar. The GK1001RB, and the GK700RB are very similar.

I think you will be able to get a lot of tonal variation with either of those heads. By I can vouch for the GK head as being able to pass the regular night club grind test, without complaint.

I agree with Edendude 100%. I own a 1001rb and 700rb and see no reason to change.
...simply stating.

Archived