Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Capasso Rocks!

73 P Bass

Well I drove down to Stamford tonight to see none other than Tom Copasso's band Stonefly, and they rocked! Very tight in a rock and roll loose kind of way (don't get me wrong here, they were a tight unit, but had that something-something that is RaWk). His guitarists both played with restraint and taste (with both notes and volume).

Tom and his drummer were locked tight, and Tom's alter-ego Dr. Zarkov brought the funk courtesy of some AWB, and Wild Cherry.

A good time was had by all, and my buddy Ian easily ate more than the cover's worth of pizza.

I got to meet Maury (getz76) too, which was an added bonus.

If you get the chance to see one of your Forum Bros., definitely take it.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by 73 P Bass:

Well I drove down to Stamford tonight to see none other than Tom Copasso's band Stonefly, and they rocked!

Good for you. Good for them. Too bad I couldn't be there. I can eat a lot of frickin' pizza... oh, and I probably would've enjoyed the tunes as well. ;):D

:confused: How much did you have to drink, 73 P Bass? A "bonus"?! :eek:;):D

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

:confused: How much did you have to drink, 73 P Bass? A "bonus"?! :eek:;):D

Peace.

--s-uu

Well,... Maury did buy a round! :D

But it's still all about the love.

:thu:

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

I will second that Stonefly does indeed rock. At one point there were 9 people on stage, including a female dancer.

The venue was packed. The rock was provided along with pizza. What else could you ask for?

I have some video of T.C. (not the one from Magnum PI, the Capassator one) singing. Give me some time to do the USB thing and find some webhosting. ;)

S-uu-PhD... not everyone can handle meeting me. This I can understand; I mean, I'm a freaking legend in my own mind, and I'm rarely wrong. ;)

Man, you guys on the East Coast get to see Tom rock and I'm jealous. I don't think I'm missing anything weather-wise though. :P What is it, -20 deg. back there now? No thanks.

He and Jeremy are 2 that I would go out of my way to see - if Jeremy ever does a club date (and spams it on the Lowdown) I'm there!

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

It was my honor to have two LD folks, each driving 1.5 hours, and being supportive. 73pbass and Ian were there early and stayed the entire time, and helped me a bit with my tone in the mix. Maury helped me pack up and load the car. Both guys were quite supportive - they repeatedly told me how great the band was and how sucky the bass work was. Also, I played through a Walter Woods amp courtesy of 57pbass. He had a gig also, but was certainly there in spirit!

The overall gig was destined to be a money loser because we were throwing the party. If you care, it cost us $300 to rent the room and bartender, $150 for the sound setup. we wanted the sound setup so we could throw some mics out there and record. And because it was afternoon/evening, we bought the pizza. At $5 to get in, we covered all the cost except the pizza ($220 divided by 7 guys). My son and his buddy worked the door; two band wives handled the pizza.

And we rocked. Sure there were lots of flubs all round, but it went well. Those who came didn't hear a break-out night - that's pretty much how we sound. All the players are pretty damn good. We had our new singer doing songs, and some guest singers (from the drummer and guitarists college band). The "female" was the wife of the guitarist (sometimes we get more up - it was the standard "Mustang Sally" thing).

Some folks from my new job came (I work for the keyboard player, so he had invited them). I got off the stage and danced with the office manager for "Hard To Handle". Lots of fun.

We were on a tight timeframe, because the club runs ethnic disco nights on Saturdays. We couldn't finish our third set (which would have included a great bunch of solos on Elton John's "Madman"). When it was "last song", we didn't know which to pick. Not a jam song - too long. We tossed ideas when my son and his buddy started calling "Brother Bill". Not on the list for tonight. We should do something that everyone knows. But the guitar player started doing it, and we were in. It's a fun song, and the crowd really dug it. We talked about it after - even though no one knows it (it's a Cactus tune for gosh sake), we get more and more people calling for it. And there's Maury down front filming it. So we did it, and packed quickly and scrammed.

Best of all, people liked us. Granted, the audience was invited, but the great crowd reaction was wonderful. They cheered for great guitar solos, grooved and danced, and appreciated some of our "chestnut" songs (like "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" from the Stones).

I'm shot today (lots of moving around), but the glow of a great experience is still there!

Thanks for everyone's good wishes.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Congratz Tom on a rockin' good night. Man, you NE guys have all the fun... :(

I have got to get up there this spring or summer. My youngest daughter lives in NJ across the river from Philly, and I've been promising to go see her for a long time. When I get up there I hope to be able to meet as many of you as possible....

Rock on

I think this gig will provide tons of pics and videos. The first 2 videos showed one of our singers off the mark, and us completely blowing the end of a song. I'm holding those back for now.

In the meantime, try this. This was taken by our sax/harp guy, who shot video on songs where he doesn't play. It was our opening song (actually two songs together). It's the Allman Brothers "Don't Want You No More" (instrumental) and "Cross To Bear", with a guest vocalist. I think the video is slightly off from the audio, but it's close enough...

Right Click and save this MOV file

My son is working on a set of photos that he'll host somewhere - will post when done...

Thanks

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived