Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MUSIC-RELATED Photography

g.

Part of my studio when I lived in Seattle:

The non-cased instruments area - that electric guitar started out as an Ibanez, but by the time I finished, that was just a headstock shape. Still a fine recording guitar to this day - incredibly versatile... Can anybody guess that bass that's facing away? ; }

Me at the Octapad, which could drive any MIDI destination in the studio - this was power for it's day. I programmed all these puppies! I even sold patches to two synth manufacturing companies!

More midi - to the left, a Sequential Studio 440 sampling drum sequencer. I met Jam and Lewis as a beta-tester for that baby. Above, copisous floppy discs of my sounds {that sure dates things ; } - and hardly visible below the keyboard is a 24-channel Peavey Mark VI sub-mixer with upgraded op amps. Great board!

In the racks: additional MIDI synth modules, guitar and bass preamps and effects modules, and manual and programmable analog and MIDI patch bays. The floor-sitting racks have power amps and whatver couldn't fit above.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't envy, tatudbassman ... I lost it all.

Some more from my studio of that time:

Me in sequencing computer area - VHS deck there for audio-for-video work hooked through stuffed Amiga computer that was used for video and anim work and synch with audio, as well as sequencing.

Mixing desk, one of two tape decks, and JBL large and Tannoy Gold nearfield monitors

Me at mixer with hand on transport/synch controls

Me in the main recording room - foam panels on floor for start of gobo building project. Used along walls to control acoustic properties. Becaue of the tiles, the less reflective drywall, and the suspendable gobos, this room was extremely flexible for near- and far-mic'ing.

Until wraub posts some of his outstanding photos of Anthony Jackson doin' his thing at the China Club, here is a photo of mediocre quality of me keeping 3 guitarists at bay in a friend's backyard in beautiful Skokie IL. ;)

SW fights the good fight w/ his trusty Carvin ; and, yes, of course I won! :D

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Both of course : }

Part of the retail area - software and instructional - the retail was MIDI SOLUTIONS, the studio was MIDI SUITE.

It was twenty years ago today, In a band where I learned to play - with design. We collaborated on this tee-shirt and learned about making screens. The shirt is no longer existent save for a threadbare piece of fabric which I scanned here.

Inkjet Proof of 11x17 poster for bands I worked with ... The Tee experience above led indirectly to designing J-cards, Tee-shirts, posters, etc for people I was working with as a producer/engineer, or shooting and editing video for. When these two bands went on a grueling two-vans club tour of the west cost, midwest and southwest, I was already making their videos and doing live sound for them. Note the carry-over of the facetious "World Tour". The rain cloud in the top left is for magic markered DATE and VENUE.

What are you sayin', Raven? - Willie's got the best shirt in the pic!

Another version of a 11x17 tour poster - this one intended for mass plastering, it prints for practically nothing on a two-color paper-plates press. The other poster was used mainly for venue frontage and prestige spots. My work.

My design for my cassingle - at the time feeding frenzy was hot for grungies in Seattle there were a few of us doing electronic stuff so we formed a cooperative to record, organize shows, and work together on promo, and as a publishing/holding company, etc.

When the Northwest-whatever Assocation (NAMA I think it was called) symposium annual showcases were formed we all put together some recordings, formed a label/publishing company, designed our promo materials, and cranked out some quickie cassingles to give away at our catered scouting party (the party was held next to Mudhoney's rehearsal space.

Lots of interesting people there and all band and solo artist showcases were well received. But only a few majors with signing power showed. And that was just long enough to scarf the great food, grab the merch swag, and discover we weren't especially about flannel and guitars.

My work, inkjetted first, then mass-printed. I went for a low resolution comic superhero look because it fit my band name and worked well with the limitations of the computers and the then-expensive inkjets of the time that we depended on to do our own thing.

Speaking of shirts: My here\'s the "greenboy" tee for the cooperative label - probably around a 300 have been printed and sold at shows or studio - and some given away too of course. I've worn out a few over the years, and only have this one and one with the sleeves cut off that's just about dead. My work, printed of screens made from negatives off my computer separated printouts.

The photo does not do the shirt full justice. It is a great Hawaiian shirt (purchased on the Big Island, no less!). :thu:

You will notice how all three guitarists are looking my way for rhythmic and tonal direction (not because I played a sour note -- because I don't do that... :rolleyes:;) ). They are not checking out Slick Willie's slick threads.

Or else they are entranced by the lovely tobacco burst of my bass. :D

Peace. :cool:

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

gb - lots of cool pics - looks like NASA to me.

When will the tshirts be available? Where do I send the check? I soooo want to wear one to the next LowDown hang.

When I look at Doc's pic, I reach for the hot sauce to pour on those chicken legs - anything to cover them up. Must be all the running....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

Until wraub posts some of his outstanding photos of Anthony Jackson doin' his thing at the China Club...

You rang? :)

So, I have a bunch of non music pics to post, but I wanted to get some of these on first...

Some of the AJ pics came out ok, but it's hard to find a good one where his face is not so... uh, expressive.

And Garrison is even worse! :D

Here's the pic post-

Anthony Jackson #1

AJ#2

AJ#3

My favorite AJ pic

Oskar Cartaya #1

Oskar Cartaya #2

Reggie Hamilton

Latin Music legend Ruben Rodriguez

Victor Bailey warming up before his seminar playing Birdland two-handed!

Victor\'s Sweet Fish

Pretty as a picture...

Wayman Tisdale and a normal sized Tobias

Matthew Garrison looks happy...

Our very own Ed Friedland looks like he knows what he\'s talking about...

Wayne Krantz and Co. #1

Krantz #2

Krantz #3

Will Lee & The Fab Faux

Jimmy Vivino talks about Will

Talking\'s done, lets play music!

Will and a British friend

Will Lee jumps a lot.

More to come, probably...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by greenboy:

Part of my studio when I lived in Seattle:

The non-cased instruments area - that electric guitar started out as an Ibanez, but by the time I finished, that was just a headstock shape. Still a fine recording guitar to this day - incredibly versatile... Can anybody guess that bass that's facing away? ; }

1962 Fender Jazz bass?

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

ClarkW, Bad boy! Tapping in Utah without a permit?

Wraub, Thanks - probably should copy your post into that thread too!

forceman, Nice! I hope you get a chance to use it once in awhile ; } ... Oh, yeah, check the shape of that headstock ; }

knuckle, indeed I did! think back to out phone conversation ; }

Some more of that studio:

Here I am, Master of my own domain , in Repose (after I compose). Or is that Thoughtful Repast? - I visit them so often I ought to recognize them by now.

Pretending I can play real two-fisted piano ... when I really don't have that sort of practice, or hand independence. But I can get by in rock, and can (could?) sequence up a storm. Executing the ideas, that's the main thing. And that's what MID/virtual tracking meant to many clients back then. Above that Ensoniq EPS (or had I already upgraded to the EPS16+ by then?) is the Sequential STUDIO 440 - teh deluxe sampling sequencing drum machine of that day, and because of beta testing how I got to hang out with Jam and Lewis.

The back room hideout where stuff got put until needed and for unsightly storage . Not shown: a minifridge (didn't need much with all the ethnic food nearby) and a cot and couch, and a bathroom withb shower too. All the horns there are electric. Drilled in neck or mouthpice for piezos (later some got mini condensor mics in the enlarged sockets). The green bass is one I customized from a Mustang or something, stripped to raw wood and given multiple candy metallic laquer coats, all new electronics, shaved neck, a ramp (way before Willis), hand-cut pickguard, two pickups, etc - just waiting for its owner. Later I'll try to get a picture of that.

Roland G707 guitar in hand , tweaking a Roland GP-16 preamp/multifex (maybe the first DECENT one made for guitar, within its limitations). That guitar had a neck stabilizer that looked like a Klingon bow, and was designed to track better to drive Roland guitar synths (you'll see a GR synth on the floor in an earlier picture). It had the first hexapickup I know of, and also a full contingent of conventional humbucker passive electronics to drive conventional rigs (of which I had a few, both tube and non-tube).

Various other rackables include the Sequential VS vector synth rackmount, whose brilliant sound and Dave Smith smarts were incorporated into the Korg Wavestation models that later came into my rigs. There is also a IVL PItchrider pitch-to-midi rack that I used with all my horns to drive synths and samplers and store layered patches and footpedal implementations. Also a Kawaii K5 additive synth (I sold patches to Kawaii as well as Sequential) and the venerable Ensoniq ESQ module, and a 4 presets pitch-shifter/harmonizer, a digital delay unit with maybe 4 seconds of delay time. Then a standard normalled patchbay, and a programmabloe MIDI routing and audio routing patchbay and mapper. Oh, and an Atari STe below.

I could actually operate most of this stuff to its fullest, having digested hundreds of manuals and spent thousands of sleepless hours investing in it. I kept manuals around however. There were filing cabinets and shelves in the main office for that, and article morgues and documents as well.

My musical multiple personality photos...

As the acoustic guitarist with 'Shy Mary'...

http://www.nova4x4.com/uploads/112404/bands01.jpg

As the Strat player with 'East of 61'...

http://www.nova4x4.com/uploads/112404/bands02.jpg

As the bassist with 'MOJO'...

http://www.nova4x4.com/uploads/112404/bands03.jpg

In my little project studio with my Strat...

http://www.nova4x4.com/uploads/112404/geoffstudio.jpg

Originally posted by greenboy:

The back room hideout where stuff got put until needed and for unsightly storage ... All the horns there are electric. Drilled in neck or mouthpice for piezos (later some got mini condensor mics in the enlarged sockets).

There is something fudamentally wrong about drilling a hole in a sax for a pickup. I certainly hope this pays dividends in the studio!
- Matt W.

Archived