Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

gigmasters

way2fat

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by way2fat:

I'm wondering if anyone here has dealt with this outfit and if so, how was the experience?

Hi Way2Fat!

So far I really like the professional appearance and functionality of gigmasters, but I've only been using it since September, and I don't even have my full promotional info up there yet, so I can't really attest to it's effectiveness and value yet.

I think there are two options in how to use the service. One is where you pay to bid on gigs and the other is you pay $99 per year, and then you don't have to pay to bid. I am using the second version.

Despite the fact that I have no photos of our band or soundclips up there yet, we still got an inquiry a couple of weeks ago. I submitted my info, but haven't heard back yet. It was for a private party in February in one of the nicer ballrooms here in town.

I signed up for a three month trial for $49.95. I figure that it would be enough time for me to evaluate their whole system, such as:

>>uploading press kit info

>>getting any inquiries

>>dealing with the customer support (which as of yet, I've not had to because it's been so easy to use.)

I figure that if we get even one booking a year, it would be worth the $99 yearly fee.

The biggest thing I like about their service compared to some other gig-booking sites I've found is that they allow you to put a "range" on your gig price. To me, that sort of 'pre-qualifies' people who approach us for a gig. If they see that our price is $3,200 to $10,000, and they still make an inquiry, then I know that they probably have the budget to support our fee.

The bid-request process is this, as far as I know...

• Someone who needs to get a live band registers with gigmasters.
  • They do a search by musical genre and geographical location (for us, we are listed under "Dance" "Oldies" "Live Band", etc. and our location is a 50 mile radius around the New Orleans area.)
  • A list of bands come up that fit that search criteria, and a photo, the first paragraph of the bio, and the price range come up with some other info. They can click to read further on the groups they are interested in.
  • Then they check-off a box of the bands that they'd like to receive 'bids' from. (To me, I don't really look at it as a bid, I just sent them my price and some info about the fact that we can negotiate on things such as lowering the cost by us not bringing lights or hiring a sound tech.)
  • Then I get an email letting me know when they have read the bid, and then they can email me back, and I can email them directly if I choose to.
  • I can see all of the activity on the gigmasters website, when I sign into my account.

The only thing I don't know, is how many people actually use gigmasters who book live bands!

I put a nice link (with their logo) on my band website, and am certainly going to tell as many people about them as possible.

You can do searches of bands in your areas, and see that there are some who have a banner on their listing that says stuff like "booked 20+ gigs though gigmasters.com." When I look at those, I see that they are mainly on the bands which charge less than $2000 per gig, so I don't know how many bookings I'll get.

I figure I'll give it a year or two trial. Hopefully during that time I'll also be building up a good bunch of connections with local (non-exclusive) booking agencies and all of the talent-buyers in our genre.

So far, I think services like gigmasters are a great compliment to booking resources.

Good luck! Please let us know if you try them and what you think.

... connie z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

Archived