Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha BB404F(Fretless)

Cristóbal Arrieta

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have that particular bass, and haven't had the chance to try one. However, I'm sure it would be an excellent bass.

For one thing, I've owned a number of Yamaha basses, including a fretless. None of these have been "high-end" basses, but each one has been very well built, very playable, and has sounded great. Something I really like about the lower-priced Yamahas is that they're good enough that you really won't need to upgrade to something more expensive for a long time (if ever, depending on the bass).

For another, I do own a Yamaha BB605, which is a similar bass (they're in the same series), but with an active preamp & 5 strings instead of 4. This is an excellent bass, & it gives me really good confidence in the BB600 series, & makes me expect that the BB400 series should be good, as well.

In short, I think it'd be hard to find anything in the price range that would beat it. Still, there are a lot of basses out there, & it's always best to do all the comparing that you can.

Can you get ahold of one of these to try it out before you buy?

I've never owned one but I have noodled on several different BB's in music stores. For the money, they're a good bass. If possible, you might want to try out some other fretless basses in the same price range, and see what feels right to you. (Ibanez makes a decent, affordable fretless as well.)

Good luck in your new endeavor.....

Originally posted by dcr:

Can you get ahold of one of these to try it out before you buy?

I can't get one... I need good fretless, but the money doesn't allow that... A play Yamaha BB404 (fretted) and i think that for the pirce it's fine... and i went to a shop and i play the fretless, i think it's confortable to me... and the sound, it's acceptable...

Thanks for the answer...

..."que me canso del seré y el triste hoy,

del cansancio y los zapatos e ir descalzo

y del árbol y su enraizada

libertad antigua y aun nueva"

Originally posted by Raven:

I've never owned one but I have noodled on several different BB's in music stores. For the money, they're a good bass. If possible, you might want to try out some other fretless basses in the same price range, and see what feels right to you. (Ibanez makes a decent, affordable fretless as well.)

Good luck in your new endeavor.....

In Chile the ibanez basses are expensives... the BB404F is the best price that i found, for sound and quality... Even a mexican Jazz Bass Fender i see it for US$885!!!! :eek:

Originally posted by dcr:

Well, if you've tried one, & it feels good, & it sounds good, & the price is good, then I think you've answered your own question!

maybe... but i want to read the voice of experience... you know what i try to say...

Sometimes, when you have an idea your mind close the doors of the reason... that is the important of comunication... learn!! and if any bassist have a bad experience with this it's better i know it now becausse after it may be a tragedy and i may be regretful for all the time...

Bring a more experienced player with you to the store (it can even be a guitarist). Have them check the build out for you. Is it finished well? Is the neck joint tight? Is it set up well? Is the hardware good (solid, no rough, or sharp edges)?

And then listen to it yourself, your ears are the final judge.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Originally posted by 73 P Bass:

Bring a more experienced player with you to the store (it can even be a guitarist). Have them check the build out for you. Is it finished well? Is the neck joint tight? Is it set up well? Is the hardware good (solid, no rough, or sharp edges)?

And then listen to it yourself, your ears are the final judge.

Ok, thank you... I'll do that...

Moreover i haven been reading so much about the build, the finish etc...

And that it's true: I need to trust on my ears... i think they have the enough training...

Originally posted by SteveC:

I also own a BB605 fretted 5 string and really like it. It's light, the neck feels great and I think Yamaha quality is excellent.

Ok.. you don't have any problem with the noise?

I have read that the mexican Fender Jazz Bass (similar price) had so much noise... but i never have played one of this... i have played a Squier, i think it shuold be similar...

Than you...

Archived