Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quick Tech Question (Actually Two)

Edendude

If one were to wire three same size drivers together in parallel, two of them 16 ohm drivers and one an 8 ohm driver, the 8 ohm driver would receive a greater distribution of power from an amplifier than 'each' of the other two 16 ohm drivers, correct?

And the only way to have an equal distribution of power would be to have matched impedence drivers, correct?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The two 16's would look like 8. In your scenario, this paralleled pair is now paralleled with the remaining 8 ohm speaker resulting in a 4 ohm load with half the power going to the 8 ohm speaker and the other half of the power being devided between the ramaining two 16 ohm speakers.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Is there any good reason to even do this? I recall you doing some weird-ass wiring harness some time ago for a .08 dB gain ; }

Once I know what you are trying to achieve here I can tell you a lot more than I can from a hypothetical "if train A leaves the station at 50 mph while a turtle has stopped alongside the tracks to take a crap" thang. What are the important specs on those speakers? Do they have similar qts, qms, vas, SPL, etc?

I was having a discussion with a fellow bass player about running an 8 ohm 4x10 cab and an 8 ohm 2x10 cab in parallel off the same amp.

My contention is that there will not be an equal distribution of power between all six ten inch drivers in this case, for the follwing reasons...

The 4x10 cab is internally wired as two parallel pairs of series-wired 8 ohm drivers, to give the cab a nominal impedence of 8 ohms...

http://www.nova4x4.com/uploads/111804/410cab.jpg

This means the 4x10 cab is essentially the same as a pair of 16 ohm 2x10 cabs wired together in parallel.

So for all six drivers in the 6x10 (two cabinet) stack to receive exactly the same power distribution, the 2x10 cab must be a 16 ohm unit, if it is to be connected in parallel with the 4x10 cab.

Just as if you wired three single drivers together in a parallel, all three would have to have the same nominal impedence (be balanced) to have the same amount of current or power flowing through them at any given moment.

Correct?

It really doesn't matter if all drivers are receiving an equal distribution of power. It only matters that adding a cabinet or not is achieving the desired results with an amp that is capable of driving a 4 ohm load.

Try not to mistake the forest for the trees. It is possible for instance for a cab that is receiving way less power to make more SPL at a given freq simply because the drivers in it are more efficient at that freq. Keep the eyes on the prize.

Yes...

I understand that. I even made the point to my friend that the cabs will sound just fine together and be pretty much balanced as far as 'acoustical output' is concerned, but despite this, there should be no illusions about the individual drivers in the stack receiving the same amount of power distribution from the amp.

Also...

We were speaking about a 4x10 and a 2x10 with identical drivers. An Eden D410XLT and an Eden D210XLT. Both 8 ohm units.

It was a purely hypothetical discussion.

Archived