Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When Do You Say 'NO'?!

Edendude

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For several years, my wife owned a highly-respected (by customers AND musicians alike) live music R&R bar here in Detroit.

I bounced this thread off of her for her response and she said: "Would they have been happy playing for the normal rate had they not heard the alleged information? If so, then do the gig; if not, then don't. Why cut off your nose to spite your face?"

I agree with her.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

But seriously, Forceman...

We most likely would not have taken a weeknight gig the night before playing a corporate Friday night gig, anyhow.

The fact we found out it's a corporate gig, just meant we figured it might just work out well for BOTH us and the club...

They get a good band for a reasonable price on short notice, and we get enough extra cash to make it worth our while taking the next morning off work from our dayjobs.

Having a day job makes it so much easier to say "no thank you". Me, I've found its best to not say no in so many words; better to ask for too much money or be booked "out of town". Once I was asked by a law school professor at nearby SIUC how much our Cajun band would charge to play for two hours at the opening of their new building. I told him $1,000, (seemed like a nice round number), and received one of the great pleasures of my life when he blinked and said "how much?" He hired us.

www.ethertonswitch.com

I don't play for a living (I barely make a cent). My first thought was like forceman's wife - what if you didn't know? The follow-up with this is how much do you want to play?

After reading the responses from folks in the "music business", I understand a bit better. You do know, so you have to decide. You also have to protect yourself from being walked on. And it sounds like giving up the gig wouldn't be the end of the world for you. Since you have a relationship with this place, you should be able to hold for your price politely but firmly, and they should understand (even if they aren't happy about it). If not, that's their problem.

Hey forceman, you and your wife should write a book. I suspect that you and your wife respected the various people you dealt with (at least to start).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

From a club owner's perspective, a band is like a pile of napkins. He has to buy napkins for a party but just because the party is paying more does not necessarily mean he's gonna pay more for the napkins. If he wants to get better napkins(read higher profile band) then he might because of the special occation. A band should premium charge if a large percentage of the audience shows up because they are playing. There are several band in my area that have a several hundred person extra draw wherever they play. These guys charge a much higher fee than the average band int the area, irregardless of their talent level.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Tom...

If we had not known it was a corporate gig, I can say with 99% certainty that we would NOT have taken the gig, as I said to Forceman. Just not worth having to get up at six the next morning for our dayjobs after lugging gear home at 3 in the morning, for any of us in the band. If we had been given a better rate to play the gig, it would have made it worthwhile for us all to take the morning off from our dayjobs. That's why we offered to play it for $200 per man.

And...

Coincidentally, we are booked to play that corporate gig in the octagonal joint I mentioned, the very next night. And for our corporate party rate with no questions asked.

We do have a good relationship with the establishment in question...

We had an email from one of the owners yesterday (not the entertainment manager we were dealing with about this gig). He was asking us if we could book-in for a series of upcoming gigs at the club, but that he wanted to ask if we had increased our rate to $200 per man on weekends. And he mentioned that the entertainment manager had told him we were asking $200 for the corporate gig, so he just wanted to double check if we had increased our rates in general.

We told the owner we'd love to play the upcoming gigs for the regular rate, and we also explained the situation with the weeknight corporate gig and our fee of $200 per man for that one.

We are waiting to hear back from them again. So it's not like we aren't still talking with the club, or that they have cut us off from future bookings. But even if it came to that, it would not matter. Two other very popular clubs in the city have just asked us to Book-in for a series of gigs in the New Year.

Originally posted by Edendude:

One thing we would NEVER do is ask for more cash once we had already agreed to play a gig for the regular rate.

Apologies, I misread.

Is this the club you do regular gigs at? If so, do the gig at your regular rate or you may no longer be the regular. ;)

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

Hey forceman, you and your wife should write a book. I suspect that you and your wife respected the various people you dealt with (at least to start).

Tom

Hi Tom!

We are great friends with many, many musicians. Many are professional--some have even charted.

Music is a rough business.

The bar business is brutal.

One NEVER knows how a night is gonna be...

My wife paid all musicians fairly--regardless of the door or the bar.

And this is why the musicians liked her--she was fair and honest. She told them (us) the facts and they respected her for it.

Still do.

Fellow musicians--if you are gigging for coin: quit thinking of the owner as an enemy, but rather as how you can help them stay in business.

I guarantee you--you will not only gain their respect but get follow on gig as well.

With a better percentage of the pot.

Been there, done that, bought the tee-shirt.

Regards.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Forceman said...

"Fellow musicians--if you are gigging for coin: quit thinking of the owner as an enemy, but rather as how you can help them stay in business. I guarantee you--you will not only gain their respect but get follow on gig as well. With a better percentage of the pot."

While I agree that thinking of the club owner as an enemy is a very bad idea, and that being willing to help a club owner stay in business is a good idea, the outcome of being earnest is not always as rosey as Forceman would have you believe. I too have a few t-shirts left over from playing the club circuit with many bands.

I am not cynical enough to suggest that all or most club owners are unsrcupulous, but I can assure you that, in my experience, its a 50/50 split between the honorable ones and the greasy bastards who will glady take advantage whenever they can.

So by all means treat all club owners with fairness and respect, but watch your back! Believing that ALL club owners will reciprocate your sense of decency and honesty is highly idealistic.

And Forceman...

This is no reflection on your wife, please believe me. I'm sure she was the kind of club owner we wish we could all work for at every club and at every gig. I know I do! She sounds like a real solid to me. We need more of those!

Archived