Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GC-Traded in my vintage Bassman for some new Ampeg schtuff

Rick Hoffman

GC is great, man. I got rid of the Bassman 100. WHen I rolled it in there to show the guys there were some wows and gazes. I still can't believe I got rid of it, but I never used it. It was big, bulky, heavy, and sounded like crap. So what the hell I thought, lets see what kind of a number they will give me.

They gave me what I paid for it. Yea, couldn't believe it. So its a win win situation. I gave them the bassman, and walked out of there with an Ampeg 4x10 HLF, 4 space rack case(nice one), furman power conditioner, and I also put a couple hundred down on a new bass, a Spector Euro neckthru model.

So when it was said and done I dropped about 400 bucks. The Spector is on lay away.

So when it ws broken down they gave me 700 for my bassman head and cab. This onw guy that worked there was like dude, you can sell this for more. I know I could, but to whom. I had an ad out and I got no response. Plus, the music store I bought it from had it sitting there forever before they sold it to me, marked down a few hundred bucks.

I wonder how long it will take GC to sell my old bassman. I mean it was cool to have, the novelty of it and all. But novelty won't get me heard onstage or out in the crowd.

But my new rig will! SVT3-pro thru the 4x10 HLF. And I can't wait till I get that Spector, its such a beauty. Custom inlays, EMG pickups, neck-thru design, really nice color blue.

But there is a part of me that always hates parting with gear. Although this rig I will NEVER part with.

Ciao!

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good deal for you! It's always awesome to pass something on at the same price you bought it! Good job.

The only piece of gear that I know I'll keep and never sell is my Musicman Stingray5 bass. That I can honestly say I will never sell...I like it far too much. I will pass it on to my daughter or my grand-children, but it won't be sold by me!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

John, that's not bad at all! The 4x10 HLF. and the SVT3-Pro, is very nice gear! I prefer it over the BassMans'. And the guitar sounds fantastic also.

Man, I get ripped everytime I trade. :cry:

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

Bassman 100? How old was it? The old tweed Bassman head that guitarist love and sounds good in the studio (that I didn't buy because it was $250 with the matching 4 x 10, and I could get a 100w Peavey TNT150 for $225, Doh!), was only 50w I think?

I think you made out very well.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

I always get to play through a friend's old Bassman 100 (Been around 'em a lot before too)... Fun for a few minutes, but I'd hate to gig through it. Better as a old school high-power guitar amp, for purists that are afraid of channels, pregain, and all that other modern tomfoolery.

Frankly, if it must be a modern tube amp for stage or recording I'd prefer at least the power and improved voicing and flexibility of Traynor. Better s/n ratio, more tonal control, adjustable damping/resonance, etc.

http://www.yorkville.com/images/products/sm_ybx1510.jpg

Or the Flite Sound/SonicCord 100-watt purist phenom, for those who don't want any circuitry that doesn't directly contribute to the tub signal path:

http://www.flitesound.com/images/product_imgs/Flite-Classic-Combo-for-Web.gif

Originally posted by greenboy:

Or the Flite Sound/SonicCord 100-watt purist phenom, for those who don't want any circuitry that doesn't directly contribute to the tub signal path:

http://www.flitesound.com/images/product_imgs/Flite-Classic-Combo-for-Web.gif

That Flite head looks like an old lunch box, but I bet it sounds great!

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Yeah, it's definitely a purist item for someone who's got a great-sounding old-school or luthier bass that doesn't need any tweaking and wants the same tone going out to the DI/PA as is going to the cab. I guess the guy that designed it has been working on it for ages, and been involved with tube design for decades.

Just as in studio gear, tube circuits nowdays can be even better than they were way back when, in terms of signal to noise, and stability at various temperatures.

EDIT: MY understanding is that the DI is 100% faithful to the sound since it is AFTER the power stage and not just the preamp, carefully stepped down and coupled by well-chosen transformers.

Well I went to GC today to check out my Spector see how she was doin, they got her inthe back on the case al safe n snug...

They have the Bassman out on the floor they want 600 for the head and 500 for the cabinet. Its gonna be there a while, I think.

I know they make upgrades for that amp make it sound better push more watts but I didn't want to get into that. i am very happy with my current rig now that I've had it a day and I've dialed in some cool tones.

The bass I am getting is on the Spector site. It is the Euro 4 model, Black and Blue. Beautiful bass, I can't wait to pick it up.

Later!

Oh I forgot to mention the Bassman is an early 70s model, silverface, EXCELLENT condition, No rips or tears anywhere. All speakes worked, 4x12 triangular design in the cab, all speakers pointed towards a main focal point in the center. Really cool amp.

And I hear most of good tube heads are based on the bassman design.

But I'm happy with my SVT set-up. I can't wait to play it out.

Originally posted by John William Hofmann:

Oh I forgot to mention the Bassman is an early 70s model, silverface, EXCELLENT condition, No rips or tears anywhere. All speakes worked, 4x12 triangular design in the cab, all speakers pointed towards a main focal point in the center. Really cool amp.

A friend of mine has exactly the same setup,

early 70s Bassman 100 head with the 4x12 Bassman cab, which he lets me use whenever I go over

to jam. In an earlier post you said

"It was big, bulky, heavy, and sounded like crap." Ok, I agree that it's damn big and heavy,

but I really liked the sound. Fat, warm and powerful; besides, I really like simple amps and they don't get much simpler than this. The bass channel has only 3 controls, volume, bass and treble, that's it! I own a late-80s Ampeg SVT-2 head which has a graphic eq, and you know what? I've never used the graphic.

If I had the money and found a similar setup I'd probably buy it. There are some other bass amps from the 70s which still sound great, like Ampeg V-4 and Music Man HD-130.

A guitarist I know has that Music Man amp, and it's a really great all-purpose amp: it sounds great with bass, guitar and Rhodes piano.

A silver face Bassman was my first "real" amp. Heavy, hard to deal with, and one really good tone. Add the hassle of tubes to the equation, and it got sold right quick.

Still, the biggest 2-12 cab I have ever seen...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

You know I didn't like the tone of my old bassman AT ALL for bass. But guitar...thats when I used it most, I played rhythm guitar in a band, I played a Fender USA highway strat through it, turned ALL the way up. It sounded so sweet.

If I were a guitar player, I would have kept it for sure.

But, at this time, my budget only allows me to focus on one instrument.

I think the one thing I've held onto through the years is a Yamaha acoustic guitar. That thing never left me.

I hear most of good tube heads are based on the bassman design.
Not really. More pay homage to it as a historical reference than actually execute it in similar circuitry. Most have found that design lacking in control of low end resonance, and its default voicing is not so favored in other designs - where more bass and more midrange finesse is desired.

Originally posted by Petethebassman:

Originally posted by John William Hofmann:

A friend of mine has exactly the same setup,

early 70s Bassman 100 head with the 4x12 Bassman cab, which he lets me use whenever I go over

to jam. In an earlier post you said

"It was big, bulky, heavy, and sounded like crap." Ok, I agree that it's damn big and heavy,

but I really liked the sound. Fat, warm and powerful; besides, I really like simple amps and they don't get much simpler than this. The bass channel has only 3 controls, volume, bass and treble, that's it! I own a late-80s Ampeg SVT-2 head which has a graphic eq, and you know what? I've never used the graphic.

If I had the money and found a similar setup I'd probably buy it. There are some other bass amps from the 70s which still sound great, like Ampeg V-4 and Music Man HD-130.

A guitarist I know has that Music Man amp, and it's a really great all-purpose amp: it sounds great with bass, guitar and Rhodes piano.

I have a friend/drummer who inherited all of his dad's old bass gear. This included the same Bassman head/cab mentioned above, plus a sunburst '68 Precision Bass and an Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man.

Plug that P-Bass into that Bassman and you get one serious tone that well represents it's era. Oh, and it's LOUD! Totally awesome, if you are in a Led Zep cover band :) .

Originally posted by greenboy:

EDIT: MY understanding is that the DI is 100% faithful to the sound since it is AFTER the power stage and not just the preamp, carefully stepped down and coupled by well-chosen transformers.

That's cool.
unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

Archived