Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT-Back For Now

Mike Bear

Hello to all who care. I've been on very infrequently for the past month or so. Damn computers. Any how, it seems most issues have been resolved.

Bit of an update. My band has been less and less productive due to many personal issues slowing us down. With that, and the cutting of rehearsal time, I decided to go forward with a project I've been telling my friends I would do for years. A year and a half ago, I actually started writing music for a metal recording that wouldn't fit with my current band Artisan's song catalog. Where Artisan is more thrash, speed, and progressive, this will have more doom, melodic, and gothic flavor too it. No, don't think Marilyn Manson. Influences are drawn from; Amorphis, Sentencned, Swallow The Sun, My Dying Bride, Silentium, Saternus, Solitude Aeturnis. etc. The drummer from Artisan has signed on to record. I'll be playing most guitars, keys, bass, and vocals. I am especially excited about having the opportunity to have some friends I don't usually get to play with lay down some guitar leads. Even a commitment from a guitarist I consider a modern metal icon. Well, I'll name him once he's actually recorded his track.

No, I don't have a name for this project. That's harder to come up with than writing the tunes. But I feel like I have something to look forward to and work towards again. I'm honestly hoping things will shape up with my band Artisan as that music is heavily in my heart. I will enjoy recording this alternate style of metal, but I still have a great love and desire to play what Artisan plays.

I'll keep you all posted with studio updates and such. Recording is starting late next month.

Mainly posting to say hello to all my friends here. Hope my computer don't crash again so soon. Man, my wallet hurts!

Mike Bear

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Mike,

Always good to hear about new musical projects :thu: Hope you'll pull it off !!!

I'm involved in a threesome myself right now :D Nothing fancy, just bass (me), drum and guitar. And there's talk of me starting a more danceable act in the summer ... Hope that'll come through!

Anyway, enough about me :D Keep us posted !!! Look forward to hearing samples etc.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about the "slow-down" on Artisan, but really glad to hear about your pursuit of this new project!

It sounds like something that you are passionate about, and so I imagine it will most likely be something you'll be very proud of and pleased with, when complete.

Have a blast, and good luck getting all of the players you are interested in. :thu:

... connie z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

When you start the influences-list with three Finnish bands, you know the greatness of the final product has to be at least of gargantuan magnitude ;) .

Please keep us posted on the progress of this new and interesting project!

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

Thanks to all for the warm wishes. I'll keep you all posted. There will be a web site soon. Though there may not be any tunes up right off, I'm hoping to tell the story of the songs/lyrics and connect to people that way for starters. I'm sad more people I don't know don't talk about lyrics and emotional value of music these days. We'll see what happens.

I was going to figure most would not recognize the influences. Possibly Amorphis, and Sentenced. I do listen to some Sweedish and Norwegian bands but those influences are more likely to hit Artisan thanthis project. My favorite Sweedish band is Hypocricy. Actually about 25% of their music is very doomy, and has a good influence on my writing.

This music has been written very backwards for me. Mainly on guitar. Cuase the vibe is more open it leaves lots of space for bass. But if I over-do it, I can kill the vibe of the song. My Fender Geddy bass, is getting the most use as I demo the tunes on my 'puter.

Once again, thanks to all who gave me a warm welcome back. Just to let some of you know, I still have not gotten everything back up on my computer, such as some of my email addresses. mike@artisanmetal is still down. You can use TeachUBass@aol.com meanwhile.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

• 1 month later...

Archived