Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Well, I finally did it-UPDATE

wraub

Those of you who have read my posts for a while know I have been without a regular amp on this side of the country, and what with train/cab being my main methods of travel now, that rig is not especially travel friendly, i.e. not coming here. Throw my finances on top of that, and it's been a wait seemingly without end for something "usable".

Well, I just ordered an Avatar SB112.

It should arrive soon, although not soon enough.

I'm planning on running it with a 300 watt head, should make quite a practice amp.

I'll post more when I get it.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Deerhunting Season Avatar:

If Guitar Acquire Syndrome is GAS,

Then what's Amp Acquire Yndrome?

or did someone already ask this?

ATM

I think it may actually be Amp Shopping Syndrome.

Although there does seem to be some relationship with G.A.S...

Peace,

wraub

Excellent! Glad to see that your tools are coming together. Equipment, band, and your playing skills - sounds like a good combination!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

G=gear. not guitar, you Amp Shopping Syndrome ;):P

just kidding :D

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

'grats, man.

Thanks!

For you, wraub, I wish that the purchase will result in your immersion in a great pool of funkelry! :thu:

Indeed! I plan to swim deep and long in that funky, funky waterway. And the neighbors are going along for the ride.

Ya' feel me?!?!

Like you're made of felt. :D

Peace,

wraub

Congrats wraub. Nothin like buying new gear!

Sounds like you'll also be able to use your practice rig for more than just practice.

If I practiced with 300 watts every day I'd probably be driving people mad in this house. Even though a drummer lives downstairs, he's somewhat cranky with noise.

So I got my hartke B600 for practice and some rehearsals...even that amp shakes the house when I turn it up.

PS - if you ever move into a big house seperated in apt's...make sure you get the apt on TOP, like I did. ;)

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Small size and big sound is definitely where it's at!

If I hadn't found such a good deal on a fifty pound Eden 2x10 recently, a 1x12 would have been my next purchase, too.

I was leaning toward the Aguilar GS112, mainly because of price and some good comments on the cab from other players.

You say you'll be using your new cab as a practice amp, but I'd love to hear about how it works outn for you at a small to medium-sized club gig, when you play one with it.

There's definitely a revolution going on now, where many gigging bassists are on a quest for rigs where no one component weighs more than fifty pounds. Including the cabs!

Hey all-

Yeah, I am hoping to use this in smaller settings as well as for practice/rehearsal, but it is primarily for the latter at this time. The band I am in right now is, um...loud. Louder than I would like. Possibly this may be a step on the road towards sensible stage sound levels.

At the very least, it should come more into play in my next band.

JW HOFMAN- Actually, I am in just such an arrangement at the moment, a 100 year old building broken into 6 apartments. Fortunately for me, I am one of three bass players in the building. Bass and volume are spoken here.

Often.

EDEN- The Avatar site list the cab weight at 45 Lbs, IIRC. Oddly, Fedex claims a shipping weight of 80 Lbs, so either Avatar is "conservative" about their weight ratings, or that is some serious packaging! I will let you know the weight accurately when I get my hands on it. As you say, there is a revolution in thinking in some parts ogf the bass world, and if it means less to carry, I'm all for it. :) If all can be trusted, I'm looking at a 45 Lb cab and a 30 Lb head. Nice.

ROB, Words Fail, Dan- I will definitely post a review ASAP. Fedex had the delivery scheduled for Monday, but now it's apparently coming today.

But I am at work, and unsure if I can get anybody in my building to be there... :(

Either way, I'll let you know what I think when I get it!

Peace,

wraub

Originally posted by wraub:

EDEN- The Avatar site list the cab weight at 45 Lbs, IIRC. Oddly, Fedex claims a shipping weight of 80 Lbs, so either Avatar is "conservative" about their weight ratings, or that is some serious packaging!

Wraub, if I recall correctly, for oversized shipments, FedEx ground will find a price and list the weight as the equivalent shipping cost (i.e., the box might be 50 lbs. packed, but since it's oversized, it costs the same as an 80 lbs. box). Too much ebay... ;)

Yeah, Maury, I work in the land of OS1, OS2, and OS3 boxes where I ship, dimensional weight is nothing new to me. It's just that he measurements of the cab seem to fall well below the level required, so I wondering about the packaging.

Hell, I'm just wondering about everything right now.

Will I get it today, thereby setting the stage for a full weekend of funkelry?

Will I get it Monday, thereby delaying the said funkelry?

Will I like it?

And what about Helen? :)

Just GASsin...

Peace,

wraub

Right on, Wraub...

My present band is rather LOUD too. I've now got me a 50 lb cab and an 18 lb head. As long as this little rig doesn't go up in smoke during the next few gigs, I'll be a very happy man to be among the 'revolutionaries', too.

:thu:

I liken it to my Acura RSX, if you'll excuse the automotive analogy...

Same zero to sixty spec as my old 5.0 liter V8 Ford Mustang, but from a fuel-efficient 2.0 liter four-banger.

:D

Hello all. On the occasion of post 2000 I'll update this.

The cab actually arrived on Friday, sooner than Dave's estimate. Well packed, in a nicely laid out shipping box, it was waiting for me in my lobby when I got home. Definitely not 80 Lbs- dimensional weight it is. I'd say that Avatar's claimed weight of 45 Lbs is pretty close.

It's well built and feels solid, but it's easy to carry and move, the handles are well placed, and the whole shebang sits in the living room, fairly inconspicuous. The wife even thinks it's "cute."

The sound of the cab is full, loud, and meaty, all things considered. It likely won't be confused with an Accugroove, but it does display the low B with solid authority and highs with surprising clarity, even without the tweeter rolled in. The tweeter is fairly hissy, overly so at normal solo practice levels, but I'm pretty sure that normal stage levels will mask the hiss.

The tweeter does definitely add "bite" at the top, but my bass has a fairly pronounced high-end, and a midrange "barking" quality that really projects through a mix, and this cab captures that without much tweeter needed, and without breaking up or farting- in fact, it was easy to get "my sound" out of it with the tweeter set at around 9 o'clock, and the cab likes volume.

I also tried the deeply scientific "pre on full, post on half, pull B string a 1/2 inch off the 'board and release" test, and the 12inch Eminence sounded great, no breakup at all.

Considering I still have a week and a half in the trial period, and a year warranty, I think I'll hold on to it for a bit. It's exactly what I was looking for- small enough for my apartment and my transport concerns, sounds big and full for practice and rehearsal, but I could definitely gig with it, and the price was right.

In fact, thanks to the wonders of eBay, this new Avatar cost me exactly nothing, so I can't complain much at all, really.

All in all, the notion that you can buy a completely usable real-world set-up for absurdly low money is a fact, and the realization that it can be light to carry and sound big as well just makes me smile. I'm convinced, small rigs are the future, and my bargain version will do me fine for a while.

Peace,

wraub

Archived