Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Digitech BP-8 How-to question

Gruuve

OK, I haven't gotten this guy yet (I'll probably have it by late next week), but I'm already reading the manual.

There's two distortion patches that I want to create. The first would be to overdrive the signal, cut the highs from the distorted signal, then mix it back with the full-range dry signal. (I'm after the bubbley, over-driven bass tone that you hear in some dance tunes...like No Doubt's "Hella Good", for instance).

The second is the opposite. Run the signal through distortion, cut the lows from it, and mix it back with the full-range dry signal. I can't think of any tunes that sound like I think this would sound, but it ought to be pretty cool...I *think*.

I'd also like to try creating a patch that only puts chorus on the highs.

I know this Digitech has a several different distortion patches, notch filters, EQ, chorus, etc. But how to accomplish these two or three patches isn't jumping right out at me.

Anyone who has this same gadget please post if you've done anything similar to this. Any guidance would be appreciated.

TIA,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None of those is going to happen with the BP-8 or the majority of the devices out there. And to be honest, once you have worked weith a device that CAN do parallel routing, the particular distortion combos you've named there end up not being disernably different than just shaping distortion with EQ, serially. It IS nice to be able to blend dry signals with distorted ones, but it takes very little distorted wet-side signal to mask what overtones are there in the dry bass tone.

With chorus, the same is true to a lesser extent. You need to have a fair amount of lower overtones present for chorus to sound very rich unless a sound has lots of sustained upper overtones - typically not the type of distribution a bass puts out. Wet/dry mix achieves about the same thing for the majority of tones.

GB, thanks for the post. Hmmm...I guess I'm thinking in terms of the "blend" knob on my MXR M80. I guess I'll just to spend quite a bit of time playing around with this guy to get what I'm looking for in a different way than I was thinking, eh?

I notice that the preamp has a "dark distortion" patch...that may get me what I'm after on the first patch I mentioned...we'll see when I actually get my hands on this contraption!

Thx,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived