Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Walter Woods

57pbass

I saw this post on Talk Bass and thought you all might be interested in reading it.....the guy who posted went to visit WW at his home to pick up his Amber WW...

Okay, I'm back with my new Amber in my happy little mitts! Walter was extremely gracious, kind, and very giving of his time! He lives in a retirement community in Palm Desert/Indio CA. You drive into the place (which is very nice, by the way), and you'd never know that one of the most influential amp builders of the past 50 years lives there! He answered the door, and although he must be in his mid 60s, he's still sharp as a tack and really a sweet guy! He showed me how much time and quality goes into each amp, and we chatted for at least a half of an hour about his time in LA, and why he does what he does. I have not been treated with the level of courtesy and respect that I recieved from Walter and his wife in a very long time. This may sound a little trite, but by the time our visit ended, I feel like I genuinely made a new friend.

I heard the rumor that has been circulating around about his retiring from building, but that is simply not true, confirmed by the man himself! He's doing great, and is running his amps in batches, like always! He and his wife build them by hand (entirely!) on a table in his bedroom! Yikes! Talk about a SMALL business! But, he builds each amp painstakingly by hand, and makes sure each one is as perfect as can be. By the way, my amp's serial number is today's date!! He stamps the serial number inside the amp on the day it is to be delivered! Cool, eh?

Anyway, no pics (I forgot my camera...sorry!), but all you have to do is go pick up one for yourself at Walter's place and bring your own camera!

www.danielprine.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is too cool. So his amp-building business consists of just him and his wife? I wonder if he has any sort of apprentice, someone to share his amp secrets with. Someone who'll keep the Walter Woods business/legacy alive when he's gone. As if his amps aren't highly sought-after enough already...
All your bass are belong to us!

Archived