Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dancing musicians ... You can tell who plays what !!

EddiePlaysBass

Just got home from a party, and I'm dead tired but I just had to share this with you :

I was dancing with a friend, and all of a sudden she says "See, you can keep the rhythm." I was like :confused: so I asked what she meant.

She then pointed to a friend of mine, who was doing all these flashy dance moves in an attempt to impress his dancing partner. But he was never quite getting the beat :D

And that just struck me as soooooooooo funny, because he's a guitar player. The irony of that analogy was just too much to handle :

- me, the bass player, just grooving along to the beat and enjoying the ride (well, in this case, dance)

- him, the guitar player showing off all these chops and trying to impress

We groove, fellow lowdowners, we groove :thu:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, that is SOOO funny...the lead guitarist that I played with through several bands is exactly like that...he can't dance for sh*t...can't find that beat...and his guitar playing is the same. Like you, he and I are opposites in that regard. I play bass AND drums...if I can't find the beat, someone needs to cut off my head, shrink it, and sell it on Ebay!

Great story! :thu:

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

LMAO!!

whew, that made my day. :D

sometimes though, i fell like us bass players can't show off ever. like, we cant scream into our pickups to make the strings vibrate, we can let a note sustain with feedback, we can't really hit those super high notes that give you goose bumps. anyone else feel the same, like we don't have any "tricks"?

don't get me wrong, i love my role of holding down the groove and bringing that full town that guitars lack, it'd just be fun to have some fun tricks.

:D

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

I've seen a lot of bassists on stage at least that look like they don't relate to rhythm. Or fun. No sense in believing much about it one way or another, though.

As for tricks: it's up to you. If you are strong you don't need to go along with the crowd - nor do you need to go against it. But if it is in your vision, in your heart, to go about it a certain way then do THAT to the best of your ability and do not let the small thoughts and habits of others deter you.

As for tricks: it's up to you. If you are strong you don't need to go along with the crowd - nor do you need to go against it. But if it is in your vision, in your heart, to go about it a certain way then do THAT to the best of your ability and do not let the small thoughts and habits of others deter you.

very wise you are....*begins to levitate*

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

Well, hell - I've done solos that have feedback segments and banging on the bass while one hand is tapping chords. I have distortion that collapses any guitar amp on stage. I've played songs while laying down... and was NOT drunk.

my trick is standing in the back and not looking like a complete jackass, much unlike my guitar playing friends :D;)

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

In preparation for the upcoming wedding, I just finished 6 weeks of "Ballroom Dance" classes. I know basics of "Lindy Hop" and "East Coast Swing" and "Ballroom Waltz" so I'll at least look a little bit like I know what I'm doing.

I guess the secret's out now... : {

Yep - bass players make other musicians look like clutzes - clutzes with arhythmic hearts! And they get all the babes. In fact, the paparazzi just snapped this last week:

http://phinixi.com/~greenboy-/MusicImage/SatNightLemmy.jpg

that... is really scary.
http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

when i dance with a girl. I want them to say to themselves..."wow he can really dance, look at his rhythm, this guy must be a bassist"

so i say in a very suave manner:

"hey, did you know that i play bass?"

end bad joke

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

I know plenty of musicians who dance like they have their nether regions caught in a bear traponstage and off.

One of them was probably the most talented non-professional musician I have ever met in person. This guy was an incredible bassisthe could play stuff you'd expect to see at "shredder" workshops and had a crazy funk feel in his playing.

But...

He danced like he the bastard offspring of a chicken and a broken electrical cable. He looked like he was posessed when he danced. And he never came close to being on beat. He did these weird little movements with his head... he just looked bizarre.

As for "tricks" that bassists can do.... well... Think about it... we're the ones producing the notes that people feel in their guts. Who needs tricks when you can do that?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

:thu:

"Have ya paid your dues, Jack?""Yessir, the check is in the mail." - Jack Burton

"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid." - John Wayne

"He danced like he was the bastard offspring of a chicken and a broken electrical cable." - CMDN

I dance OK - I'm certainly not good at it. I want to be, but never got to learning. Yes I can keep the rhythm, but I always want to do things that match what's going on in the song. My worst moment is always James Brown's "I Got You" - that accented part at the end of the verse - I can't NOT move on that rhythm.

My guitarist from way back wrote a song about how hard it is to get girls when you're on stage. At the end of refrain he describes his situation as "a left footed looney in a room full of Fred Astaires". No - he wasn't much of a dancer...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I grew up in dance groups. It was my love of dance music that made me want to play bass. In all the bands I loved, the bass player would not only be playing their asses off, they would be dancing their asses off too.

My biggest problem starting out as a bassist was containing myself on stage. I was dancing so much I was frosting a lot of notes.

It's also funny how dancing used to be about how original you could be and having a lot of moves. Now it's about posing, looking cool and not breaking a sweat.

My wife loves to dance so I am pretty well practiced if nothing else. The standing joke is I joined a band so I don't have to dance.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Not to bring down the whole thing here... Not many people here know about it, but those dancing bears are actually starved, beaten and tortured with nose and lip peircings so that they will dance for those gypsy jerks. It's very sad.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by CMDN:

Not to bring down the whole thing here... Not many people here know about it, but those dancing bears are actually starved, beaten and tortured with nose and lip peircings so that they will dance for those gypsy jerks. It's very sad.

Glad somebody said it. That is simply awful.
Check out my work in progress.

Jeremy,

Oddly enough, the local morning news was rife with bear reports, mostly from the local ski town. So many rich people have built sprawling mountainside estates there that all the habit land is being squeezed out at a faster rate than nature can accomodate for. A lot of developers have been going crazy with the closed estate neighborhoods for the past year or so, as well - so I've been hearing similar reports since spring.

We might as well just kill nature and get it over with ... I know I don't want the government airlifting more wolves, bears, and wild cats into this region because of problems elsewhere that the richer people in those areas have tried to wash their hands of.

This is the West : { -- Oops, probably went political here.

Have ALL the bears signed afadavits - or only some of them? If so, I suppose the gypsy race should be sent to the ovens.
I wish bears could sign affadavits or vote... But Yogi spends wayyy too much energy going after pic-a-nic baskets to get involved.

The Sad Truth About Dancing Bears

I'm not a super-political person, and I wouldn't even know about this whole thing if I hadn't watched a whole Discovery-type special about these bears in a motel room when I was on tour. Apparently the bears (mostly endangered species) are taken from their mothers as cubs (the mothers are killed because they're too old to "train" and also dangerous.)

The bears are then fitted with a huge metal nose peircing, which is pulled by the "trainer" to make the bear appear to dance. Or... they force the bear to stand on hot plates, which makes them appear to dance as they try to avoid burning their feet.

Anyway, the only reason I mentioned gypsies is because Bulgarian Gypsies are among the few groups of people who still openly engage in this very cruel and illegal practice.

I'm not advocating sending anyone to their death. I just want people to stop hurting animals for no reason. The pic you posted reminded me of those poor bears.

And no, I don't like circuses, either.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Archived