Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is this a steal??

Bass_god_offspring

Hey guys, i was just at my local pawn shop and found one of these:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/48/481773.jpg

now, they are selling on musiciansfriend for 499.99, and the asking price for it at the pawn shop was 260.00

would it be worth it to buy it as a practice amp?

it looks fine, though they guy wouldn't let my plug it in unless i was going to buy it, which made me A little sceptical.

anyways, and advice on this subject would help.

thanks a lot.

:)

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just bought a used Ampeg BA-115 for $250 + tax, so I'd say it's a good deal IF it's not trashed.

Check Ebay (search for completed auctions only) to see what these normally go for...if I recall I came up with around $250-300 typical...

HTH,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I've seen more pawn shop crap in disrepair; it's obvious why they don't want to let people plug stuff in or offer refunds. I insist on RIGHTS in writing when dealing with such Schmegheads.

that's a good point. i was thinking about that same thing.

my whole point of looking at it is becuase i want a practice amp to use during band practice, rather than carry around a whole 4x10 and head.

so, if i were to get it in writing, would it be worth it.

p.s. thanks for the quick response. :)

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

I haven't dealt with pawn shops and don't know if they suffer the same problems that some guitar shops do - anti-youth prejudice. If you bring an adult with you and they ask to test it, would that help?

Hope it works out!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

haven't dealt with pawn shops and don't know if they suffer the same problems that some guitar shops do - anti-youth prejudice. If you bring an adult with you and they ask to test it, would that help?

Hope it works out!

Tom

AMEN!! i couldn't have said it better myself.

the guy (very old buy the way) was quiet an A$$hole to me when i was there, saying that the thing was too heavy to carry around and plug in (It was on a three foot tall counter top with a plug a few feet away!)

It seems that even big places like guitar center, and other music shops think that kids or teens don't know anything, and let the 40 year old guitarists go off and do whater(That's at least the way i have observed it). the only real quality service that i have gotten from music shops is that from other teen musicians that work there.

once, an employee at guitar center said that i needed a 2000.00 sound system if i wanted to play a coffee house!! :eek: then the next day i researched it and found that i could spend under 900.00 on one. but i guess that's why online shopping is the best. :D

anywho, thanks again, i think tonight i might go there with my parents and see what happens. ;)

do you think the ampeg has enough watts to cut through acustic drums, and guitar in a three piece rock band, or should i stick with my Carvin 4x10 and R1000?

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

zzounds.com description of Technical Description

of the amp:

"Technical Description

Unbalanced Line Out

Mid Tone Control: Ultra Mid

RMS Power Output: 100W

Speakers: 15 ft.

Tone Controls: 4-band

Dimensions: 19 x 21 x 14 in.

Weight: 65 lbs."

A fifteen foot speaker!!! wow, someone's going for the low end. :D

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

I don't consider that enough power, especially for a younger guy playing with younger guys. I mean, a lot suffer with that little, but if you don't have to... I always see good buys on stuff so I don't easily get pushed into impulse stuff.

But it is a toneful combo.

I have the l'il brother of that amp, the B50R 1x12 combo. It sounds delightful, or as GB said, it is a "toneful" combo.

My B50R cannot keep up with drums, unless we're talking about a mellow drummer who knows how to play softly yet still maintain some dynamics.

It would not keep up with drums and electric guitar in a rock setting.

It kicks much booty in acoustic situations, low volume situations, and for at-home practice.

I say this despite the fact that I think it's surprisingly loud compared to its ratings on paper.

Might the B100R work for you? Perhaps, but I like what 73pbass suggested...

Originally posted by 73 P Bass:

Buy another cabinet and leave it at the rehearsal space.

This, mi amigo, is a fine idea.

Or get this for home practice (yes, that's a reasonable price assuming it's in good working order) and leave the Carvin rig at the rehearsal location.

Peace.

--S to tha' U to tha' U

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by BGO:

...or should i stick with my Carvin 4x10 and R1000?
For a 3 piece rock band, I'd definately keep what you have. A guitarist with just 100 watt Fender Twin Reverb will bury it. The Ampeg has a good tone, but is way underpowered (IMHO).... It is a great practice amp tho... I think 73pbass' idea has much more merit.

As far as the guy in the pawn shop, even though its a good price, with his attitude, I wouldn't buy anything from him just 'cause he's an a** hole.

Like greenboy said, pawn shops are notorious for having torn-up crap.... it really is "buyer beware".

I own a B100R, and all of the above replies are good. For small rooms, I've used the Ampeg with a 5

piece band and it did ok. I also like the idea of having 2 4x10 cabs and just lugging the head.

1974 Fender Jazz

2003 Musicman StingRay

2006 Gibson LP Studio VM

Carvin DCM1000 amp

GK 410 SBX Cab

SansampPBDDI

Ampeg B100R

I remember that you were saying something about your carvin setup not getting you good sound at low volumes.

I never had a chance to read the resolution to your issue.

If you HAVE to practice at a high volume to get good sound from your gigging amp i would recommend looking into a practice amp, so that your parents can have some peace.

Is moving your rig around a problem for practice? Do you have your own car? Is it a possibility to leave it at your drummer's house?

ALSO:

your name is Bass god offspring...who is your dad/mom?

From recent experience, i always think it to be a good idea to practice with your main setup so that you can get your tone and volume just right during rehearsal as opposed to on stage.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

If you HAVE to practice at a high volume to get good sound from your gigging amp -
That really should be a non-issue if one understands the Fletcher Munson curve:

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/images/Fletcher-Munson.jpg

X axis is freq, y axis is deciBels. Those various curvy lines show what the ear requires at various freq's to hear equal sound. The ear is way less sensitive to bass freq's than midrange even at LOUD volumes, and it's positively inefficient at hearing them (and higher treble) at lower self-practice volumes.

So to compensate when playing a rig at lower volumes one may want to use CONTOUR buttons and/or EQ on the head/preamp to shape the sound with more low and a little more upper treble. In other words, different settings for low volume work than for gig level work.

Look at those CURVEs though! Everything is relative.

I remember that you were saying something about your carvin setup not getting you good sound at low volumes.

I never had a chance to read the resolution to your issue.

If you HAVE to practice at a high volume to get good sound from your gigging amp i would recommend looking into a practice amp, so that your parents can have some peace.

Is moving your rig around a problem for practice? Do you have your own car? Is it a possibility to leave it at your drummer's house?

ALSO:

your name is Bass god offspring...who is your dad/mom?

From recent experience, i always think it to be a good idea to practice with your main setup so that you can get your tone and volume just right during rehearsal as opposed to on stage.

jason

my carvin problem for now is that i just turn the volume and gain up just until it gets out of that grey zone, then, from there i turn the volume on my bass down. o ordered some cleaning spray for the inside of the amp, but it was back ordered, and that was four months ago!!! :evil:

there's no problem with carrying my rig around, cept that a 4x10 and all tube head can get a little heavy when you live in a two story house.

i have a pickup truck, so that makes driving it around really easy.

i want to buy an avatar 2x10, and use that as both an extension cab, and to move around to band practice.

Bass_God=i play bass, though i don't know if i do like a god. :D

Offspring= tribute to the Punk band The Offspring.

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

Get the 212! It's much fuller sounding! Actually, get a Carvin cab again. It sounds better and handles low notes better.

...greenboy too leaves cabs at rehearsals and takes the head or rack home. His cabs have Speakons only and it is noted that his bandmates' kids can never plug into the cabs ; }

Originally posted by greenboy:

If you HAVE to practice at a high volume to get good sound from your gigging amp -
That really should be a non-issue if one understands the Fletcher Munson curve:

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/images/Fletcher-Munson.jpg

X axis is freq, y axis is deciBels. Those various curvy lines show what the ear requires at various freq's to hear equal sound. The ear is way less sensitive to bass freq's than midrange even at LOUD volumes, and it's positively inefficient at hearing them (and higher treble) at lower self-practice volumes.

So to compensate when playing a rig at lower volumes one may want to use CONTOUR buttons and/or EQ on the head/preamp to shape the sound with more low and a little more upper treble. In other words, different settings for low volume work than for gig level work.

Look at those CURVEs though! Everything is relative.

BGO's amp gave him fuzzy sound at low volumes.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

If there's only one way to get an a-hole pawn shop owner's attention, it's cash. If you have the cash on you, I'd bet he'll let you play it. If not, he's hiding something. In that case, tuck your cash in your undies and run.
Ah, nice marmot.

Originally posted by Bass_god_offspring:

...and all tube head...

Ummmmm, sorry to burst your bubble, but that Carvin R1000 head is not "all tube", only a preamp tube. In fact, if it's one of the newer ones w/ the tube emulation circuit it might even be "no tube".

A serious all-tube head would weigh almost double what your Carvin weighs.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Ummmmm, sorry to burst your bubble, but that Carvin R1000 head is not "all tube", only a preamp tube. In fact, if it's one of the newer ones w/ the tube emulation circuit it might even be "no tube".

A serious all-tube head would weigh almost double what your Carvin weighs.

Peace.

--SW

yeah, i figured it was something like that. i couldn't remeber if it was all tube or partly, so i guessed. i have the series II, so it does have tubes.

Greenboy-the 212 may be fuller, but the whole point of getting a 2x10 is so i can carry it around easier.

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

don't know if yo've noticed it, but Carvin has a 210. I think I might have mentioned something about it. Maybe even today, hmmmm?
yeah, i did look into em, but with my budget, even that is expensive.

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

Best thing I ever did, left my stupid Crate BFX100 at my drummer's house.

Now, I have a head/cab rig that allows me to leave the Crate there no matter, as I have a rig at home (though sadly I haven't had a chance to use it). The head/cab is easier to carry, though it will be 2 trips instead of one.

Oh well.

In Skynyrd We Trust

I have an Avatar B210. I don't think it is very useful by itself. Unless the newer versions have more bass response. The only thing I can say is when I used it by itself the first I was very disappointed. I bought because of the review in BP. They were way off on that one.

Originally posted by WCunha:

I have an Avatar B210. I don't think it is very useful by itself. Unless the newer versions have more bass response. The only thing I can say is when I used it by itself the first I was very disappointed. I bought because of the review in BP. They were way off on that one.

I have the same cabinet. Alone it's not too good, IMO, but couple it with another cabinet, in my case a Goliath Jr., and it really adds alot.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Archived