Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acoustic/Electric "4"

tatudbassman

I've had a Fender BG-29, which is in the price range I can afford. The problem I've encountered with these "lower price range" acoustics, is their totally unplugged projection. The BG-29 I had years ago sounded very good plugged in but, not totally unplugged. I didn't use it that much, so I must of traded? Now I'm looking in to another guitar that has the same qualities, just better unamplified output. I put some Dean Markley light phosbronze's on it, and they sounded very good. And seemed to help the output.

PLEASE HELP! I MIGHT NEED ONE IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS. THANKS!

:confused:

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by tatudbassman:

I've had a Fender BG-29, which is in the price range I can afford...

:confused:

Chuck the Fender, it's really an import from another builder. If you're budget-struck, I owned a Hohner for a couple of years, but I played 6 of them in one store to find the best one - quality control on these is somewhat lacking, plus the Shadow electronics get "buzzy" if you crank the preamp too much. Paid $300 for mine in a music store.

There are better Korean products out there. My personal choice is Michael Kelley: more than dealer hype, they have Fishman electronics and are smartly finished. About $300-$400 on eBay at the moment, and there are some reputable dealers out there. I also own an El Capitan but it's a little larger, thicker and heavier than it needs to be.

Hardshell cases are gonna add $80-$140 to the price, so you may want to go with a gig bag for a few years, but if you travel rough it's best to spring for the hard case.

It's likely in a couple of years I'll upgrade to a 4-figure brand, but for now my Kelley ("Mr. Natural") works, looks and plays just fine. Others have varying opinions, but I bought mine when I played an engineer's Kelley, and he wasn't going to sell his.

:wave:

How anybody expects an acoustic instrument with practically a guitar-sized body to make it as a bass is beyond me. It gets even scarier when considering a B string.

My friend's guitarron conversion has been the only one I've ever heard that had low end authority and could cut it at a campfire gathering. It has a face area more than two times that of a dreadnaught, and is probably three times the depth (rounded, bulging back). You could actually hear bass content (and not just slim pickin's), and feel it when nearby.

Originally posted by Big Daddy from Motown:

The Tacoma's are the best of the breed,but that said they (acoustic bass guitars)are basically useless instruments.

Electrically they sound pretty bad.

Acoustically they aren't loud enough to cut through in any situation.

Get an upright!

I agree that the Tocoma is the best of the breed but still not loud enough. I'm waiting for a fretted upright. :D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I'll certainly agree with everyone regarding ABG's. These things are a compromise based on convenience and "look" much more than true musical instruments. While you can certainly get a decent, if not wonderful "acoustic" tone when amplified, is it really worth the hassle of draping a LARGE box over your shoulder, schlepping that big thing around in a heavy hard case, in addition to STILL having an amp to deal with. And then, once it's set up and ready to rock, unless you're playing at extremely low levels, there will be major feedback and resonance peak issues to deal with.

So if you want to be ACOUSTIC, the only real choices are the string bass or guitarron...and you'd better play a guitarron before you buy...not much good for much more than roots/5ths, in addition to having stratoshperic action to fight.

A light weight, solidbody fretless will get you a lot closer, even though you'll still need an amp; but with modern amps, a small one is all you'll need for acoustic gatherings, even one with a ten or a pair of eights....

Here's my take on the design: resonant solid cedar, double carved, using a passive pup system with both a magnetic and piezo....

MP3 samples:

Solo, "doubled": My buddy Marcus Willett playing his fiver

Jazz: Brian Gingrich from Chicago

Bluegrass( bass mixed low ): Brett Hodges on eC bass and mandolin

And my poor attempt, although I really tried to cop the "string bass" vibe on this solo ditty: I have issues, intonation issues :eek:

Thanks...Yea, the Fender (that I used to have) did look like the Ibanez sorta. And, I have a "5" Yamaha/"4" ASM Jazz. And they do fine playing with acoustic guitar onstage. But the prob was the campfire deal. Maybe a "Pig Nose"? Then that (power) would be another thing, plus the sound coming out of something that small. The smallest practice amp I have is a MicroBass, and it sounds pretty good at home, without everyone getting pissed-off. :confused:

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

Originally posted by dave251:

I'll certainly agree with everyone regarding ABG's. These things are a compromise based on convenience and "look" much more than true musical instruments. While you can certainly get a decent, if not wonderful "acoustic" tone when amplified, is it really worth the hassle of draping a LARGE box over your shoulder, schlepping that big thing around in a heavy hard case, in addition to STILL having an amp to deal with. And then, once it's set up and ready to rock, unless you're playing at extremely low levels, there will be major feedback and resonance peak issues to deal with.

So if you want to be ACOUSTIC, the only real choices are the string bass or guitarron...and you'd better play a guitarron before you buy...not much good for much more than roots/5ths, in addition to having stratoshperic action to fight.

A light weight, solidbody fretless will get you a lot closer, even though you'll still need an amp; but with modern amps, a small one is all you'll need for acoustic gatherings, even one with a ten or a pair of eights....

Here's my take on the design: resonant solid cedar, double carved, using a passive pup system with both a magnetic and piezo....

MP3 samples:

Solo, "doubled": My buddy Marcus Willett playing his fiver

Jazz: Brian Gingrich from Chicago

Bluegrass( bass mixed low ): Brett Hodges on eC bass and mandolin

And my poor attempt, although I really tried to cop the "string bass" vibe on this solo ditty: I have issues, intonation issues :eek:

I actually have gotten some good results recording with them. They seem to "fit" some songs better than traditional electric bass.

Well, they sure are fun to have around in campfire jams. :) Try bringing your upright when camping... :P

Seriously, I'd probably have a builder make me a chambered solidbody bass guitar with an active piezo on the bridge, plus an internal mic close to the neck. That ought to make some hellacious, acoustic type sounds for recording and live use. Perhaps a design based on Holdsworth's Fatboy guitar. would be useful.

I've never played an upright. If I want to go to Berklee, or an equivilent, I'll probably need to learn. But, it feels sorta weird for some reason. Visons of hillbilly's pop into mind but, I'm strange. I've messed with one (3/4) at Mars Music, and I had to look around to make sure no one was watching. Plus no fret markers. That made it interesting!

:freak:

Vince

Dave Wendler's sound samples sound incredible and today I made the first step toward possibly getting one.....I told my wife I needed three more basses.

She said "three?, wouldn't one be enough?"

And so there we are.

Meanwhile, if you want to be heard without amplification with an acoustic bass guitar, it just is not going to happen.

Ben, if I'm not mistaken, even those doghouses need to be amplified. So basically everything capable of producing bass notes over the past few hundred years represents some form of compromise (scale length, materials, pickups, etc.) on an instrument that would be nearly impossible to build, play or carry around. Yes, an AEB isn't a real bass - neither is a fretted/fretless-solid/semi/hollow-body 4/5/6...18 string bass - but we play them anyway. A rose by any other name...

For that matter, what produces a real (mathematically-accurate soundwave) bass note anyway? I'd vote for a cathedral organ with a full set of pipes, but it ain't gonna fit in my Hyundai.

Are we having fun yet? :D

Originally posted by dave251:

Originally posted by lug:

I actually have gotten some good results recording with them. They seem to "fit" some songs better than traditional electric bass.

Lug: Was that with a microphone, or using the internal pickup too?
Just with the built in piezo. I find they work well with certain effects, also.

For the original poster who seems to be in a big hurry because obviously he needs this instrument for a gig, here is my recommendation.

Buy one online from Musicians Friend. You'll get in a few days. After your gig, return it.

That way you'll have the use of the bass for the cost of shipping it back to them.

And you'll know why we are all telling you why an abg will never be loud enough.

Thanks Jeremy/Maury. I guess this is why I didn't keep that BG-29 years ago. If it wasn't "plugged in", you couldn't hear it.

Hell, I thought I was going to get flamed.

Ooops...now I did it :mad:

Vince

I play alot of Acoustic gig's. I have 4 ABG's

all strung with Phospher Bronze strings.

That is the key to getting the volume.I very

rarely plug one in, as stated in other post's

they do feedback, and you have to use a soundhole plug,wich makes using the Bass a waste, I have plenty of electric Basses for that.here are the ones I use.

Washburn AB-20

Carlo Robeli (Sam Ash house brand)martin copy.

same as above, De-Fretted

Dean performer Plus 5 string

The Dean is the only one that can not keep up

volume wise, with a drummer & 2 Acoustic Guitars.

It is marginal with one Guitar.

The Carlo Robeli Basses I purchased for under $200.I am a finger player mostly, but for most

songs the ABG's sound better when played with a pic. I have different gauge pics, depending on the song and if I am sweeping chords or not.

Most of the time I play with a green Tortex .88mm

100% of my earnings in the last 2 years have come from playing unpluged. Also once word gets out in your area you play unpluged the offers start coming in.

Originally posted by NV43345:

I play alot of Acoustic gig's. I have 4 ABG's

all strung with Phospher Bronze strings.

That is the key to getting the volume.I very

rarely plug one in, as stated in other post's

they do feedback, and you have to use a soundhole plug,wich makes using the Bass a waste, I have plenty of electric Basses for that...

I'm curious. Instead of plugging the AEBs in, have you tried miking them? Any recommendations on choices and ideal mic placement positions?

I've managed to handle the feedback with a Kaman Feedback Buster (for the MK) and a Dr. Evil black T-shirt (for the Epiphone). Plus using the heel of my right hand as a selective mute while finger-picking. Kinda like the sound of those piezos when they're EQ-ed right.

• 1 year later...

In an effort NOT to start a new thread, I used the search function and dug this topic up.

I'm in a bit of a gear turnover phase, and one of the things I've been seriously about is an acoustic bass guitar. I know about the drawbacks and that they don't play well with others :D from a volume standpoint.

With that being stated, what are some of the ABG's that people have used to some success? The one I've had in mind for some time is a Guild B-30, but that model is discontinued and they seem to be a little scarce on the secondary market. So I'm curious about what others are using as far as ABG's these days. Which have some of the better onboard preamps? Which have some of the better amplified sounds?

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

The Taylors are supposed to be top dog but they are discontinued and very expensive. Tacoma thunderchiefs are nice as well, and I like guild acoustics but have heard of problems with top pressure on them.

Do you want a more upright like thud or abg "brian ritchie" type clang?

I personally play a rob allen to fill the acoustic void and I love her.

Well, I would suggest checking out a lot of the acoustics at your local stores, but I like the tacoma thunderchiefs, they have good projection and they can nail a brian ritchie type sound with the right strings, although Brian ritchie is famous for his use of the ernie ball earthwood abg, that's a whole nother ballgame though. I also like the guild acoustics alot, and I have seen a few over ebay go for ok prices. I guess I would just go look around the local stores and stay updated on ebay all the time.

That sound is definitely what i think of when I think of abg's as well. I also really dig bryan beller's sound on his taylor, maybe you could check out his website and listen to songs like no off of view, and the unplugged page on his download section. www.bryanbeller.com

Good luck in your search Nick.

Oh, I know the Earthwood's are insanely priced...if you can even find them! But Brian Ritchie also played the Guild B-30, and that's been fairly high on my list.

I'll make a point of checking out the Thunderchief. I know others have mentioned the Epiphone El Capitan. And OMG, Beller sounds sick on that Taylor!

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Affordable ABGs. Hmmmm. Tricky.

The Godin and Rob Allen style ABGs are worth owning in my view. Once you accept an acoustic bass isn't even going to match an acoustic guitar for volume, then you can relax and buy purely for tone. That's why a fretless ABG has particular value. It's great for practicing, as you don't need to plug in, and you can really concentrate on tone and finger techniques.

Having said that, amplifying an ABG, especially a fretless, becomes a lifelong quest. With my Godin, it's very difficult to replicate the pure acoustic tone when amplified. Ask Max Valentino about this, or better still check out his previous posts on the subject.

I don't know how many basses Jeremy C has, but once you have more than 2, there's room for an ABG.

I might try his technique with my wife. Suggest 3 and get 1!

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Archived