Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Anyone else hate Newyear?

EddiePlaysBass

I do. I really, really, REALLY do !!!! Every single year it's the same old song and dance: I ask the misses what she wants to do. No clue. I propose something. No go. She proposes something. I don't like it. In the end we do something her friends suggest and neither of us end up having much fun.

It's all one big hype.

And it's always fun to have friends to count on. One minute they say: yeah we'll get together and discuss things. The next minute it turns out they HAVE discussed things. Behind your back. Nice. A take-it-or-leave-it offer ...

I wish I had a gig planned for that night :mad:

Sorry. Had to get this off my chest.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're not big NY people. I've never gigged for it, and only been to a public place once. Sometimes it's been fun if my kids have a party. Sometimes we've been with friends or relatives - fun but not wild. For a while, my wife's brother and wife would be visiting town for Christmas around New Years. We'd get together, have coffee and cake, and they'd go back to my in-laws around 11. We'd be in bed by 11:30.

Yep - life of the party - that's us!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Why would you hate New Year's?

It's the highest paying night of the year!

This year I'm getting $600. That's just for me.

I'll be playing with a six piece band. You can do the math. Don't forget to add in agent's fees.

On new year's eve between 1999 and 2000, we got $1000 each. And that night we had an eight piece band.

I've worked every new year's eve since Dec. 31, 1965. I got $30 for that one, and it seemed good at the time since it was three times what I usually got for a gig that year.

New Year's Eve is a very big holiday in the U.S. Everyone feels that they must go out and do something and nearly every musician who wants to can get a gig.

I'm sure others will make less and others will make more than I do. I'm not bragging. Just the facts, ma'am.

New Years eve in Germany ("Sylvester" in German, really!) is a real blast! Literally!

Fireworks being set off by (it seems) everybody, the sky all lit up with beautiful colors.

Some great parties, too..

Why not head to Berlin to celebrate the arriving New Year there?

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I don't know why you brought this up so early but lets see...

- A night a the in-laws, where I'm the only one that doesn't speak spanish and 2 out of 20 can speak English. Last year I spent 2 hours watching the Spanish Soap Opera Awards (shoot me).

- Almost no drinking because too many either can't handle it, are totally against it, or sneak out to the garage and drink in a manner that you shouldn't. (drink almost a whole bottle of hard liquor in 10 minutes and everyone pays for your stupidity later)

- Shortly after midnight, everyone reminises and prays for their dead relatives.

- The house is about 120 degrees and you can't open a window.

Yea, what's not to love.

I've tried to make plans but I'm always shot down.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I can no longer hang with the intense talk of music and bass and will be looking for an Ashlee Simpson forum where the talk is lightweight and easy to follow.

After my New Year's gig and its filthy lucre, that is.

C'mon guys! Why so passive/aggressive? Just pick something to do and do it!

Dec 30th, 1999, my wife decided on the spur of the moment that she wanted to be in Times Square for New Years. I had no better idea, but I was worried about the logistics. Then I thought, "well, I could go and worry the whole time, not go and sit on my ass, or go and try to have a great time". We got there in the afternoon of the 31st, and even though we walked out of Palm at 8:30pm, we still got as close as the corner where the library is (sorry, I haven't been to NYC in a few years). We didn't quite see the ball drop, but we did see fireworks. To give you an idea of how many people were jammed in there, I accidently dropped my cell phone, and it never got lower then shoulder height. I couldn't raise my arms to grab it, and my wife's feet were off the ground for minutes at a time.

But despite these dangerous conditions, everyone in the immediate area was very kind and optimistic.

New Years is the ONE DAY of the year that you should put all the negativity aside and have a good time.

Although $600 per bandmember sounds great to me.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

New Years is the ONE DAY of the year that you should put all the negativity aside and have a good time.

No, every day should be like that :D I just hate the fact that you're supposed to have fun no matter what ...

Although $600 per bandmember sounds great to me.
Don't quite disagree !!! Jeremyc: I don't have a gig on NY. Wish I had. Then I had an excuse not to celebrate :D

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

You mean "amateur's night" don't you? I hate New Years because all the people out. It's never been a holiday that I've gotten in to.

We've got a gig out of town that night too. I'm not too excited, but it's decent money. I'm going to be VERY careful driving home. Which leads me to my next problem with NYE. Drunk drivers.

Last NYE for me was great. The mrs. and I ordered in a great meal of crab legs, steak, and alfredo, with salads and all the trimmings. Some friends stopped over and we just chilled and visited. Perhaps I'm getting old... :cool:

It's not WHAT you're doing on NYE, it's WHO you're doing it with.

Put another way: "success" is a well-paying gig on NYE. "happiness" is spending the night with a special someone.

A few billion people can't be wrong. :cool:

I get a great kick out of NYE. If I'm not playing (rare) I'm with good friends. Out with the old, in with the new.

Last year was a private party/Pool Party gig thing - this year is going to be playing on a Cruise/Gambling Ship.

Side Benefit to this years Party: I get to watch/cheer on all those folks as they bet/lose money on games I might have been playing if I wasn't working. Much safer, and less expensive!!

:P

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

I've lived in NY my entire life, and I just don't care for New Year's Eve. That Dick Clark guy scares me, too. Truthfully, I find it to be kind of an arbitrary occassion. I try to stay home in an effort to not get killed by people who drink once or twice a year and decide to drive themselves home that night.

As far as playing gigs on New Year's, it's not really my deal. I don't play the kind of music that's conducive to playing New Year's partys. I'd much rather play a Halloween gig in NYC's Greenwich Village with the Halloween Parade going on just blocks away. That's a great time to gig, IMO.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Originally posted by butcherNburn:

I don't know why you brought this up so early but lets see...

-Last year I spent 2 hours watching the Spanish Soap Opera Awards (shoot me).

Yea, what's not to love.

Oh, that sounds like some fun. . . :freak:

Bruiser

I imagine I will work this year. Last year we partied with our closest friends and their kids and it was okay but that was the first time in 9 years I hadn't worked it. Since then, my wife and I quit smoking and subsequently quit drinking too. If I don't work it, I'll probably go to bed at the usual time and hang up on anybody that calls and says "HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

In 1997 I played in a band on a float with the Yeager Girls in the Reno New Years Day parade. The temperature reached a balmy 24 degrees that day but we were fed Yeager for the entire ride so it was all good.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Originally posted by mattulator:

In 1997 I played in a band on a float with the Yeager Girls in the Reno New Years Day parade. The temperature reached a balmy 24 degrees that day but we were fed Yeager for the entire ride so it was all good.

That could quite possibly be the best gig ever...

Ever...

I'm with Tom (even though I'm tempted by Jeremy's gig.)

We have friends over, all of us, all of our kids. I cook...last year it was stir-fry. I often make black-eyes and corn bread. And Split Pea Soup.

Rent the movie, sit and watch it. After a while all of us are snoozin' and pretty soon, somebody says "Happy New Year."

And when that happens, I always expect some kind of singularity to flow through my body, as if some rare and special celestial event had just happened.

But instead, it just marks about 1 month of misdating my checks.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I like New Years Eve shows.

They usually pay better than my average show ...

I get to break out the Tux and its one of the few shows my better half comes out to...

I do not like driving home afterwards....

100% defensive mode and in the slow lane....

There always seems to be drunks at shows I play so a few more on New Years Eve really does not matter ...as long as they stay away from me...

If I am not performing I am with my family at home....

I was also in Times Square celebrating the new milenium...great fun all night long..no trouble..we even took the subway home @ 4:00AM.

www.danielprine.com

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

I cook...last year it was stir-fry. I often make black-eyes and corn bread. And Split Pea Soup. Rent the movie, sit and watch it.

Sounds good to me - I'll be there!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I would be content to stay at home, jam by myself, flip on the tube in just in time to see the ball drop, and continue playing. After that, have 4 or 5 sangrias and go to bed. If the neighbors were up late and loud, get up early and rock the house. That would be a dream new years for me.

I never understood the the appeal of being in Times Square for new years (i gotta pee just thinking about it).

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Just picked up a gig with some folks I know for New Years. Good money. Good songs. Should be a good time. I know most of the songs already so I don't have to put myself through the ringer learning them. It'll be fun. Here's the setlist.

It's your thing (instrumental)

I'll take you there

Signed sealed delivered

smiling faces sometime (joan osbourne)

golden years

lowdown

can't take my eyes off of you

you got the love (chaka kahn and rufus)

when you get back (rarely)

come and get your love (redbone)

schoolboy crush (AWB)

steal my kisses

clean up woman (betty wright)

young american

doin' time (sublime)

sexual healing

d'yer maker

cripple creek

boogi on reggae woman

get ready

sunshine woke me up this morning (labelle)

blackout (john scofield)

I just wanna celebrate

Last night (the strokes)

fell in love with a boy (Joss Stone version)

Superstition

Musicology

You can make it if you try

love rollercoaster

who's that lady

lady marmalade

let's get it on

shining star

i will survive

serpentine fire

sing a simple song

Wouldn't say I hate it. I've had a gig the last 3 years with the old band. They've been OK. Nothing special.

I'll be a newly wed this year, so I'm gonna try to take it easy and spend some time with Robin. I might break out the upright and do a free-be with a friend. He does a "cabaret" show - standards with piano. I suggested a bass might be a nice addition.

As I get older, I do find Ilike more quiet evenings. I get tired real fast o fdrunks and smoke-filled bars. Guess that's why I'm not in a hurry to get in that type of band any more.

NYE is no big deal in my life... I gigged every NYE for a lot of years, but happily have only played a few in the last ten years. While parties and clubs are mostly civilized, there have been those that have the NOLA Bourbon St-style groups that are there only to drink enough to have an excuse to misbehave. Drunks are no fun to deal with.

Had a couple offers for the one coming up but turned them down, neither would be fun, but would really be a chore, too much like work.

Fahgedabodit.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Archived