Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone See 'Ray' Yet?

Edendude

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was awed by the movie. The filmmakers definitely did the right thing with this one. While it featured plenty of his mastery in making music and business dealings, it was quite frank about his childhood, his womanizing, and his periods of drug abuse, which was never glamorized. There are also nice moments of comic relief, as well. It's about as well balanced as one could get in this sort of film.

Well worth watching. I couldn't understand why the New York Times review said that this was just a very good film. It's f*****' great, man.

I second the revies here. Definitely a well made bio. pic and the period music/venue scenes had a great look similar to Wolff's famous Jazz photos with the swirling cigarette smoke and neon signs.

I'm sure there were a few partings from fact but overall it seemed pretty accurate. The storytelling was done with artful flashbacks and Jamie Foxx is most definitely a major Oscar contender. I never even for one single second, "forgot" that it wasn't really Ray on screen! I just wish it had gone a little further toward the present. (It basically "ends" in 1965 or thereabouts...

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

Jamie Foxx is an insane musician. On his sitcom on the wb he often threw some things in there that really showed his musical talent.

He's a really good singer. You can hear him sing and play piano on a song named:

"slow jamz" by kanye west. He sings the hook and plays piano at the end.

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

I devoted about 20 seconds of daydreaming to this subject last night and realized that for someone of Jamie Foxx's musical and theatric training/history, getting to play Ray Charles is about the biggest "dream gig" he could ever imagine. Good for him.

Not to sound like a naive prude, but I always liked Ray Charles and was always an admirer of his copious talent. I really think I don't want to have my opinion clouded by the problems Ray had with drugs and women. I prefer to enjoy his music and how he overcame his disability without worrying about his failings.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Well, Ray Charles was quite forthcoming about his private life in his auobiography years ago so the stuff in the film's not news to his fans---or even pop culture mavens (his drug busts were big news).

It's a great film, thrilling in its musical scenes & deserving a strong credit for the casting director. The actors strongly resemble the people they play (at least the Atlantic group: Ertegun, Wexler & Dowd).

My big complaint is that about 1/2 hour before the end the film very suddenly winds down into a distant overview of the entire second half of Charles's life.

After the detail of the earlier sections & considering that 40 years are summed up in a very few words, that's a big & sudden deflation.

• 3 weeks later...
I just saw "Ray" this evening. Wow. I can't begin to express how utterly moving this film was. I think Jamie Foxx was incredible in portraying one of the most beloved figures in American music. He showed the good and bad parts of Ray Charles' life with equal measures of passion. The capper was the round of applause by the people in the theater at the end of the film.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived