Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bassist now in Florida

LesBass

Hi all. I used to be MercenaryBassist but I've had trouble logging in and my email was a Hotmail address so I couldn't get any help. I just got a new ISP so I've reregistered as LesBass.

Well, we finally made it across the country. I did stop at a bunch of music stores but I didn't make any major purchases. Right now we're RVing it so I'll have to wait a bit longer to buy some new gear.

Thanks to everyone who replied earlier about my cross-country shopping spree even if I never got to NY or Chicago or Des Moines. I did find a nice Hartke stack in Melbourne, FL but I didn't get it.

Its nice to be able to log in again.

BTW (OT): When the Sox won the pennant the announcer said that Red Sox fans everwhere would remember where they were when it happened. I realized that I didn't even know the town I was in. It was Troutville, Virginia. And I was at Cocoa Beach when they won the Series (its like the Berlin Wall coming down: I never imagined it was possible). Cocoa Beach was a great place to view the total Lunar eclipse, too.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're looking for a place to settle down. Right now we are looking around the Ocala area. We need a home and I need a job. I'm a printer by trade (plus whatever I can scare up playing bass - I'll need to find a band, too).

What's it like in your area?

Welcome back to the forum.....

About Ocala.... I lived there for almost three years after I left Miami.... musically there's not a whole lot happening, and the employment situation isn't all that great, especially the pay scales..... really low.

Being a printer and a bassist looking for work, you would probably be better off in the SE area of Florida, say West Palm and south.... Orlando isn't too bad either, or Tampa/St.Pete, but by and large, the best potential for gigging regularly and finding a good paying job in your trade would be the SE coast, mainly Miami/Lauderdale area.

All the best....

Tommy

Originally posted by LesBass:

I'm a printer by trade (plus whatever I can scare up playing bass - I'll need to find a band, too).

What's it like in your area?

Day gig - I'd guess there's more work for printers in this area, simply 'cause of the size/population. Of course that might mean more competition too - but competition's good, right?

As far as music goes: It took me a while (years) before I hooked up with people who could be of real help. Part of that was because I didn't go to jams/open mic nights, so that would be my first suggestion.

It's a tight knit group of musicians down here. Most of us are working in 2-4 bands, so a lot of the working bands are "revolving door" types: whomever is available, gets the gig. I play every weekend now, but it might be with 2 different bands on 2 different nights. The 'band' I worked with last night has used 5 keyboardists, 3 guitarists, 3 drummers and 3 bassists in the last 3 years. Most gigs are 1-2 nights. Once you're established tho', you're in.

Ft. Lauderdale and the Miami area may have more work, but once again, there's more competition.

Good luck, and let me know if you head down this way.

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Originally posted by Cliff Bordwell:

Had to ring in on this one, I live in Orlando and I'm tired of hurricanes :mad:

Yeah, well - consider it a residential/occupational hazard. At least you're not in Vero or Sebastion.

Nice basses, tho'!! If I hit the Lotto...

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Archived