Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The coolest piccolo bass ever

jeremy c

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/ebo1.jpg

Converted my EBO to a piccolo this weekend. Sounds great!

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Briefly excited until: "14" scale length!". Hmmm, an Ashbory piccolo...

Trust me, this is the coolest piccolo bass: (I see Mr Kinal has forgotten to put skinny strings on for these photos but no worry...)

http://www.bunnybass.com/basses/kinal_kompact%20bass/kompact_bass_front_small.jpg

My shipping address is available on request. A $10 donation from each of you should cover it.

Alex

P.S. Tom, this is the short-scale acoustic piccolo bass I've been looking for, to sate my songwriting joneses. Nice, huh?

Originally posted by davebassman:

Originally posted by Ford Prefect

Yeah, do we know anybody who could paint it white?
:D LMAO
Me too :thu:

Alex - that Kinal guy is OK. Should be great, and I'm so enthusiastic that my $10 check is in the mail ;)

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

... And what the hell was the name of the one with the moon shaped body and rubber strings?
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Originally posted by EddiePlaysBass:

What's a piccolo bass? Them basses in the pics look like regular basses to me? :freak:

Tuned an octave up, like the bottom four strings of a guitar.

I have an cheap Strat copy that has been converted to four strings - lets me fill the guitar/chordal function and write songs without getting tangled in narrow string spacing.

Alex

...and I just found out that it's an Ashbory.
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Originally posted by Ooooooooouizel:

...and I just found out that it's an Ashbory.

Ashbory is not a piccolo. It's actually the same freq as a regular bass.

True.

It's just tiny, which, I admit, was an error on my part.

Since I now know what a piccolo bass is, here's a question.

What's the point? :confused:

Originally posted by Ooooooooouizel:

True.

It's just tiny, which, I admit, was an error on my part.

Since I now know what a piccolo bass is, here's a question.

What's the point? :confused:

Some bassists (Stanley Clarke for instance) feel more comfortable playing lead parts but want to keep the bass configuration/ string spacing., etc.

Different scale lengths have different attack/decay characteristics, non-harmonic overtones (what Novax and Bartolini have referred to as clang tone), and tonal content - given the same basic string materials and construction.

And yes - I do like spaghetti.

EDIT: And spaghetti westerns, with that music that stood outside the norm of film scoring of that time.

Originally posted by AgentCooper:

Different scale lengths have different attack/decay characteristics, non-harmonic overtones (what Novax and Bartolin have referred to as clang tone), and tonal content - given the same basic string materials and construction.

And yes - I do like spaghetti.

Agreed. The sustain I get out of my EBO (notorious for LACK of sustain as a standard bass) is increadable compared to my strat.

I had my PRS 5 string strung piccolo for a while.

It didn't sound anything like a PRS guitar and it didn't exactly sound like a bass either. It was easier for me to play than a guitar because I was used to the scale and string spacing.

It served its purpose well and one of these days I'll do it again. There should be someone else playing bass when you pull out a piccolo bass.

Originally posted by jeremyc lugosi:

I had my PRS 5 string strung piccolo for a while.

It didn't sound anything like a PRS guitar and it didn't exactly sound like a bass either. It was easier for me to play than a guitar because I was used to the scale and string spacing.

It served its purpose well and one of these days I'll do it again. There should be someone else playing bass when you pull out a piccolo bass.

or use a good Octaver. :D

I had my Ric 4003 strung piccolo for a few weeks. Dang did that thing sound awesome, from round jazzy notes to screaming distortion.

But that's the problem: I string a bass piccolo, and I want to play it as a bass.

Maybe that Firebird/mandolin/piccolo bass/mini guitar thingamajig would be just the ticket!

I'd rather not call you and idiot. Still, if you're keen... ;)

A piccolo is (standardly) strung just like a bass (EADG). The only difference is that the strings are much lighter gauge, like the lowest 4 strings on a guitar. So same tuning, but higher.

Awesome sig, btw! :thu:

On my EBO it's easy because regular guitar strings are long enough to work on a 30" scale bass.

• 10 months later...

Jeremy,

For some reason, I'm thinking that baby T-Bird is an electric mandolin. Not that you couldn't string it any way you want, but I'm guessing it was meant to be tuned in 5ths.

One of the things (IMO) that makes piccolo bass sound so good is the fact that it's a 34" scale string. Having strings that long tuned up high gives it a nice warm, round quality that you can't get out of a guitar. It's also the most familiar feel to a bass player. That little T-Bird sure is cute though... I'll have to buy "Mini Me" one for his birthday.

Where can you find strings for a piccolo bass? I thought pic basses were smaller but after reading Ed's post I guess I was wrong. I know my strings (and my basses for that matter) couldn't hold up tuning them up an octave. Does one simply use extra long guitar strings?

Archived