Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just Gotta Vent

WCunha

Today I was talking to one the guitar players in my band who is a very good friend of mine and was also, in my wedding. Before I go into too much detail I'll give you a little back story.

I origianly just jammed with this band as thier current bass player couldn't show up to certain gigs because of family reasons. Which I was glad to do because I love to play. So, I started learning the songs pretty quick if you ask me. The first time I filled in I had to learn between 15 to 25 songs in a week. Not that all the songs were really challenging but, I didn't and was glad too.

So, any about a month or two goes by of this and thier bass player ends up moving to CA with his ex-wife and daughter. So, they told me when that happened that I was the guy. Which I thought was great.

Now the original guy was back to vist so I let him sit on a couple of songs anytime we played. No big deal right? Well guess what my friend tells that he is moving back for good and that the other three members want him back permanately. Which is Bullsh@t because it has nothing to do with ability since I have oh about give or take nine years experience on him. Not that he is bad player but he doesn't have my ability. Which is either here nor there I just think it's sh@tty.

I'm just so, pissed off right now because I was looking forward to playing with these guys pretty soon. Anyway sorry for rambling I just had to get this off my chest.

Later, Wade

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe they always thought of you as a sub, man. Too bad though :(

But ehm, they don't always go for the most experienced guy. Maybe they feel that the chemistry is different with Permanent Guy ...

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened :thu:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Sorry to hear that, Wade.

While many stories I hear show how poorly treat each other, yours is difficult. I think once they made you their guy, that should have been it. Still, you can sort of see how they would like to "keep the band together". If they had told you that you were a sub (as Eddie suggested), I could understand. I think once the bassist moved away, he became the ex-bassist and you own the chair.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

well tell them all that you are dissappointed, but thank them for the opportunity to get out and play some. It happens to all of us at some point, don't sweat it. Good bass players are a commodity, you won't have trouble getting a gig if you go out and look.
Check out my work in progress.

I was in a band once where the "leader" demanded we bring the old drummer back when he moved back to town, much to the consternation of bassist and me.

The drummer who had "filled in" for several months was 1) a better drummer, 2) more dependable, 3) lived in town, not an hour away and 3) was a much nicer guy than the guy who was coming back. Unfortunately the "leader' and the original drummer went back years and years. The band leader wrote 90% of the songs and owned the PA so we were stuck.

End of story - A year or two later the drummer got divorced, ran off with the band-leader's girlfriend and the two lifetime buds are now through with each other.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Go ahead and vent here. Afterwards, go and tactfully say, "See ya" to the band. Find something else, and you'll find that the other bass player still isn't through with his family strife. When he leaves again, you can graciously turn them down when they ask you to join up again because you now have something better.

I hope you were able to follow, because I don't think I could string that together again. :rolleyes:

ATM

Thanks for the support guys. I had talked to my friend who was in my wedding and told him that it was wrong what they did. He was the only one who wanted to keep me in the band. The other guys were friends of mine too but, turns out that they really weren't. It was never supposed to be a temp job after he moved. He was supposed to be gone for good. To just get rid of me because he moved back was wrong. I earned that spot and I stepped up when they had no one else. He was going to see what he could do to keep me in the band and then I thought about it and thought if that is what they think then I would rather not play with them at all. So, I now find myself on a search for a band. Anyone know where to start?

Thanks again, Wade

Wcunha - go to themode.com

They have detailed listings by area code.

As far as your experience, I think it has happened to all of us at one point or another. And I think its something that needs to happen sometimes. You must always remember, we are replaceable. Anyone in a band is replaceable. Unless you're Jaco, or Lemmy. :thu:

good luck bro

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Originally posted by WCunha:

Which is Bullsh@t because it has nothing to do with ability since I have oh about give or take nine years experience on him. Not that he is bad player but he doesn't have my ability. Which is either here nor there I just think it's sh@tty.

Later, Wade

Wade,

First off, I'm sorry for your misfortune.

But, experience really is neither here nor there in some situations.

I quit my first "real" band (you know the kind that plays out, makes money, and has aspirations of going somewhere) when my first son was born. They replaced me with a technically much better bass player . I thought he sounded great. However, a lot of the people who used to come and see that band liked what I was doing better (God, if I know; Mike was so much better than me).

5 months after I quit, the band broke up.

To this day, I regret quitting that band, but it turns out that band wasn't the same without all of the original ingredients. No matter how good Mike was.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Originally posted by AgentCooper:

Yeah. And yet for the good times, it's worth doing over and over if needed : }

Yes Sir, you are correct.

As my thirties are ending, and mid-life's closing in, I find myself lapsing into a flux of the present, the past, and a time yet to come, if I can loosely paraphrase Pete Shelley.

Ahh,the good old days...

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Thanks again everyone! It's nice to have the support. I think I will definitely check out he mode.com. I'm not as mad as I was this morning but, still feel betrayed by them. We were all friends and clicked very in and out of the band and to have their only reason being that he moved back. But, onward and upward to better things. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Wade

Originally posted by drunken pumpkin:

W.W.L.D??

I think he would take some meth and kick the crap out of everyone.

Yea Maury I hear ya on the whole shelf life thing. I actually kind of think it was almost up anyway.

Later Wade

Archived