Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Attn hall of fame members and gold members / this idiot has something to say

Rick Hoffman

I know people post things and get flamed for not searching. I mean, I do it a lot. I have tried the search feature but I don't find it very useful. I would rather interact with other people in the forum and get a real response.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you've been around these parts a while, you get tired of the same questions popping up every month. Yes, some of us need to employ different methods of this, but the message still rings clear--the search function is an indispensable tool that is under-utilized.

If you disagree, we will nominate you to field every question that pops up every few weeks that was answered 17 times previously.

I do have to say that I've never liked having a "title" after my name here.

I also get tired of the same things that others get tired of. But I agree, there is some just totally needless crankiness sometimes.

And I'm to blame, too.

I love the search feature, 90 percent of the time I want to know something I usually find it in 10 minutes on the search page. Seriously, how many times does the quality of OLP basses need to be discussed. However the string boiling thread is entertaining every time it comes up...

As far as smart asses flaming you, you will notice that they are also the same guys that provide valuable input when you make an interesting post.

Music store employees have a reason to be disgruntled.

But you'll find this forum to be populated by pro bassists. Semi pro bassists. Full time musicians. Teachers. Hobbyists. People who play piano, but love the bass.

And when I send people to the search button, I almost always inform them about which terms might be useful.

See, if one person answers your question, it's a simple answer to a complex question. If you can find an entire thread, you'll get more insight.

So decide. Some of us have hung out long enough to get Hall of Fame below our avatar. Others have stopped in to visit a while, then left. And one keeps leaving' and coming back. There's a message in that!!!!

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Thats all part of the fun...

getting flamed on the board is great...guaranteed laughs...

and this is not directed at you but there have been quite a few bozos on this board who have needed to be reeled in.....

its all good....

www.danielprine.com

From one peasant to another,

Something I have found is that a grain of salt makes everything a little easier to handle. I know there are some very knowledgeable and wonderful people on this forum. I also know that by the law of averages and the nature of people there will be fools around sharing their opinions too. I hope that none of my smarty responses were a cause of your consternation. I do try and put some kind of graemlin or something to make sure I am not taken too seriously. ie. :D:thu:

As for any fools you encounter, give them my blessing ;) and wish them a happy existence with their own kind.

I have not yet meant anything malicious, nor do I intend to. :P

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

Dog,

There was once a time when I agreed with you. But the more you hang out, the more amusing it is, and the more you agree with the flamers that the newbies should break their piggy banks and buy a clue before talking to us.

However...even with that, you're still right about one thing...the search function is a little overrated. Great to find a post you remember. Okay to find answers on something very specific if you can figure out an appropriate keyword. Terrible for some of the broad questions that newbies want to ask.

Flaming is part of every forum, I think it is done here with humour most of the time.

Now, I've been around this forum for about three years, but I've only posted 230 messages. When I see the lowdowners in the thousands I am truly amazed. Does that mean that their opinions are more correct than mine or yours? Sometimes yes.

That's just plain laziness.

I learned how to build a bass using the search feature.

Also, the prime motive for a lot of people here isn't to "make it". Believe or not the personal music ideal has something to do with why we play.

"A is A"-the people of tunagialand

I hear ya dog.

I'm older than about 80% of the forumites, yet they belittle you. Its a source of some sort of self gratification based on the extremely low self esteem they posses. They think they are doing something really special by flaming you completely not realizing that they are making complete asses out themselves.

A few people do it to be funny, and then offer a tid bit of useful info, but most think they are being cool. The cool ones just ignore a reduntant post and move on to something that they can help with, and keep derogitory comments to themselves.

Lets face it, if we were all busy living the dream, playing music day in and out for a living and being a huge success, would we have time for this place? Some maybe, but i doubt very much.

Check out my work in progress.

Dude. Don't worry about a thing. Stick around, get flamed, get to know people. You'll see that most everyone around here is pretty cool. Except me. I'm an ass. But... you can bite me.

Nevermind all that....

Should I be using a pick or my fingers?

What's the best cheap bass?

Does KoRn rule?

Is Geezer Butler one of the all-time greatest bassists?

What would Lemmy do?

SUMBODEE HALP ME PLEZE!

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I say we let the low post counters eat cake.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I hate having to a gree with the hippy, but CMDM has typed a good thing.

Don't worry about the flames. If you ask about the difference between a "P" and "J" bass one would expect that you will get a little warm...

That being said, Don't SABBATH RULE!!!

Check out my work in progress.

Silly Wewus... You know I'd welcome you wherever I go.

However, I would never stop messing with you. It's why I exist.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Yes, I occasionally flame people.

Questions are often asked which I reply to by going on Google and finding the answers in ten seconds.

This is a discussion group and my personal hope is that it will not turn into a resource for people too lazy to learn anything on their own. (and too cheap to go out and buy a book or two).

But if you ask even a half-way decent question, I'll probably try to answer. Over 40 years of pro experience and over 30 years of bass teaching will be at your disposal.

There are some consistent flamers and snide remarkers and you will get to know their names (even though they change them every once in a while) and you can ignore them. In fact, you have to ignore them, because if you respond, they only get more riled up.

I usually am amused by the Spammy Newbie and the I Am The Center Of The Universe Feed ME Now first poster. It's the guys who have been around awhile as the same simpler more tedious questions have come and gone many many times and then get irate when someone suggests to use search

Oh. Did I forget to finish that thought? THEY BUG ME. They are showing that laziness of mind and spirit is what [they think] being a musician is about. I don't want to think that bassists are the bottom of the heap - just the bottom of the mix. Fortunately some here, even at a very young age, are showing that is not something I should worry about. Instead I can focus on bringing wit and imagination and breadth to the discussion of music.

Nothing to do with low self worth. I use my spine to hold up my brain. I suggest others follow my example and everything will be groovy for all ; }

So, back on topic. Does a Jazz bass have to be used to play Jazz? :confused:

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Lighten up, Dawg. This place is surprisingly light on the flame content when you compare it to other forums (don't get me started on the HarmonyCentral ones).

I'll echo what people have said here before me...it gets really tedious when you hear the same inane questions over and over again. The search feature is a treasure trove of information that has been discussed to death here.

Check it out.

Archived