Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

After yet ANOTHER band audition, FINALLY struck gold-PS thanks 'Downers

Rick Hoffman

Hey guys, had a GREAT jam last night with a couple of guys I met off a musician's website, TheMode.com. These cats were older and had some serious credentials under their belt, the guitar player opened in a band for McCartney or something in the early 70s doing side 2 of abbey road, and the drummer was pretty good too.

We talked before we met up and when I found out how experienced these guys were, I figured I'd be in for a real test. I was even slightly nervous. Both are now married, and just lookin to have some fun. These guys are straight and don't mess around and they are both very disciplined as far as doing homework and coming prepared, the guitar player made a strict point about that. We met up at the drummer's house(really nice big house)with a home studio, all kinds of stuff. I brought my Squier P bass :mad: because my american Jazz is in the shop. :freak: So I was a little worried, I mean I wanted to make a good impression-but the guitar player said he cared more about technique then equipment,so I was relieved.

I brought in my hartke B600 and went thru the drummer's PA. The guitar player had an old, small, fender princeton chorus. We played at a low volume, focusing on dynamics. We were all mic'd and we all sang.

Well, in the middle of jamming, the guitar player mouthed something to me about volume. I have heard too many times before that I play too loud so instead of turning down I just played softer. But the guitar player actually wanted me to play LOUDER?!?! He actually TURNED UP THE DIAL ON MY AMPLIFIER. How many times has that happened to you guys? Never happened to me before. That made me really happy.

Well for 3 guys that never played a song together before, the guitar player took over and led us through some jams and some simple rock tunes. Things sounded very tight.

Now, not to toot my horn here, but this audition was a HUGE personal accomplishment for me, especially since they want me to come back. They even said other bass players who had been playing for a lot longer then I just didn't get it. I'm a younger guy at 28 and I figured I'd be in for a music lesson, then go home. I just focused on doing a cool job, and they complimented my style immensely. I think a lot of that has to do with reading some of the philosophies I learned here from you guys.

So, I must owe this performance to you guys. I actually feel and truly believe I'm a better bassist now then I was before. I just hope the trend continues.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by getz76:

Getting thrown into such a situation is the fastest (but not always easiest) way to progress.

Getting thrown into that situation on stage accellerates the process even more.

Be prepared to take some lumps along the way, though. ;)

Word! I love situations where I'm the worst player, especially compared to the drummer. That is a real crash-course in bassology.

After all the "should I leave my band" threads it is really good to hear a success story. Thanks for sharing and caring and being so darn good. Keep it up.

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

Glad to hear it, Dog!

Keep us posted! :thu:

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

• 3 months later...

Bump

Man things sure have changed I'm in a totally different band now. I've been practicing everyday, trying to learn new things and be creative, and play with as many bands as I can...

Things just didn't work out with the first group I mentioned in the thread. I would go into detail but that's for the band.

I played with maybe one or two other bands, filled in for a show here or there, but its been a few months since I've been committed to one thing.

So I get an email from a guy named John of Magus Beast, based out of NYC, and we set something up. I checked them out and everything, they have been around a while, and they do weekend tours and play at a lot of bars and clubs. Basically I got the impression they get decent gigs.

So John set me up with a ride in to queens w/ one of the guitar players, Andy. He lives further out then me and agreed to set up a carpool. He's a cool guy very talkative. I had my bass rig in his truck, and when we got there we unloaded into their studio and I set up.

I brought my fender MIA jazz, svt3-pro and my FX. I didn't have my 4x10HLF though, as they told me they had a 2x15 down there. The thing turned out to be really shitty and farty everytime I came out with a hard RH attack the clip light would flicker, so I made minor adjustments w/ gain I figured I was blowing the hell out of that cab, since the head that was there was a hartke 200 something, 200 watts...hey they were like eh don't worry. Haha ok well I just hope I didn't damage my head...I don't think I did though.

These guys were amazing, IMHO. The drummer is like Dave Lombardo I was doing 16th notes for 3 hours and we were locked. They all complimented my technique but said I must learn the changes to 4 more songs. 3 of the songs I learned right there and they asked me to leave my amp there, and invited me back tonight.

They have influences from Iron Maiden, Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica...I busted out some distorted wah and they wanted to add some parts to a song...

So the end result is I'm pretty sure I'm in so long as I continue to progress, we're going over the setlist tonight and if they think I can handle it, we're going to gig w/ me as the starting bass player...haha.

I have lots of homework to do so I'm going to plug in and hit the woodshed.

Glad to hear it went well. Since I do a fair amount of travel to rehearsal, I know what (traffic) you're going through. :)

Left your amp there? Ahhhh - now I understand why this guy I met seemed so willing to sell me an Ampeg "cheap" - didn't mind when I low-balled (mad-balled?) him. I just bought it for $300. ;)

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Haha... Dude.

I know Magus Beast.

We played with them in Baltimore once when we shared the bill with Belladonna (Joey Belladonna from Anthrax's new band.)

As I recall, they were nice fellas who played some pretty slammin' old-schoolish metal. Fun stuff.

Next time you talk to the boys, tell them that the guitarist from Cottonmouth D.N. with the really long dreadlocks says, "Yo." And when they're like, "Who?" just tell them we're the dudes they met in Baltimore when they played with Belladonna.

Haha.

Good luck with the gig.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

GIG REPORT - CMDN STYLE

Hey the gig went very well. We were 3rd band up on this metal night bill and I had a few beers, loosened up, and had a great time.

My rig sounded great the stage was great the sound was great everything went great.

I came prepared to play 4 songs and wound up playing them at the end of their set. I replaced their fill-in bassist, who knew the material better and started. I played 4 songs, closed out the set. It were as if I was always there.

The venue was decent size, a place called The Hook in Red Hook, in brooklyn. It was their first metal night. The club manager welcomed us back anytime - he must have had a huge bar profit, haha.

I played the spector euro4 with the jazz on the side...

We set up and broke down pretty fast, too. The place wasn't at all that bad to get our gear into and we had plenty of room with all our shit against a huge wall...the place was pretty big.

YO Erik I will definately pass along that message-hopefully we will get a chance to meet at a show somewhere. That would be cool, I'd love to rock with the Cottonmouth D.N.

As we offloaded our stuff John told me I'm in.

Way to go dude! Glad to hear you finally found a fit.

But the guitar player actually wanted me to play LOUDER?!?!
Okay, now I know you're lyin'! :D

Does this mean you won't be comin' to Cal after all?

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Haha hey Matt ya never know, I do want to make it back out to the bay area someday...

Hey Tom I was relieved when my amp was still at the studio last night when we were loadin up-haha actually it reminded me of the lowdown, and the task I had before me at hand that evening.

Hopefully if things continue to progress, I will have more gig reports to post.

Once again I must say its the knowledge of the little things I learned here, that helped my first show with these guys go so smooth.

Cheers, mates. Thanks.

But the guitar player actually wanted me to play LOUDER?!?!
Guitar players are weird. Just when you think you know 'em ...

The singer of the band I'm in now wants to play Iron Maiden's The Clansman and one of the guitar players argued that it was a good song, but had too many guitar solo's :freak:

To quote the great Lemmy Kilmister:

"I came to the conclusion long ago that there's something wrong with you if you're a guitar player." (White Line Fever, p.132)
'nuff said :D

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived