Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Saw Joe Satriani Last Night!

dohhhhh6

Last night, my guitarist, his pappy, and I went to The Pageant to see Joe Satriani play!

It was SUCH an amazing show. Ben's dad saw him at another club awhile ago and said that Joe played better last night. Joe is SUCH an entertainer. He was really getting into the music and moving his entire body to the music.

The bassist wasn't too shabby either. I didn't see his rig (hey, we got good seats, so I'm not complaining), but he did break out an EUB for the first couple songs in the second set.

The first set was a lot of speedy rock with nonstop solos. The second set (my favorite of the two) started out with some ballad type tunes (if you can call them that) and gradually worked up to a tremendous finale, which was then outdone by the encores.

I just couldn't believe how well placed the thunderous bass was. It was always doing exactly what Joe needed it to do, keep a strong, groovy base. But obviously, the star of the show was Satriani who had some REALLY great solo parts, which just grabbed my attention. However, the EUB and his occasional rhythm section break were always a nice change of pace. One of the songs had an awesome break down, which lead into a very saucy rendition of the James Bond theme.

Going into this concert, I didn't appreciate the "guitar wanking" very much. But now, I have a ton of respect for music sans vocals. The first I was kinda missing them, but at the second set, things just felt right as they were. Joe's most definitely got a new fan.

This concert was my first REAL rock concert, and I know it set the standards WAY up high.

Until next concert

LadY

P.S. they played 2 sets over 3 hours with only a 14 minute break.

In Skynyrd We Trust

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you notice how low the bassist had his instrument slung? He's a tall guy and was hunched over most of the show just to reach. I had never seen anybody use a thumb for fingering either, but he used it everytime on his B. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing, Matt Bissonette is a great player, I just thought these things interesting.

Incredible show, I agree.

Did it look something like this?

ATM

Ford Prefect: I had never seen anybody use a thumb for fingering either,
You gotta be kidding. The thumb and a couple/few fingers is the way I've been going since I started. It's proven useful and if someone here were to tell me seriously that it's wrong I would think they were a fool. I'm sure a lot of better players use the thumb. If not, someone should start ; }

I love using my thumb, its such a natural thick tone. I play fingerstyle, and lately I've been working on a light slap technique, the tones I get out of my thumb are awesome, man. I experimented with a pick for awhile but I hated it.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

I play primarily with a pick but when i do use my fingers i use my thumb, index and middle finger. Everyone has their own way to play.

Joe Satriani is an amazing performer, although the speedy solos do get tiresome to me after a while.

peace

i think he means using the thumb of your left hand (assuming you're right-handed) to fret the bass. i've seen guitarists do this, but i've always thought it was bad for your wrist.

if i misunderstood (and i usually do), sorry.

is it just me, or is there some more gravity?

Originally posted by Ford Prefect:

I had never seen anybody use a thumb for fingering either

I have. In fact, the bass player who competed with me for a recent audition does that all the time. Thing is, he can't really pull it off well enough.

On Radar Love, for instance, he'll thumb them F# sixteenth (??) notes but that way he never manages to get the rhythm down properly. Neither can I though, playing with 2 fingers :D

That said I just read the rest of the posts :D Left hand thumbing, didn't Phil Lynott do that? Jimi Hendrix did it on guitar, I believe ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Ah, it's just kinda fun to use the thumb on the B and even the E string sometimes, while doing other bitsd on the higher-pitched strings. Easy too, since the B string typically has a lot less tension than the rest of the strings in a set.

Archived