Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz Bass Update

Edendude

Our band was in the studio all day Saturday and Sunday, getting all the loose ends tracked for the project. We decided to add one extra original song to the disc, which meant we naturally had to build that song from the beds up. This was great for me, because it meant I got to give my new Jazz Bass a serious and focused work out in the studio. Kind of nice to have it on one track of the new album, too.

The bass worked out great. I was able to dial-in the tone I wanted within seconds, through my Eden WT300 head. The classic Fender 150 Hz bump really gave the bass a nice fat recorded sound on the tracks. We took a line for one track off the Eden DI and we put a condensor mic on the cab for another, just as we did on the rest of the beds for the album that I played with my Spector.

I might have a rough mix of the 'Jazz Bass' song inhand later on tonight. I'll put up a Real Audio file of it if I do, so you guys can hear how the Jazz sounds through the Eden.

I'm liking the sound and feel of this bass more and more every time I play it.

Sure is one heavy chunk of lumber, however.

:D

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to hear the new tool is working out for you.

As to the "one heavy chunk of lumber" comment, it's because you're spoiled. There are many out there that weigh more than that Fender. And I have no sympathy, because I went to a "regular" 5 from an EB3, which weighs very little. After 2 years I still feel it after a long practice.

The better it sounds and plays, the faster you'll get used to it. And what's the worst that happens - you play live with the spector and record with the Fender? Not so bad....

Looking forward to hearing your work.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Edendude:

Sure is one heavy chunk of lumber, however.

:D

Believe it or not, my '00 Am. std P is considerably heavier than my '73.

I've never been anal enough to actually weigh them, but I definitely feel it after a long rehearsal... and I use a wide padded strap on the '00 and a cheap flimsy 2" strap with the '73!

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

C'mon. It's supposed to be guitarists that whine about a LP that weighs 8 lbs. ;)

I've played hours and hours with J's and P's since I was 15 (always standing) and never once felt it was too heavy. I've always used a 2 inch wide strap. Over the last 6 years I've played 5 string J's and P's. Besides, girls will think you're a wuss. :D

Don't even think of backpacking, either. A 20 lb backpack on a hike is a minimal weight. Get yourself in shape to play bass, if necessary.

Archived