Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

!!LIVE FROM NJ - METALLICA!! Trujillo's interesting take on old school metallica

Rick Hoffman

Saw the show.

They kicked ass. I was in the nosebleeds couldn't see what Trujillo was playing looked like a high end spector. Anyhow he has a very percussive technique, almost like a slap player. He busted out with this percussive cacophony of 16th note triplets during a solo using some effects, the right hand technique blew me off the map. (Or maybe that was the delay...)

I mean, I got to thinking...ok so maybe he doesn't need to play like that on record but I guess you really do need to play like that to get the gig with the band. That 3 finger technique works good for him. As far as a Trujillo joining the band I had my doubts at first, but after seeing a live show I'm a believer.

Good show.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's arguably a player whose abilities and talent were bigger than the bands he was in. Again, I myself feel this is CURRENTLY true. The Metallica schtick has been played out and worn by Metallica, among many other bands. Maybe he can gain enough cachet here to actually start a RT band in a couple years that will have good visibility. I'd like to hear THAT!

His listening habits and playing abilities sure go far beyond Metallica...I saw him at 55 Bar soaking in Anthony Jackson's playing at the Wayne Krantz gig. He put on his glasses to see Anthony's hands more closely.

His well-documented playing with Infectuous Grooves, Suicidal Tendencies and Ozzy left little doubt in my mind that he could handle the Metallica gig without breaking a sweat.

Trujillo can play pretty much anything he wants. He's a very gifted dude.

I'm glad he's got the Metallica gig. It's one of those win-win situations.

Trujillo gets a solid, lucrative job with an iconic actarguably one of the most influential metal bands of the past 20 years. Metallica gets a bassist who WANTS the gig, as well as someone very well-versed in the genre... as well as about a billion others. And we get to hear the results in the form of the Metallica classics performed by (arguably) the most accomplished bassist the band has ever had.

I'm kind of curious to hear what happens when he starts writing new material with the band. I know I wasn't particularly blown away by the stuff the boys from 'Frisco did with Newstead. Snooze... Ditto Infectious Grooves... way too much goofiness and wanking for wanking's sake. However, the combination of Metallica's most recent pop sensibilities with Trujillo's insane chops could bear some fascinating fruit.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Well, all I gotta say is, at the show the guy was insane. I mean, he played those old school tunes dead-set to the record I even heard some Cliff licks in there(I think that was probably out of tribute and respect). He also did some of his own licks, very very percussive,and that right hand technique! The venue had big screens and they were focused not on glamour shots but of the musicians' hands most of the time. It was awesome.

All in all, they just rocked. This was the first time I saw them. And I am NOT disappointed.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Archived