Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Calling All Quality Control - 1984 Fender P-Bass

Rick Hoffman

Saw a nice looking P bass recently I'd like to add to the arsenal. Its an '84, black,whte pick guard white pickup cover, maple neck, original case, etc.

I currently own a '91 Jazz bass. Would they be similar as far as fit and finish,and overall quality?

Thanks

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, let's see:

A. You have the ONE, so you are able to check it out.

B. And you've seen the OTHER or you wouldn't be mentioning that I suppose... so you've checked IT out.

We, on the other hand, have probably seen NEITHER of them. Hmmm. Hmmm... Are you sure you've directed your question to the appropriate party(s)?

Yes, I do have the one, but I haven't played/heard the other, I only saw it somewhere,for sale.

Thats why I asked.

In the end, it probably doesn't matter at all but I want to know as much about something as possible before I buy.

What can you say? I'm sure there are plenty of junk 1984 Fenders out there. Probably lots of nice ones,too. There are crappy 1991 Fenders as well,but you like yours,right?

A company that has made as many guitars as Fender has to have a few lemons no matter what the year.

The good news is that if you aren't impressed with the quality you can sell it and not loose any money on it unless its noticebly f#*ked up when you get it or if you pay a rediculous amount for it. And thats a chance you would take buying any bass you haven't played.

After all,it has the magic name on the headstock,right?

Generalizing,I gueass I can say that,from what I have heard and seen,80's US Fenders aren't really known for being the cream of the crop. Neither are most of the 90's,though. That said,one of the nicest Stratocasters I have ever played was made in 1984,and I have seen alot of shoddy Fenders that have come out of the so called "good years".

I'm not an expert on the subject,but if I were to buy a Fender bass from the 80's without playing it first,it would sooner be Japanese. That is,if I had to buy one based on my limited experience,and popular opinions.

I'm not any help at all am I? :freak:

I agree with what has been said here already. I wouldn't hold it against a 1984 Precision Bass just for being made in 1984. In fact, we are talking a soon-to-be-vintage P-Bass. The white pick guard/white pickup cover combo is nice. Couple of questions...

Does it have Strat-type volume and tone knobs?

Are the tuners a bit fatter overall compared to the standard cloverleaf tuner?

Originally posted by The Rickler:

Saw a nice looking P bass recently I'd like to add to the arsenal. Its an '84, black,whte pick guard white pickup cover, maple neck, original case, etc.

I currently own a '91 Jazz bass. Would they be similar as far as fit and finish,and overall quality?

Thanks

Too many variables to give you a straight answer. Quality begins with the wood and ends with the final inspection, all of which could influence the final quality of the instrument. Add to that the effect of aging, as the wood gradually petrifies and loses moisture, which in time will enhance even fair quality instruments.

The only way I know to tell a quality instrument is to play it unplugged (even electrics) and listen to the sound of the wood. Play enough instruments and you'll hear what I'm talking about.

And comparing a P to a J? Ain't gonna touch that one...

:wave:

1984 is kind of a crap shoot for a Fender. A lot were made with leftover parts from previous years and a lot were made in Japan. Neither is really a bad thing, but check it out closely to insure it's quality.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Sorry guys I re-read my post and realized I left out a few essential details.

It is an MIA P-bass. I would only buy an American-made fender product, just my preference. And yea it hurts my wallet but it pays off in spades with satisfaction when I play.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3757154957&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I should have poseted this link a while ago - here you are

Thanks

The Rickler: Saw a nice looking P bass recently I'd like to add to the arsenal. Its an '84, black,whte pick guard white pickup cover, maple neck, original case, etc. I currently own a '91 Jazz bass. Would they be similar as far as fit and finish,and overall quality?
- Emphasis mine. Since you didn't seem to see the sense of my earlier reply that only YOU could answer the questions about fit and finish because only YOU had seen the two basses, I again donned my black project Bausch and Lomb Ultraspec 2304X goggles, fired up the flux capassotator power plant at the dam behind the mountain where I live on a supposedly deserted military base, hooked up the tachyon tunneling projector, and located all the major pawn shops and stores in your area of New York (used the information from your profile, then hacked into every government and credit interlan in the country to get a direct fix).

I then negotiated packetspace with all surveillance, mapping and global positioning satellite network systems and narrowed it down to two possible locations - your home, and a place that had a '84 P Bass somewhat like you described.

Once the telemetry was in I programmed a swarm of nanobots to helivate over to the location and tunnel into the neck pocket where they could look for factory date signs off stickers or scrawlings. The intelligence they fired back indicated it was likely the bass was indeed an '84. But carbon dating may prove otherwise; they are currently reassembling themselves as a nanolab to perform the procedure as programmed before departure...

Anyway, after signing off on my programming session, I donned the tachyon tunnel-assisted goggles and followed you around for several days in fast motion to ascertain that this was INDEED the correct bass. Then I got to work.

First. Fit and Finish. DID YOU KNOW THAT THESE ARE TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF BASSES? AND THE COLORS ARE NOT EVEN THE SAME!!! THIS MEANS that one or the other bass is faulty. Since you saw your bass first, we COULD assume that the OTHER bass is the one with the faulty finish. On the other hand, since it is a younger bass, it could be argued that the finish of YOUR bass is defective. Either way you decide to take this, one of the basses has a bad finish.

So. That was it for finish. A big fat zero!

Next: fit. First the bad news. Based on the measurements via goggle and nanofleet, the two basses are widely divergent. Stuff from one will NOT easily fit the other without major modification. Just the pickup alone was a major impediment to believeing the fit was proper! So we won't go any further down THIS path of inquiry...

The GOOD news is that the neck pocket of the P Bass (verified by the way) fits ITS neck fairly well. There is a little slop, and a little paint overspray, and some rubbing compound detrius (.1793 grams to be exact) still in the pocket. There were also microscopic traces of a sulhorous compound and even more minute traces of flint, possibly indicating that a matchbook had once been used as a neck shim. But telemetry showed the neck should function within parameters without any tilt.

Nest: OVERALL QUALITY. I hate to break it to you, but if you would have looked closer at the two basses you would have noticed that the quality of your bass is decidely different than the other. They just aren't the SAME!!! But if I were to weigh the evidence, I would say that the OTHER bass proably isn't a bad looking bass for its type, even though the quality and final appearance of the paint work is nothing to get excited about. Everything else is similarly non-descript, resmbling tens of thousands of factory instruments with their various little oversights and in addition with signs of wear from use.

I will be able to give you a report on playability, body and neck resonance, suitability of current strings, and pickup specs in milliHenries as soon as I can book time on the Lawrence Livermore Laboratories Cray supercomputer to model my playing style in vectors, forces and velocites, assemble that data into a workable design the nanofactory can assemble a robot for, and upload the information to the site where the bass is stationed.

When this work is completed you will get email (I have the address, along with the credit card numbers this scientific R&D will be billed to) instructing you to come to the work site with YOUR bass so that a comparative analysis can proceed.

Sorry guys I re-read my post and realized I left out a few essential details.
Oh? Who woulda thunk? LIKE A URL? Now we can ALL tell something about the bass merely by looking att some pictures. Supposedly of said bass. Such a PRECISION approach to checking fit finish and quality I've never witnessed in all my years.

Maybe you meant something else.

I haven't looked at the pictures but I can add a few more cents-

Different neck shape

Different body shape

Different weight

One humbucking one not

Different capacitor size(the most noticable difference)

One CBS the other post CBS

"A is A"-the people of tunagialand

WOW! Just.....wow.

I though I was the most sarcastic SOB on the planet then someone comes along and makes me look like a complete and total amature. Such form. Such grace power and control. Flawless..Godlike...

I feel like I just witnessed the complete disassembly of a human being into it's component parts.

You sir, are the Stradivari of sarcasm.

I am so not worthey.....

*Kneels and holds forth the scepter of sarcasm to the new king*

I have much to learn. Teach me ObiWan.

Archived