Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are you thinking about getting an instrument refinished?

bikertrash

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy Crap! He did that to your Sadowsky! Oh my goodness! Have you called him on it? Maybe it was (hopefully) a mistake. If I were him, I'd take it back free of charge and fix all those terrible problems.

Whoa, man. That REALLY sucks that it happened to you. I feel so bad for you man.

Good luck with making amends to such a grave loss.

In Skynyrd We Trust

you got shafted. how'd you hook up with this guy? i was thinking about getting my bass stripped and refinished, but the guy who'd do it has done stuff for me before. he's 'the guy' to take any repairs or maintenance to. what are you going to do?
Insert inaccurate quote here

I hooked up with him because he represented himself to me as the man that does Roger Sadowsky's paint work. This has not been desputed by Mr. Sadowsky. Nor has it been confirmed by him.

The gorey details if this are cross posted on the dudepit and talkbass.

Initially I was prepared to shoot Mr. Wilkins on site. I'm over that. My only interest at this point is to prevent this from happening to anyone else.

I've heard of Pat Wilkins before. Positive things about his finishes. Your story is obviously counter to this.

Your experience is troubling. That really stinks, man. Will there be any kind of restitution or payback or amends?

Wow. Hopefully some reasonable resolution can be reached. At the very least he should do the job right for free.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Egad! Shameless misuse of time and materials- and on a Sadowsky no less!!

I would certainly and graphically tell him where to put his sandpaper and how loose to roll the sheet.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Egad indeed. I just dropped of my baby, a MIA Jazz bass, to a used-to-be-local place. I recently moved so I'm about 20 minutes away now but I made the drive the drive, anyway. These guys do nothing but fix, repair, and build stringed instruments, and the amplifiers and effects that are used with them.

I never been there before, but heard a few good things, so I went down and its gonna cost me about $150 to have my frets leveled, a badass bridge installed, and a set-up and strings, too.(I brought in my own badass bridge)

When I first walked in these guys sure looked busy and I'll have to wait till monday, but thats fine rehearsal isn't till wednesday. And I got my squier P bass to fall back on. Yeah!

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

I would settle for nothing less than some type of refund or send it back to him and have him do it right..

Since he told you he was stripping the bass and did not...he charged you for work he did not do and he also damaged your bass in the process.

I would also let Roger know ... he should hear about this.

It looks like this guy is very careless and takes no pride in his efforts and does not care about his customers.

Post up on TB and Dudepit.. other musicians should know about this guys shoddy work.

www.danielprine.com

Dude!!!! that sucks.... you deserve a refund.... I'd also let Roger know what he did.

If you need any kind of work done on any of your basses, locally I'd recommend Buddy Scott at Don's Music and Pawn. He's one of the best craftsmen I've ever known. Its on the Westside on Blanding north of San Juan. Buddy has repaired my basses for years, and he is the only person I would trust to touch my '63 P. He can fix your Sadowsky and make it look perfect.

I know its a bit of a drive from St. Augustine, but well worth the trip. (He also carries supurb vintage guitars and basses.)

Man, I hope it works out for you.... thats soooo wrong....

Tommy

The guys at Dons Pawn are good. I'm good. Better than most on anything but a refret. The fact of the matter is, I could have painted it myself just as well as Wilkins. It's just solid white paint on flat surfaces. It's just about as easy as it gets. There was no art involved in this job.

The decal on the headstock was an issue and I wanted to be able to represent it as "Done by the man" not painted by myself in my buddies Corvette shop.

Originally posted by bikertrash:

The guys at Dons Pawn are good. I'm good. Better than most on anything but a refret. The fact of the matter is, I could have painted it myself just as well as Wilkins. It's just solid white paint on flat surfaces. It's just about as easy as it gets. There was no art involved in this job.

The decal on the headstock was an issue and I wanted to be able to represent it as "Done by the man" not painted by myself in my buddies Corvette shop.

Wilkins was just profiled in Vintage Guitar. I just read the article this morning!

Wow, your story reads a lot different than what was in print!

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Originally posted by getz76:

...clown-shoe.*

* clown-show: noun; moron. Source - Bumpcity

Um..."clown-shoe" or "clown-show", getz?! :confused:;):D

I believe Fred's current avatar would be the "clown-show". The Bumpalonious lingo would be "clown-shoe".

Feel free to go back and edit the post and then insinuate that I'm crazy and didn't read it correctly the first time. :P:D

Peace'n'luv,

--S to tha' U to tha' U

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

sounds like this guy is getting a lot of press and very good things are being said about him. could be he had to hire help and wound up hiring some douchebag who screwed up your job.

did you contact him about your problem? what did he say? did he do the work himself? will he make good on it?

and incidentally, a lot of people just assume a finish job is simply a coat of paint. being a finisher (and yes, it is an art) and working with paint i can tell you they are two very different animals. applying a decent finish on a guitar involves a VERY costly investment in gear, space and ability to deal with volatile chemicals.

not trying to belittle youtr experience here, you clearly got ripped off. it just sounds like there's more to this.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

totally a bummer man :(

I read his thread on Talk Bass. he contacted him and apparently gotten a brush-off. "Use a magic marker" indeed. "sand it down"? dude, thats what he was paid to do.

Really hope you get your money back as you definatly did not get the service for which you paid and contracted out.

several years ago I thought about getting my ibanez guitar refinished. I've seen what a friend did to his guitar (he's a professional artist anong many other things). Originally, I was going to strip it down and take it to him but didnt do it. basically he talked me out of it as he said it was his first time finishing a guitar and didnt feel like it was something he was comfortable with, much less charge for. so I jsut let it go. ended up getting some touch-up paint (didnt match the color but hid the plain wood underneath) and the looks of that beat-up guitar didnt affect how it played anyways :)

Originally posted by getz76:

Sounds like a small claims court issue. Ask for a refund first. If not, small claims court it is. DO NOT send that instrument back to this clown-shoe.*

* clown-show: noun; moron. Source - Bumpcity

Yeah. What he said. Total and complete clown-shoe*. Dare I say, he may even be an asshat; or a complete and utter assclown. There is definite ass-hattery afoot in the general vicinity of his shop.

You have what appears to be a printed receipt from Mr. Fuzzy Red Clown Nose. It is obvious that, at the very least, he did not do the first line item "strip and refinish...". I would guess that it has some sort of order number on it as well? You already have the makings of a good case against this Rusty Hacksaw (see: worthless tool). If he isn't willing to speak with you about your displeasure with his services, and a means to remedy that displeasure at no cost to you; I'd suggest consulting with a lawyer, post-haste.

clown-shoe* - noun

origin: First heard uttered by my friend Travis many years ago

1. moron, jackass 2. article of foot attire worn by a clown

http://www.amazinwalter.com/clown/2001clowngraphics/shoe.jpg

OH MY GOD! Does anyone have a noose or three, with thirteen (13) coils?

Like Metallica's "Kill'em All" ? Maybe they got the inspiration for that song, by people like them.

I wouldn't have a heart attack if it was a Squire, Epiphone or $200 bass!

I'm sorry! Pray for those people!

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

:D (and now a word from the clown-prince):

You have a receipt, pictures of the original and pictures of the repair. You're dissatisfied and the vendor gave you his clown-advice. Time to file a complaint with your state Consumer Affairs office; they're usually in the blue-border section of your phone book, and there might be a county office listing under your state's Attorney General's office. Whatever you may think of the process or the outcome, it's worth a shot because the repair is inadequate and you did ask him to fix it. And, in most states, CA complaints could wind up costing the vendor fines and a bad rep in the community. He might be willing to come to the negotiation table with a little prodding from the state; and do you really think at that point (with the state watching) he'd make your bass look worse?

Also, since it's an election year, a visit to your Congressman's office might bring better results (as they're all running for re-election at the moment). Make sure you bring before-and-after photos and your receipts.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

You heard that from the clown.

:wave:

Originally posted by Ace Cracker:

and incidentally, a lot of people just assume a finish job is simply a coat of paint. being a finisher (and yes, it is an art) and working with paint i can tell you they are two very different animals. applying a decent finish on a guitar involves a VERY costly investment in gear, space and ability to deal with volatile chemicals.

not trying to belittle youtr experience here, you clearly got ripped off. it just sounds like there's more to this.

There's always more to it and theres two sides to every story. Mr. Wilkins despite request had chosen to remain silent in this issue.

My point of view is stated at the dudepit and at talk bass.

As far as the painting issue goes, please forgive me if I in any way belittled your work and experience. Painting anything can absolutly be an art. In that regard Pat Wilkins is light years ahead of anything I could ever hope to achieve. However, I've painted Corvetts and Jaguars, I've painted Harley-Davidsons, I've painted Triumphs, I've painted Norton's and I've painted bass guitars. They were all stripped to the bare surface first.

I have access to a spray booth and all HVLP spray guns, PPG and House of Colour paint I could ever want. Getting a smooth coat of solid white on a flat surface is "Painting 101".

I'm not looking to raise a lynch-mob as has been stated elsewhere. I'm not strong arming for leverage with compensation as has been stated elswhere. I'm not looking to destroy a reputation as has been stated elswhere.

Pat Wilkins does the best NEW paint work on the planet. I find his work, with regard to RE-finish work much less so. IMHO.

If you are in the market for a refinish, I offer my experience and documentation as an information source to help other's with their decision.

No sense in maybe pasting the stuff over here. Might as well advertise those other forums where all the smart people are. And yeah, we are all just rushing out to have this guy do work for us now. As soon as we stock up on paint, magic markers and sandpaper our basses will be off to FedEx or UPS. Yuppers.

Originally posted by AgentCooper:

Might as well advertise those other forums where all the smart people are.

???? Smart people? I'm over there. Nobody ever accused me of being the shaprest knife in the kitchen. There's like 120+ posts at TB related to this. It's a little too much to paste.

Ah, don't mind me. Just thinking about how Ashlee Simpson could have saved the day last night on that farting corpse of a show SNL - by having a WARDROBE MALFUNCTION.

Pathetic! The state of popular entertainment these days, old-fashioned STRIPPERS are just the best value on the block...

Originally posted by bikertrash:

As far as the painting issue goes, please forgive me if I in any way belittled your work and experience.
LOL, none taken boss, i was actually trying not to offend you :P . sorry if i came off angry.

my point was more that paint, even automotive finishes, are the wrong finish for a musical instrument. the chemical properties of the penetrating agents would alter the instruments sound. nitrocellulose lacquer is the way to go. it's widely available pre-mixed in white.

as for Consumer Affairs, speaking of clown-shoes. consumer affairs and the better business bureau do NOTHING. they keep a record of complaints about companies, but generally only the ones that list them. secondly, think about it: who calls consumer affairs before they do business with someone? everyone calls to complain, but no one calls to check first. remember that these people are powerless to do anything but record oyur experience. you've already done that much here. you have proof that the guy charged you for work he didn't do. that is fraud and that you can do something about by contacting the state D.A.'s office.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

To be totally honest, I bought the bass out of insurance money that I received when I was diagnosed with cancer. I had always wanted one but never had the money so I figured if I'm ever gonna play one, it's now or never. I talked to Roger about getting exactly what I wanted and the build time was six months. Thaere was some question as to whether I was going to be able to play or even be around in six months.

I posted an add looking for a used one with no result. Out of the blue, A guy from Ney York Emails me say's he's had one sitting in his closet for a couple of years and do I want it. So I bought it. It was Sonic Blue. I tried real hard to like the color but it just never did anything for me.

So, no that I'm in remission and aparently going to live, I decided I have to much invested in it financially and spiritually to not be completly happy with it.

Alder is not the best choice of wood for a 59' burst so Oly White with a matching head stock was my next best chice.

Archived