Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gibson Thunderbird -- everytime I see one,

dmt

I don't see why only rock would be playable on this bass. If so, what type? Would that exlude punk. Or hair metal? Death metal. How 'bout blues? Damn I am so confused now. And I'm told one cannot play it fingerstyle either. It is truly a one trick pony! Egads! The people here are SO knowledgable and yet open minded.

BTW, I played an Epiphone 5-string version that KICKED ass a few years ago. Everybody in the music store thought it was the best sleeper on the wall. While I was slowly messing it into some stuff that was pretty revealing about its tone and sustain clear across and up and down the neck a guy from a traveling band came up and asked me if he could check it out because he used to play Tbirds. In spite of the construction difference he was pretty taken by the bass. As was I. He smiled as he blasted out some stuff.

Too bad he didn't use a pick.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a '64 Thunderbird for a long time. I tried really hard to like it but I never could.

It had the classic Gibson EB sound which either works for you or doesn't. I just couldn't get past the feel and balance of the thing which was lousy unless you really dig all but uncontrolable neck dive. It was a real chore to hold that thing up with your left hand all night. You could wear it high and rest your right arm on the top rear edge and that would counter balance the neck but it shifted all the weight plus some to your shoulder.

I can't comment on neck feel because I'm a form player. Thumb on the back of the neck, nothing but fingertips touching the strings. All necks feel pretty much the same to me shape wise.

It did look cool though.

Yeah, Gibson doesn't have a real good track record on the simplest of ergonomic issues - having a HORN. Really, almost any company could make their horns longer for balance purposes, but Gibson has built some of the worst neck divers around.

I'm in love also. I have some nice basses but, lately picked up a MusicMan Sterling at GC. It freagin' rocks! I was looking to spend twice the amount of money on a Lakland, or Sadowsky. Now I'm just gonna get a black body w/maple neck/headstock...and just a white pickguard...instead of the tobacco quilted maple body etc...and save $1500.

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

Originally posted by tatudbassman:

I'm in love also. I have some nice basses but, lately picked up a MusicMan Sterling at GC. It freagin' rocks! I was looking to spend twice the amount of money on a Lakland, or Sadowsky. Now I'm just gonna get a black body w/maple neck/headstock...and just a white pickguard...instead of the tobacco quilted maple body etc...and save $1500.

OMG! i love sterlings, i played one in a music store in the summer that just reached out and grabbed me, unfortunately im fourteen and have no money so i'm saving my casholla for one of those...and an ibanez edb.......aannnnd an ibanez sr3000e.....AAAAAAAAANNNNND a new amp...........AAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDD............well you get the idea :D

peace

Dear PickPunk, that's what happened to me! The "Sterling" just grabbed me by the heart and soul. And after all these years, I'm going to be saving up also! Just the plain black with maple...it was simple yet beautiful(sounding)!

Good luck from Texas!

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

Archived