Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which compressor pedal?

Gruuve

Hey folks:

I think I'm going to go try out a few pedal-based compressors when I get an opportunity. The SWR head that I won't be using in church has a built-in compressor/limiter circuit that I'm kind of missing with only the MXR M80 as my "rig"... ;) The comp/lim built into the SWR isn't as great sonically as I would expect it to be in a head that cost this much, so in all likelihood, a good compressor pedal will actually have better sound (right?).

I'm leaning toward the Aphex 1404 Punch Factory optical compressor based on specs/descriptions alone at this point. I like that it has both 1/4" and XLR outputs (I'll also likely use it for recording as well, so the XLR out will be a nice fit for that as well as potential direct to PA). I'd expect it to be very quiet and high-quality sound with none of the bad things that compressors do (like breathing). Does anyone have this particular pedal? What do you think of it? Is the optical compression approach as smooth as it's stated to be?

Also, I'm wondering about the Tech21 Bass Compacter. I don't know if there's any locally, but it certainly sounds like it's probaby worth a listen. Does anyone have one of these, and how to you like it?

Any idea how the Digitech multi-band bass compressor pedal compares to these two? How about the Boss bass compressor?

I've checked Dunlop's site, and they apparently don't have any bass specific compressor pedal in the MXR line. I find that hard to believe, but go figure.

Anyway, any advice or suggestions appreciated.

Regards,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i use the punch factory. it is quite as much as i can tell. it works pretty good but i wish it had an adjustable ratio. but other than that the fact it can be powered by phantom power from a mixer is also a plus. i use the d.i. for live gigs to give a line to the mixer for monitors. it was a pretty good sound. plus you can power it with just about any adapter that will fit the plug.

imo. it was the second that i tried and i found it to be better than the boss compressor limiter. i have not tried the other(s) that you have mentioned so i cannot give an opinion on those.

Archived