Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Signal chain order?

Gruuve

Hey folks:

Alright, I'm feeling a little GASsy over here... :rolleyes:

As I've mentioned before, I'll be playing at church through the house PA (which is pretty awesome), so I won't have my SWR head and Carvin 410T cabs. I loath the idea of going straight into the PA and having no control over my tone (other than the EQ on my Stingray5), so the first piece of gear to get me where I want was the MXR M80 preamp/active DI box. It has a "color" tube emulation circuit that's not bad at all. Cool.

I'm still thinking along the lines of adding something that will provide more thickness to my tone (as if the Musicman Stingray's tone isn't already "thick" enough, right? Maybe a high-quality stompbox compressor?) and maybe some other subtle stuff (not sure yet...maybe a bass chorus?). I'm going to just have to try quite a few things and see what strikes my fancy I guess.

Anyway, my question is actually this: The MXR M80 has a very quiet XLR out (as well as two 1/4" outs) which are what I'd prefer to go to the soundboard. However, that would mean that anything else I add to the signal chain has to go in front of the M80. I'd think that something like a compressor, chorus, auto-wah, whatever, should probably go after the preamp (the M80) rather than before it though. Any advice?

At this point, I'm really wishing the M80 had an effects loop like the Radial Bassbone does. Dunlp went halfway there...the M80 has a 2nd parallel 1/4" output (which I actually use for a tuner right now)...I'm wishing they had added a return and mix knob.

Thx,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thought was that it's church. It's hard to imagine that the MXR80 can't "thicken" you up enough for that application. I'm just wondering if you aren't considering shooting a fly with a cannon. But you are the one who is there, so you know best.

As to the signal chain thing, Getz has you covered.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I'm glad I can change the order per preset on my V-Bass (as I could within Peavey TranstubeFEX). I usually have distortion/overdrive before any modulation effects though. Unless I want to distort their modification to the signal. Because overdrives especially are more dynamic when getting the envelope straight from the instrument. If one has TWO EQs it's great to have one BEFORE tubelike or tube distortion, to tailor its emphasis, and one after to shape its tonal response (to fit the mix). This is actually one nice thing about onboard preamps with active EQ.

If I use any compression at all it's usually SECOND TO LAST* or LAST last and very mild, and set more to LIMIT - just to gain about 3dB and sound a lot more like an idealized tube output section. If I was using it to color or to push more sustain through pahser, flanger, whatever, I would place it earlier.

* second to last if I want final EQ. If you EQ before compression it can have adverse effects on dynamics and amplitude of various ranges of the instrument.

My pedals go:

Compression

Synths

Distortions

Filters

Modulation

Delay

Volume

However, the main reason for the compressor being at the start of the chain is to make the synth's lives easier when it comes to tracking the notes. Sans synths, I'd put the compressor at the end of the chain. The point is pretty much moot since I stopped using the compressor about 6 months ago and have no compulsion to go back to it - the space it will vacate will be filled with a tremolo pedal - and no more! ;)

I have EQ both on the bass and my rackmount preamp though I keep the rack pre set flat. I've thought about tweaking for the room with it but that's another story...

I think you should be able to get that thick sound you want without any additional gear. Try turning the amp up and playing lighter - works for everyone from Family Man to Gary Willis.

Alex

Originally posted by getz76:

You would usually put your effects before the preamp, especially considering you have a preamp in the Stingray.

Actually, that's a very good point...it's not a passive level signal coming out of the bass to start with. Very good point...

As to why I want to thicken it even further...well, I guess because I can? :thu:

Thx!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

Originally posted by getz76:

You would usually put your effects before the preamp, especially considering you have a preamp in the Stingray.

Actually, that's a very good point...it's not a passive level signal coming out of the bass to start with. Very good point...
That wasn't the point... most floor effects are designed to work with passive signals.

As greenboy alluded, you have some toneshaping in the front of the chain and at the back of the chain...

Archived