Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OK, you hair band phreaks...

The other day on 98.9 THE ROCK's "Flashback" program, we heard an old song "Say What You Will"...by some hair band. The tab for the riff went...(in a moderate shuffle) e---------------------------------------------- b------------------------7--7-5~~~------------- g-----5-6-7-5-6-5-------7--7-5~~~2-2---------- d-----------------7-5----7--7-5~~~2-2---etc... a---------------------7-------------0-0---------- e---------------------------------------------- It's driving my wife and I crazy as to who did this song. I even think an old band of mine may have done it back in the day. Who did it??? I'm thinking it may have been Ratt, but geez, I dunno...I could be way off.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess my hair band roots are showing! Really I was just on the outer fringe of that music, the heavier stuff. But ... but ... I don't listen to that stuff anymore ... I swear on my SRV cd's... don't kick me out of the club!
I really don't know what to put here.

btw, read the book "fargo rock city." super funny account of one man's devotion to hair-metal while growing up in a North Dakota town with a popuation of only 500. best rock and roll book in a long time.... -d. gauss

I wouldn't really consider them a one hit wonder, because the whole album kicks ass. The self titled is a classic. (By pop standards, yeah they were a one hit wonder.) They we're more a rock band that showed influences from the classic rock era. The s/t in particular shows a big Zep influence. It is also chock full of great playing and songwriting. I think it was just by chance that they scored a hit with the hair scene, because it really isn't the same type of stuff as Ratt, Crue, Dokken, etc. Fastway belongs more in the AC/DC catagory than hair. Ted, I've got it on CD if you want to sample it, or if that's not ethical... [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000025V1/qid=1025949652/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/102-9423108-9690555]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000025V1/qid=1025949652/sr=1-3/ ref=sr_1_3/102-9423108-9690555[/url]

Oh, I wasn't trying to talk down about the hair band thing. My wife loves that tune, (and AC/DC is her fave rave band, BTW, for purpose of categorical comparison). We went to see a Motorhead show years and years ago, too. I'm not sure if Fast Eddie was playing. I remember Lemmy and that Ric bass and his mic set so he had to almost look straight up to sing. Oh yeah, I think my wife ordered the CD once she found out who it was by...but thanks! :D
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

If motorhead is a hair band, count me in. A dirty hair band? "------------------------------------------------------------------------ I guess my hair band roots are showing! Really I was just on the outer fringe of that music, the heavier stuff. But ... but ... I don't listen to that stuff anymore ... I swear on my SRV cd's... don't kick me out of the club!" It's not a big deal, you just have to dye your hair again so the roots match. And tease it a little.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

fast eddie clark was the real deal! motorhead *w/out* him was never the same. fastway-(fast)eddie and pete(way) was goin to be HUGE but, well, ya know how it goes. thankfully there is early motorhead to keep my chest thumpin-from the inside and the outside! s :cool:
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

[quote]Originally posted by Steve Smith: [b]Is this the same fastway that did the "trick or treat" soundtrack?.. speaking of things that sucked....[/b][/quote]same dudes...
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

I didn't get the sense you were dogging the hair thing, I just tend to get anal about these bizarre classifications that get cooked up. Like how in the hell can mainstream pop be alternative. I'm still trying to figure that out. :freak:

[quote]Originally posted by the stranger: [b]I didn't get the sense you were dogging the hair thing, I just tend to get anal about these bizarre classifications that get cooked up. Like how in the hell can mainstream pop be alternative. I'm still trying to figure that out. :freak: [/b][/quote]That kind of thing puzzled the living shit out of me for years. Then I thought, well advertisers must be poets in their own way, throwing these Zen paradoxes at us. :D

Archived