Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just got back from King's X show...

Damn.

I haven't seen the mighty King's X live for years and they friggin' blew the roof off the Fenix Underground here in Seattle. They played a great mix of old and new, including some brand spankin' new songs that aren't even released yet. Highlights for me personally were them playing "Freedom"; which Yogi & Half Zaftig played live on a few occasions. The other really happy moment was at the beginning of their encore when I suggested to Ty Tabor (who was about 3' from me), "Play Pleiades, it'll be fun", and they proceeded to do so. I owned the King's X jukebox for one wonderful song and all was well in the world; even if Dug played some really hideous notes now and then. That was cool.

They played their asses off and the crowd was absolutely grateful for a wonderful night of music. If the X rolls through your town on this tour, you'd be a fool not to catch the show.

On the serious gear tip, I talked to Dug after the show about his current setup. He's using Ampeg 8x10 cabs and he's sending his basses through an Ampeg preamp and a POD. The POD is set to one of the Marshall guitar presets for all the overdrive Death Tone with the lows rolled off at about 250Hz. His tone was to die for. I was bowing at the mercy of it all night long. It made me want to buy more gear. GAS sucks. It's only money, right?

Oh yes, and one last thing. Ty informed me that they will be recording a version of "Freedom" for an official release in the very near future. Beauty.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way cool! I haven't followed them for awhile, but I really got into them awhile back. Have to "rediscover" them. First cut of theirs I ever heard was off the "Faith, Hope, Love" CD...seriously sounded like what the Beatles would have sounded like with heavier guitars.

And Ty Tabor was the author of one of my favorite quotes about music...something to the effect of:

"If you're hiring a new band member, and you have a choice between two guys, one who is a phenomenal player but kind of a jerk, and the other who is an okay player and a really cool guy, always go with the cool guy".

I wish I had had that advice when I was younger.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by WCunha:

Awesome. I've wanted to see them live for a while. I just started getting into them this year.

Does he split his signal with one going into the ampeg and the other going into the pod?

He splits it before it hits the Ampeg and sends a signal to each. The SVP and POD signals get mixed back to one signal before they are sent to his power amps; I'm not sure how he's got that bit setup. I'm still beside myself with envy at his tone. It was so friggin' bad ass.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

The SVP and POD signals get mixed back to one signal before they are sent to his power amps; I'm not sure how he's got that bit setup.

Maybe he just runs the POD in the SVP's effects loop?

I need to hear some King's X - which album should I start with?

Alex

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

The SVP and POD signals get mixed back to one signal before they are sent to his power amps; I'm not sure how he's got that bit setup.

Maybe he just runs the POD in the SVP's effects loop?

I need to hear some King's X - which album should I start with?

Alex

He most definitely does not run the POD through the effects loop; the signal is split and sent to each preamp/processor seperately. That was one of the things we discussed when I was talking to him last night.

The 'essential' King's X would be:

Gretchen Goes To Nebraska

Faith Hope Love

Dogman

King's X

Earcandy

Out of the Silent Planet

I would suggest buying them in that order as well, though I might swap King's X and Earcandy for the sole reason that "Life Going By" is one of the greatest songs ever written.

Archived