Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Band Audition Tonight - Done This Before, But I still Feel the Tingles

Rick Hoffman

Ahhhhh, what its like to meet new people, and jam with them.

Due to the slow, eventual, methodical fall-out of my last original band :cry: , I set out on a quest to find a new one. Having been through this before I was much more skeptical and smart about finding my next group of mates.

So, I went to different websites and posted a few ads, listened to MP3s and talked on the phone with different people about music philosophy :evil: Metal/hard rock is what I was born and bred on so I should fit right in. In the other band I was in I was doing a lot of funky kind of stuff, cool vamps, that sort of thing, with some rock and metal thrown in. I really miss that band but people have to take care of their needs in life. :rolleyes:

So...in about 3 hours I'll be meeting these guys at a Friday's restaurant near the rehearsal studio. The guitar/vocalist, drummer, and I.

I kind of hope it all works out, but if not - its alright. I'm already playing in 2 cover bands on Wednesday and Thursday each week. :thu:

So if all goes well tonight I'll be employed by 3 different bands. And, I will have a buttload of new material to learn. Hopefully they will all be playing out soon. But I guess thats up to me.

Peace, all

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the best of luck to ya !! :thu: I was raised on metal and rock too, but found out whilst playing in a (nu)metal band that I actually don't necessarily want to PLAY that kind of music. I like poppy stuff, and '70s rock (as far as playing in bands goes)

Let us know how it went !!

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Break a leg! I love metal. Use the energy to deepen the groove baby!

My original band is what we call "pop metal". It's like No Doubt meets Metallica. My cover band is still doing a Creedence medly for cryin' out loud.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

ARGHHHH :mad:

Nah, this ain't good. Well I met up with the guitar player, Rob, beforehand at a bar and we BS'd for a lil while and that was alright - talkin about music n stuff like that.

The drummer met us at the studio and he was a real technical type drummer, very into dream theatre n stuff. That was pretty cool, I first got familiar with dream theatre up close at a concert recently so I knew what they were about- :freak: . My chops got a pretty good workout from playing with that fast mother.

But the things that absolutely sucked is this -

-guitar player had a book of riffs that was virtually empty. He played with such potential, but only knew a few really good hooks.

-couldn't play one cover song in its entirety, wouldn't even jam it just stop if he didn't know it. We did some Maiden and he couldn't play through.

-me and this drummer guy were locked on just jamming to his riffs, we went other places and the guitar player couldn't follow. Man that really irritated me.

When we were Bs'in earlier all he told me was how improvisational he was. SO I figured cool this guy can play by ear along with anything. :thu: I checked out his Mp3's and dude the guitars on this production sounded awesome, really good metal stuff. :thu: And it was good in person, too but when the drummer and I locked into it and started playing along, he'd just stop playing and he'd be smiling at me. :) I'm just like, hey man its ok to smile but just keep your fingers moving, ok? He just kept jumping around we never played one song from beginning to end-except for one song, Living After Midnight.

It was a 2 hour rehearsal. In the 2nd hour I realized I'm not comin back. :D It would take wayyyy too much effort and this guitar guy could, but just wouldn't, cut it.And that drummer was pretty good, although maybe he was a bit too techy.

I think I'm passin up on this one...

Next-the Power Folk Trio...I have to give this next guy a call...

:thu:

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Archived