Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi-OT: I hate computers!

Whacked

Been without the 'net since Thursday.

replaced soooooo many parts over the last 3 months that I basically have a brand new machine.

But on the bright side,...

Friday after work I went to Music-Go-Round and picked up that MIM Fender Jazz Bass Fretless :)

My very first Fender.

Whoot!

no clue what i'll do with a fretless, I suck bad enough as it is with a fretted bass.

from what I can tell, its a '98 model and a purple-ish color. near-Perfect condition, other than some discoloration on the pup & bridge screws, I couldnt tell it was used.

and I went to the store originally to look at a new amp. Oh well, there is always next month :)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next time your puter crashes, you could try some Lemmy inspired "purcussive maintainance"... :evil:

Congrats on the new bass... fretless takes some getting used to.... ie, practice, but it will work wonders for your intonation :) .

You're gonna love it.... :love:

Rock on........

Tommy :P

on the "purcussive maintainance"

the hard drive has a date with the concrete compression machine on Monday morning :) all in the name of science. Got to find out how well Western Digital hard drives can stand up under "pressure" :)

the motherboard, case, ram, and soundcard, well, they will become dumpster targets as I chuck 30lb concrete cylinders at them. We burned out a microwave in our soils lab, and I know that didnt take the concrete crashing into em well :D

Well, I tried to update my operating system and...nothing. Trying to get the IT guys at workto see if they'll lok at my compter for me. If not, of to the service center.

Can't access email at work (it's blocked) but can get here. Gonna try to set up the fiance's old PC tonight so we can have something...

Made me want to buy new... but can't for now.

Originally posted by SteveC:

Well, I tried to update my operating system and...nothing. Trying to get the IT guys at workto see if they'll lok at my compter for me. If not, of to the service center.

Can't access email at work (it's blocked) but can get here. Gonna try to set up the fiance's old PC tonight so we can have something...

Oh you're one of those huh... I used to get about 10 people a week at work that wanted me to take care of their home pc's. For a few close people, or in a few circumstance I did, it if had the time at work, but I told them to keep quiet about it. If someone asked a question I was always helpful to everyone with advice etc. but this was only of use if they remember what went wrong. I'd ask "What's wrong?" Then, 9 out of 10 times I'd hear the words that made me cringe... "My AOL...". :mad::mad::mad:

Or what used to make me laugh was.. "Oh, if you come to my house and fix my pc (usually 4 or more hours work) I'll make you dinner." To hell with that, I can make my own dinner.. Do you know I can charge you at least $150 an hour for my expertise. I don't think you cook that good.. Maybe if the offer was (when I was single) from an attractive young lady but that was rarely the case. Most of them had beauty on the inside. That was a good thing too because they had Swamp Thing on the outside....

Seriously though, I feel your pain. The fact that you got as far as reloading your OS is a good sign...

What's wrong?

What errors?

What's changed recently?

Did you update any drivers?

Install a new program?

Install new hardware?

Did you try a full, clean install of the OS?

But most importantly, can you get the pc up to a point where you can get your stuff off of it?

Is this the right forum for this? No but you can PM me I'll I'll at least try to lead you in the right direction. No promises though.... Keep in mind I'm unemplyed too. You you weren't 3000 miles away I'd show up with my "Will Work For Gear" sign.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Originally posted by butcherNburn:

Originally posted by SteveC:

Oh you're one of those huh... I used to get about 10 people a week at work that wanted me to take care of their home pc's. For a few close people, or in a few circumstance I did, it if had the time at work, but I told them to keep quiet about it. If someone asked a question I was always helpful to everyone with advice etc. but this was only of use if they remember what went wrong. I'd ask "What's wrong?" Then, 9 out of 10 times I'd hear the words that made me cringe... "My AOL...". :mad::mad::mad:

Or what used to make me laugh was.. "Oh, if you come to my house and fix my pc (usually 4 or more hours work) I'll make you dinner." To hell with that, I can make my own dinner.. Do you know I can charge you at least $150 an hour for my expertise. I don't think you cook that good.. Maybe if the offer was (when I was single) from an attractive young lady but that was rarely the case. Most of them had beauty on the inside. That was a good thing too because they had Swamp Thing on the outside....

Seriously though, I feel your pain. The fact that you got as far as reloading your OS is a good sign...

What's wrong?

What errors?

What's changed recently?

Did you update any drivers?

Install a new program?

Install new hardware?

Did you try a full, clean install of the OS?

But most importantly, can you get the pc up to a point where you can get your stuff off of it?

Is this the right forum for this? No but you can PM me I'll I'll at least try to lead you in the right direction. No promises though....

I feel your pain! I work in the same field and get this crap all the time.

I usually ask them how much the "professional" shop was charging, tell them 3/4 of that, or take it there. At least I'll make the trip to their house.

Check out my work in progress.

Ahh, the age old pastime of detroying things with big heavy objects because you can. :D
http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Originally posted by Jack-O-Phil-O-Lantern:

Ahh, the age old pastime of detroying things with big heavy objects because you can. :D

Hehehe yea. VERY fun! stress relieving too :)

I've asked my IT dude a few questions. Only once I asked for his help and he took my PC for a couple days. didnt charge me anything as he wanted to work on it for the learning experience. Turned out my problem was bad BIOS.

Other than that. I've built 5-6 PC's. I can usually figure out and fix whats wrong.

but man i'm loving my fretless. my fingers hurt now so I cant play as much as id like.

Well, to all you IT guys, I was able to figure it out myself - after I got one tip. It only took the IT guy 2 minutes of talking. I didn't waste much of his time at all.

Now I need to get GarageBand and the little adapter for my bass and I'll be making CD's and $$'s before you know it!

Steve: still have that Bass Pod?

then all you need is a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and plug it into the "line in" on your soundcard.

I got a Y type adapter just 'cause. cost less than $5 at radioshack. Plug my bass into my Sansamp DI and from there to my soundcard. Groovin goodness.

Thought about but havent tried to plug my drum machine into the other jack on the Y. not sure if i'll have to run it thru some sort of preamp or not so thats why I havent tried yet.

Glad to hear you're back up and running.... Just a reminder to all... Back Up Your Data!!! Luckily most of us have cd burners and this can be easily accomplished as long as you know where your stuff is.. So there are no excuses.

What, you have no band? Create 1 here. I know it's old but it's still great fun.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Archived