Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OMG...what have I done?

Raven

I think I really put my foot in it this time...

The keyboardist in our church band left this week, and the band leader asked me to play keyboards and let the second guitarist play bass. Like a dummy, I said OK.... :eek: Practice went well enough, and I can play the songs... I've played keyboards off and on most of my life, but I don't play that well....(I think I suck...). After practice every one's telling me how good I did and it sounded great, and I played with great feeling.... :confused: These guys are good, experienced musicians, not a bunch of wankers who are easily impressed, but I don't think I deserve that much credit.... I'm close to scared s***less when I have to play keys, totally opposite from playing bass.... its not my comfort zone...

I've committed to doing this until a replacement keyboardist is found... but the more I think about the less confident I get.... and I want to do a good job....

Any suggestions as to how I can get over this anxiety and feeling inadequate?

Thanks

Tommy

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool!

You are now officially a "Multi-instrumentalist". Start speaking in obscure musical terms and demand more money! :D:D

Seriously though, embrace this opprotunity. Your bandmates say you are doing well, do you feel that they are decieving you? If you trust their opinions then relax. Work hard to improve what you feel needs to be and give it all you've got.

I bet that you will do great and you will be enriched by the experience! :thu:

Good luck man, and keep us informed on the project.

Cheers!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Pray, my brother. I always do it before i play and it brings me the peace i need to get through.. but I'm weird that way... ;)

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Strange... I am in a similar situation. I play bass at church, and recently started playing in a band they put together to lead worship for the youth once a month. Oddly enough, they are having difficulty finding a lead guitarist, but there is another musician who is an amply able bassist, so I was asked to take the lead guitar role. This is totally out of character for me, and out of my comfort zone... it might be lots of fun... but it will still be weird. And my guitar skills/experience/gear are less than that of the bass... but still, my advice to you is to go for it, it should be fun.

You know what? Playing keys might be cool.

'Cause if ya drop out a bar, nobody will notice.

Especially if you play sparsely, which you should do for taste anyway.

Try dropping out for a measure on the bass stand.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Thank you all for the words of encouragement...

I guess I should take my bandmates opinions seriously since we've been together for a couple of years now. If something doesn't sound right or isn't working there's never been any hesitation on anyone's part to point it out....

And yes Dave, you're absolutely correct in saying that I can lay back and play just what's needed to fill space... Between the Korg Triton, the Roland Fantom and the Ensoniq KS-32, (the Korg and the Ensoniq are mine,) there are tons of big fat sounds that should fill in well.

I'm not a Rick Wakeman or Keith Emerson,(not even close) and no one expects me to be, so I'll practice my butt off, learn what patches work best and have fun.

I'll let you know how it went after church tomorrow....

Rock on...

Tommy

Well you've done it now... Since the other musicians are giving you positive feedback, and you respect their opinion, just do it. As the man said, practice, practice, practice, so that you're confidence level is up. See how it goes your first time out, and chalk it up as experience. If you still don't like it, help recruit someone else to fill the position so you can get the bass back in your hands.
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

davebrownbass: Playing keys might be cool. 'Cause if ya drop out a bar, nobody will notice. Especially if you play sparsely, which you should do for taste anyway.

Try dropping out for a measure on the bass stand.

How timely your mention of this. I'm listening to Ivan Neville's THANKS. He plays most of the keys AND bass on this album (and of course sings). He has one cut on here that really draws my attention. The bass drops out quite a bit - for phrases loner than a bar or two (so does the main keyboard, sometimes at the same time, sometimes not). And it works spendidly. It draws my attention to assumptions I've been harboring that just aren't true. They may be trusims, but now that I think about it, I have heard a lot of material that can benefit from this approach.

Just enjoy it. If I had to guess, I'd say you're probably measuring yourself by Wakemanesque standards, while your bandmates are looking for something that'll be comfortable & not wreck. The fact that these are friends you've played with for a long time & they're happy with what you're doing seems, to me, to say it all.

Originally posted by Torgo's Knees:

I'd say you're probably measuring yourself by Wakemanesque standards...
You're correct sir.... and I shouldn't do that. When playing bass, it doesn't bother me that there are lots of bassists I listen to, including ones here on this forum, that are just as good on bass as Wakeman or Emerson are on keys.... I just do the best I can, and try to avoid a train wreck... :D

I'm gonna do this as well as I can and not worry... (practice, practice, practice...)

Thanks everyone for the encouragement....

YOU ROCK :thu:

Almost every musician I've played with, has told me...I don't give myself enough credit. I guess it's just perfectionism or low self-esteem. These are character defects I've learned the hard way. Though alllll those "party" days but, now I try not to be so hard on myself, and I'm becoming a better musician (after all these years of that B.S.).

Love and Peace.

email anytime vnpriest@hotmail.com

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

Originally posted by davebassman:

C'mon fellas, aren't we missing the REAL problem here... you've let a bloody guitarist loose on the bass!!!

Pray with me...

:D:D:D:D

Actually in defense of the new bass player, I have full confidence in his ability to do this.... he has been one of my few private pupils for almost a year now, he's also majoring in music at UNF, and is very gifted....I'm very pleased with his playing so far.... he doesn't try to overplay, and locks in with the drummer really well.

I had a great time today playing keys, things went fairly smooth..... Its really tricky tho... changing patches on one keyboard, while playing on another and still trying to sing harmony.... chords with one hand and floaty lines with the other.... :confused: I haven't done this in years... :freak: its a lot for my poor old brain to keep track of..... :D

Tommy

Tommy

Since you approve of the bassist, and the musicians are pleased with you on keys, there is no reason for them to find a replacement. Stop playing so well, or use really weird patches. You have to make the old lady in the 2nd row loose her glasses because you hit the "sneeze and cough" patch, and flip to the "oboe on crack" patch. Then they'll get serious about finding a keys player. ;)

Consider yourself lucky and blessed to be able to do it. It's a gift many of us couldn't give....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I played piano for 2 years when I was younger - I quit piano when I picked up a bass. That was back in my hard core heavy metal days. Now I wish I had kept up with piano, if anything just a little bit. Because now, I would love to have that versatility.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Originally posted by Dr. Zarkov:

You have to make the old lady in the 2nd row loose her glasses because you hit the "sneeze and cough" patch, and flip to the "oboe on crack" patch.
ROFLMAO.... thats hilarious.... :D I haven't been able to find those patches yet, but I managed to create the "My Great Dane ate a can of beans" patch..... and I'm working on an "I caught myself in my zipper" patch..... :freak:

Tommy

What doesn't kill you, will make you a better musician. But while you're doing it, make it clear to the band leader that your preference is bass and set a timeline as to when you want to switch back. Otherwise, they will have no incentive to find a keys player.

Guy

Archived