Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What was your first bass and amp?

Gruuve

Someone mentioned that this ought to be a seperate thread...obviously, I agree.

My first bass was a Yamaha BB300 that I bought for $200. (Still have it in fact...I could only sell it for $100, so I'll just keep it for that.) My first bass rig was a Hartke 3500 (350 watts) with a Peavey 1516 cabinet (the cab with a 15 and two 8's). I used that for quite a while until I upgraded to an SWR SM-800 head, then went on the search for cabinets. I had a local company called Creative Acoustics build me a 410 and 115 cabinet...they sucked. I sold them and bought two Carvin 410T cabinets. I was VERY happy with those Carvin cabs until I then bought a Musicman Stingray5. The frequency response low end (40 Hz or so) just doesn't reproduce the 30 Hz B-string fundamental with as much conviction as I'd like. I was considering replacing those two cabs with something that has a combination of different sizes (some 15's or 18's, some 10's or 8's, etc.) when the band kind of fizzled out. The Carvin's are certainly more than suitable for practice use... ;)

The end of the above story was well over 5 years ago. Now, I'm getting back into playing. Rather than playing for a gigging band, I'm actually playing at my wife's church (my first Sunday morning "gig" will be Oct 24). I really don't need my rig there...I'll go straight into a substantial PA through an MXR M80 preamp/active DI footpedal. Cool...less stuff to carry and it sounds almost as good!

Post about your first bass and amp, and any other details you feel like sharing!

:thu:

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first bass and amp.... :o

Tha bass was a Harmony hollow body with C-clamp action, and a Kalamazoo 20 watt amp with 2 of the crummiest 10" speakers ever made...

It's a wonder I ever stuck with bass with a start like that...

Its also why I bought my kids and grandkids quality entry level instruments when they beacme interested in learning to play... nothing will discourage a kid quicker than trying to learn to play on a piece of crap....

My first bass was a Cort P bass copy, and a Peavey Microbass combo amp.

(Well technically my very first bass was a Session "Road Series" P bass copy I had about 16 years ago in high school. I think was a Korean bass - very el cheapo at the time I seem to recall. I never had an amp, just used to use the school's amp. That bass was stolen in high school, and I haven't touched a bass since then)

After having the Cort and Peavey for around eighteen months I've just upgraded to a Warwick Rockbass Corvette and a Behringer BX600 combo.

I'll keep the Cort and the Peavey - they're not worth much, so I can't see a whole point in selling them, and I'll still play them from time to time.

:thu:

My first bass was a red SG shaped Kay.I played it through a Univox UB250.

Hey Raven, I had a Kalamazoo Bass 30, with the little flip-out panel in the back. It was about 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide but it only had 2- 12" speakers in it. :rolleyes::D It died a horrible smoking death! :D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Mine was an old beat-up bass I got at a flea market for $40 in an old acoustic guitar case. Made in some unfashionable district in Asia, then cast off by a hippy.

But to go with it, I did get a new amp...some glorified cardboard box with an 8" driver in it, that wolfed hard when you played an open D. I plugged into it with one of those old curly-coiled cables.

Wish I still had the cable. :D

Mine was a Kramer 4 string with the eighteen ton aluminum neck. Amp was Peavey Mark IV with a twin 15 cab.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Heh, I was SO close to posting this thread!

My first bass (and my current one) is a OLP MM2 Stingray copy. It's happily strung with some random Guild flatwounds (I wanna buy better ones but for now they're fine) and is looking forward to a Seymour Duncan MM preamp to go with it's SD MM pickup.

My first bass amp was my 15 watt Crate with an 8 inch speaker. After that, I moved up to a Crate BFX100 which I leave at my original band's drummer's house.

As of today, I officially own my third bass rig. I picked up a Mark VIII head in the classifieds for $150 and just received my brand SPANKIN' new Avatar Neo B210!!! Gosh it sounds awesome! I officially have a half stack. Gosh that's so cool.. and so light!

I think it's safe to say my GAS is quenched for a bit, atleast until I decide to buy a lighter head.

In Skynyrd We Trust

My first bass was an old, beat up Sears Jazz bass clone, with a short scale neck, and only one working pickup. All the metal was rusted. The strings were almost as old as the bass. It had a bridge pickup cover and string mute, though, but I had gotten a better bass before I realized that was actually kind of cool :)

I got with it an old Sears bass amp with a two-band eq that made no noticeable change to the sound, no matter how you turned them. It has an 8-inch speaker and is open-backed. The amp was made (I'm told) right after Sears stopped selling tube-based amplifiers, making it basically worthless but for sentimental value.

No matter how bad they were, I still enjoyed playing them enough to be "bitten" by the bass bug. And, despite the flaws, the combo of that amp and bass together made for a very mellow, dubby sound that was actually kind of cool!

unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

my first bass was an arbor p-bass copy. the guy at the music store that i bought it from set it up for me so it was a very good starter. my first amp was a peavey tko 100 and a tnt 100 (not too sure on the numbers) i got the two peaveys for $120 for both . i got the whole package for $200.

My first bass was a Japanese made (Matsumoku factory 1977) Jazz bass copy. The brand is "Vorg, by Pearl". Ever heard of those? They had a "Pearl" line (same logo as the drums), and a "Vorg, by Pearl" line, that was twice the price. As far as I know they just made Fender and Gibson copies. It was the only piece of gear I did not sell when I stopped playing for some 15 years. I Didn't sell it because I had already defretted it, and I thought nobody would be interested. I'm glad I still have it. I put Rotosound Tru Bass nylon strings on it.

First amp was a beige sixties Fender Bassman 70 watt head on a 2 x 12 (next to each other, not stacked). Two channels: "bass instrument" and "normal instrument". Ha! I made some profit selling it, but I wish I had kept it. Just to look at it.

My first bass was a red Samick, you know a MusicMan imitation. The tone knob didn't work anymore so the guy who I got it from had rerouted the wiring to the volume knob.

Funny story here: I bought the bass for about $40. When I decided to sell it, one of my dad's friends came over because he was interested. But he didn't know much about basses, so he brought with him ... a drummer :D The drummer just took my bass, looked at it and said "Yeah this is a good one, buy it." I sold it for $60 :thu:

My amp was and still is a Peavy TKO65. Paid about $200 for it.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

My first bass was a Harmony Jazz copy with P/J pickups. It was actually a decent bass with a good neck, rosewood fingerboard, block inlays, and cool metallic red paint. I remember it was very solid and heavy, and sounded punchy unamplified. The only amp at the time I owned this bass was a Peavey Studio Pro 40 guitar amp. Guess what it sounded like through that? I soon got my first real Jazz... A natural ash '71 w/maple fingerboard.

My first amp was a silverface Fender Bassman 50 head with matching 2 x 15" cab. I bought this myself when I was 15 for $50.00! It worked great and I kept it for years. I eventually traded it in on my first SVT :) .

My first bass actually belonged to my brother. He had gotten it one Xmas and never learned to play. It was purchased at Sears. The amp was also from Sears, it was worse than the bass.

A year or so later my father bought me an Electra MPC Outlaw. A cheesy gimmick bass, but what did I know. This is why you young 'uns need a good teacher! I could have picked up a late '60s Jazz Bass for a less.

My first bass was a Kay EB3 copy that I bought for $35. I never had an amp with that bass, because I soon traded it for a dirt bike.

My first amp was a Peavey TNT 115 that I bought for $225. At the time I had my second bass, an Aria Pro II "The Cat" bass.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

My first bass was a 1991 Fender MIM P bass, black. I still love this one and can't see ever getting rid of it. I love the sound and as I posted before "It's what bass is to me." It's a part of my body. I played a nearly identical one years back and it sounded completely different. The wood color on the neck was noticeably lighter too. I made a few modifications to the electronics and added a black pickguard but that's it. No matter how many basses I get, what they cost, or prestige that comes along with the name, that will always be my baby.

My first amp was bought the same day. A Fender Sidekick with a 10" speaker.

I had wanted to play bass for a few years and one day I had some money and just up and did it. There were people around me at the time that said they'll teach me some things but as soon as I got an instrument they were nowhere to be found. The money really hurt at the time (I was 20, low paying job, supporting a mother, brother, and sister) but thankfully the guys at the music store led me in the right direction since I had no idea about anything.

That was one leap of faith I'm glad I took.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

My first was a 4-string EKG (or EKO?) italian hand-made bass, which i still have and use. I started off playing through a SESSIONETTE guitar amp...

My gear:

Ibanez SR3005ESOL

Korg DTR-2000

Mesa/Boogie Basis M-2000 (For sale)

Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 1000 (For sale)

Feel as though I had two first basses.

Many years ago I played guitar in a funk/soul band, mainly 60s stuff, Stax, Atlantic and early James Brown. The bassist left and I switched to bass, buying a used white Fender Precision for the purpose. That was the first bass I owned, but I soon realised my heart wasn't in it, and I switched back to guitar at the earliest opportunity. I wish I'd kept that bass, but I sold it immediately - I don't know what era it was but it was a great bass to play.

My next bass - the one I think of as my "proper" first bass - was a Wal. I advertised locally for a bass and was offered a Wal at such a great price I grabbed it. I paid £350 for it and sold it to an American last year for about £1,400. My first amp (bought at the same time) was a little Trace Eliot BLX 80. I actually stuck with this for about 4 years of gigging, although I was always going through a PA. I new nothing about bass sound, really - with the benefit of hindsight getting a better amp earlier would have speeded up the learning process.

My first bass was a Hondo Alien headless. Wierd guitar. It was great until the novelty wore off, then I realized that it didn't sound very good. I bought an Ibanez RB 850. Fixed the sound problem.

Anybody know where I can find a pic of a Hondo Alien? I'd like one for posterity :D

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Circa 1972. A MicroFrets bass, and this Ace Tone amp.

http://dennyf.com/acetone.jpg

I still have the amp head, it's pretty punchy, but only about 50-60watts. Got three little midrange shape buttons, kinda like some G-Ks, but about 25 years sooner. ;)

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Archived