Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Adding A Jaco Tune..Is It Pretentious?

Edendude

On my suggestion we're going to be adding 'Come On, Come Over' from Jaco's first solo album, to our band's rep. I want to add it because I really dig the groove, and it'll fit in perfectly with the rest of our blues, funk, Motown, and R&B material.

That's cool, right? Just worried it might be viewed as pretentious by some. Not that I should give a shit really, I suppose.

Any of you guys play any of Jaco's material in your regular repertoire?

Just curious.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a fellow bassist I would not consider this pretensious at all... if I heard a band do this at a bar or club I would be rather impressed....

Like you said ..if anybody has a problem with it... too bad...

www.danielprine.com

Great choice! I love that song and you're right, it does have a great groove.

I think if you're playing the song because you love it or as a tribute of some kind, then no worries.

If you're playing it for the "look at me" factor, then "get your hand off it".

If you like the song do the song, unless you feel you can't do it somewhere near to the way you would wish your rendition to be. People who have a problem with it, well... it's a song, right? It deserves to be shared, and it deserves to be learned from.

Best of luck doing it! : }

Sometimes you muthas are just so damn cool and encouraging.

:thu::D

P.S...

Definitely not for the 'look at me' factor. One of the reasons I became a bass player, is because I'm all about playing for the tunes and not to feed my ego. And I like the idea that 'Come On, Come Over' is Jaco's homage to his own R&B roots. Or at least that's how I interpret that tune.

But I will confess to wanting to do it in part to pay homage to one of my all time favorite musicians and influences. No shame in that, me thinks.

I'm with everybody else. Play the song.

I think the only problem I'd ever have with someone doing that song is if the bassist had the attitude "I'm the S***." If the bassist has the attitude, "Here's a tribute" I'd admire him.

Take Vic Wooten. What tune does he quote Jaco in? Anyway, when I hear him play it, he tenderizes those notes, speaks them. He says, in effect, "Lest we all forget."

Preach.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

And then there's that great duet on Vic's 'Live In America' CD, with he and Marcus Miller doin' Teen Town.

Now there's a Jaco tribute! And of course those guys really are the shit, and yet both are pretty damn humble and down to earth human beings.

Have you guys heard that cut? It's freakin' monsterous!

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

If the bassist has the attitude, "Here's a tribute" I'd admire him.

Definitely what I had in mind when suggesting we play that tune.

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

Take Vic Wooten. What tune does he quote Jaco in? Anyway, when I hear him play it, he tenderizes those notes, speaks them. He says, in effect, "Lest we all forget."

Preach.

Ah yes, that's a very wonderful quote of "Continuum" in Bela Fleck and the Flecktone's song "Big Country". His delivery is very lyrical, yes indeed. I had the biggest smile on my face the first time I listened to that song because of that quote.

OK, so I looked around and had a few of the shows that got recorded. This was the only one with a version of "Come On, Come Over" on it. This was (I think) one of the drummer's first gigs with us. You can hear me telling him how the song starts before he counts it off. The no-homework-doing bastard. He's one of the reasons I quite this band. One of the guys "singing" is the bari sax player. He gave it the "angry drunkard" delivery and I really don't think it worked so well... but whatever. You get the idea.

Come On, Come Over

Recorded live at "Big Daddy's Place", Woodinville, WA on August 17, 2002. As I recall it was hotter than hell that night.

I'm going to go through the rest of this gig and see if anything else is worth listening to. This band could be really good, and it could be really bad. A lot of it depended on how the horns were feeling that particular night and how well the damn drummer remembered songs and their forms.

I want to add it because I really dig the groove, and it'll fit in perfectly with the rest of our blues, funk, Motown, and R&B material.

You just answered your own question. Pretension isn't about what you do, it's about your motives for doing it. You like the tune, you think it will enhance your set. As long as you're confident your band can do a good job of it, there is nothing pretentious about that.

Originally posted by Edendude:

That's cool, right? Just worried it might be viewed as pretentious by some.

After all those guitarists who constantly do Hendrix, Stevie Ray and all their other dead heroes? DO IT AND BE PROUD!!!!

:thu:

Rock on Bump!! :thu: Must have more!!

Eden, it would only be prentious if you could not play the song, and then turned around and bragged about how well you can...

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

That raises another question...

My feeling on how to approach the song for our band, was that I would try to replicate the main groove riff that's under the verses in 'C' as closely to the original recording as possible, but feel a little more free to play outside on the change up to 'D' during those breaks. I plan to keep the feel and stick with Jaco's groove thematically, and not totally get the butcher's cleaver out, of course.

Sacrilege or not?

Bump's rendition sounded much closer to Jaco's approach than I was thinking, during those breaks.

Now I'm not sure which approach to take. Bump really had a great feel going on with the straight ahead approach. But our band is hornless at the moment. Just a four piece.

Guess I'll try both, and see what works.

If you need one more cheerleader, you have my support.

Come On, Come Over is a great tune. And, even though we bass players know it takes good technique & stamina tp keep that riff going throughout the whole song, it doesn't strike me as a "look at me" song.

- Matt W.

A couple of years ago I suggested a band I was in play "For Once in My Life" by Stevie Wonder. I love the song and it was a great fit with our set, but part of my motive was that memorising and playing the Jamerson line note for note would give me real technical workout. (I appreciate there are players around the LDL who wouldn't regard that a very difficult part, but it was a very challenging part for me). I'm human, so sure, part of my motivation was that other musicians might think more of my playing if they heard me do a good job on a difficult part. But that wasn't my main aim - if it had been, there are easier but flashier parts I could have picked instead.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. I practised it to the point where I could nail it playing along with the record every time, but playing it with the band was a different matter. Whether it was my fault or the drummer's or the band's generally I'm not sure, but it just didn't groove. After a few attempts we agreed we weren't playing it well enough to justify its place in the set and we dropped it.

My point? Once you learn COCO the song it will have to justify its place in the band's set on its own merits, based on audience response and how other band members feel about the song. If it works you won't need to apologise to anyone for picking a song that makes the band a better band. If it doesn't, it will probably be quietly dropped after a few attempts with no harm done. You have nothing to lose, so you may as well go for it.

For one tune, why not? Play 2 sets of Jaco and you are now a tribute band. ;) Hell, my band does a Cactus tune, and I play some of it like Tim Bogert, and some not. The tune works because the tune cooks, and we get compliments on it, even though no one has ever heard it before. :)

I agree that these aren't holy relics. Don't you interpret other songs? Play what you feel and hear inside.

Fred's comments about guitarists rings true - those guys somehow manage to play stellar, famous parts and nobody says "you're trying to be Clapton" (or whoever). You can play a Jaco part.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Hey,

Thats a great tune! Thanks to whomever posted their version.

I really need to get some more exposure to that kind of stuff, it's great music. Funny thing is, I play sorta funky myself and yet have not influenses from that style. I guess its time to find some!

Check out my work in progress.

The thing I've learned about being in a band that is primarily originals, but also do covers to make the crowd happy, is that when you play a song that people know but don't hear very often (and you do a good job), you will get a great response.

My band does progressive rock. People go absolutely NUTS when we play anything by Rush, Styx, or Dream Theater. I can't really see anyone in the crowd thinking "PRETENTIOUS WANKERS!!!" because we also don't throw in an extra 3 minute solo section or something. Save that for our own songs, really. Take a few liberties here and there, sure, but as long as you're not trying to upstage the original artist, you'll be fine and the crowd will enjoy it.

Originally posted by Edendude:

And then there's that great duet on Vic's 'Live In America' CD, with he and Marcus Miller doin' Teen Town.

Now there's a Jaco tribute! And of course those guys really are the shit, and yet both are pretty damn humble and down to earth human beings.

Have you guys heard that cut? It's freakin' monsterous!

i didn't realize there was a version of 'teen town' on that cd. there's a reason to pick up another wooten cd (like i really needed one)
Insert inaccurate quote here

Archived