Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audition tonight, wish me luck

EddiePlaysBass

Well,

It'll probably be the oddest of auditions since there will also be another bass player present, as well as a new singer ... Guess they wanted to get it all done at once :D

At first I was a bit upset about having another bassist audition at the same time, but then again I thought "what the hell!!!" If this guy is way better than me the he deserves the gig AND then I can ask if he wants to teach me some stuff :D

That said, I have decided to take my mic and stand with me and do some backing vox too. Been way too long since I last sung but since I'm in direct competition here I wanna go all out :D

Anyway, I'll let y'all know how it went ;) Thumbs up !!!

Cheers,

Eddie

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Edendude:

Maybe having the other bassist there will just bring out the best in you.

True

Backing vocals may be the key. They are a great asset for a band, that is unless it's MY vocals. The only positive thing I can say about my voice is at least it isn't loud.

I'd wish you luck but you don't need it. Go out there and kill 'em!

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

You shall prevail.

Good job seeking tips:

Be willing to bribe the band

Do you own a van or truck? Offer to buy one.

Do you own a sound system? Offer to buy one.

Tell the guitar player he's great and that he should turn up.

Is the drummer any good? If so, kiss his ring. If not, offer to buy one.

If the other bass player is better than you (of course he's not) tell him about a better band that he would be perfect for. Don't be afraid to lie.

L Tucker

Nice, nice, very nice.

So many people in the same device.

If the other bass player auditions before you do, pay close attention to what he is asked to do. You will probably be asked to do the same thing.

At one cattle call audition that I went to, by the time it was my turn, I already knew the song that they had been teaching the other bassists.

Didn't get the gig, though. They hired a fellow by the name of Byron Miller. No hard feelings. I think he's playing with Beyonce these days.

I wish you luck.

Is there any sort of reinbursement for all this good will I am putting out here? :D

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

Now THAT's interesting...sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen... :D

With that in mind, here's what I'd suggest:

1) Let the other bassist go first. Learn from any mistakes he makes. This should be a no-brainer, but you'd be surprised.

2) Don't let it become any sort of p*ssing contest. Play for the song, and you'll sound good no matter what exactly you are playing.

3) Don't be nervous since your competition is right in front of you (this is reason #342 to let him go first...you'll be calmer and more collected since you know what you're up against. The unknown is typically what creates anxiety for most people.) Actually, be really nice to your competitor...greet him and the others with a smile and hand-shake...it will say something about you as a person.

I'd say having the competing bassist there isn't that much of a big deal. However, I think having an auditioning vocalist there as well (if I read your post right) is the potential train-wreck part. Are they going to concentrate on listening to the bassists or the vocalist? Go figure.

Best of luck,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by butcherNburn:

Originally posted by Edendude:

Maybe having the other bassist there will just bring out the best in you.

True

Backing vocals may be the key. They are a great asset for a band, that is unless it's MY vocals. The only positive thing I can say about my voice is at least it isn't loud.

I'd wish you luck but you don't need it. Go out there and kill 'em!

Ditto on the backing vocals. Many can play, but few can sing and play.

Also, let the other bass player go first.

Shows humility.

Then when it's your turn you can wail all over him!

:D

Good luck either way.

Your attitude is half the audition.

:thu:

Well, you're probably playing now as I write this. Hope it goes well.

If you see this first, remember to warm up your voice. I agree that a good bassist that can sing is often worth more than a better bassist who can't.

Looking forward to hearing about this.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived