Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Cable Recommendations/?'s

jasonmassacre

Hello. Since i've been enormously helped in another post - I thought i'd try my luck again. I was wondering what type of cable (from bass to head) everyone uses/recommends. I am currently using a Monster Cable - only it is a guitar cable. Is there that big of a difference, and if so - what are the differences. Will I benefit more from an actual "Bass" cable? Thanks in advance!

--

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by jasonmassacre:

Will I benefit more from an actual "Bass" cable?

No, it's a monster marketing trick.

Low handling noise, low capacitance, good shielding and reliable connections/plugs is all that matters in a cable for live use IMO.

I've noticed differences between blind tested interconnects in the audiophile hi-fi realm, but for instruments in anything other than a very high-end recording situation the sonic variation is negligible.

Alex

Personally, I can't tell a difference between cables.

I work at Radioshack, and we sell Monster cables. We always push them to the customers first.

But truthfully, I don't think they are that much better. I mean only the BEST ones are double shielded with the shield glued down, but all the others are pretty much the same thing...

i don't know...everything seems like a cult to me.

Radioshack seems like a cult, Monster IS a cult... :freak:

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Hey, Monster just bought the naming rights to Candlestick Park where the S.F. 49ers play.

So now we have to call it Monster Park.

At least their offices are only about a mile away, so maybe there is some relevance. :confused:

I can hear some difference between cables in a quiet room.

Once the band starts playing, I doubt that anyone can tell the difference.

For daily gigging you want the most indestructible cable possible.

Or several that have lifetime guarantees so you can always have a new one ready.

I like monster cables for any instrument that needs to be plugged in... but not because they sound better... they sound the same as basically every other cable I have encountered in that price range. They are, however, pretty burly cables with a lifetime guarantee, which means a lot when you pay $50 for a cable.

I had one die on me after about six years of constant gigging, which (for me) includes being stomped on, kicked and dragged through water, mud, sand, beer and other nasty substances. I brought that scuzzy cable into a Monster dealer (maybe Guitar Center, but definitely not the place where I bought it) and got a free replacement with no hassles.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Hmmm.......

My curent cheap cable is starting to crackle. Maybe I should try a Monster. I mean, if it's a good cable and you can just get a new one, why not spend double on it initially and then never have to buy one again.

I cannot hear the difference ..

I agree with JeremyC ...

get a heavy duty cable that will hold up .... they do take a beating ....

stepped on, dropped into puddles of spilled beer, curled up and stuffed into a gig bag etc...

www.danielprine.com

philopumpkin,

Is RS selling Monster cable in various categories, and not just its own knockoffs? I wonder, because I got their 12 gauge speaker cable that was called MonSTAR or something, a few years ago. And it was horribly unpliable - much worse than Monster's similar product though it was indeed 12-gauge and carried current equally well for much less moola.

Pliability/rigidity has also been a problem for MONSTER brand instrument cables, which seem to have a high incidence of failure (often where the cable joins the connector) considering their price.

Questionable science aside, many companies that make the actual cabling for pro audio supllying companies for many decades - Canare, Belden, etc - agree that the important factors for high impedance (bass and gtr cables) are:

1) low capacitance so as to not further load the high impedance source and rob itr of more highs and some lows

2) good noise rejection via complete shielding as opposed to whimpy spiral shielding (although foil in conjunction can make spiral shielding perform well

3) low handling noise after repeated twining, stomping, bending wrapping, etc. This has a lot to do with the pliability and completeness of shielding. Crackling sucks. Intermittents are not desirable either.

4) Pliability so that the cable enjoys a long life and good performance even in a stage environment. This has to do with insulating materials and techniques, choices of wire and wire weave, and fillers such as cloth, hemp...

5) Good build for soldering/connecting. It should be failry easy to work with while likely to stay attached to the connectors.

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

Will I benefit more from an actual "Bass" cable?

No, it's a monster marketing trick.

Low handling noise, low capacitance, good shielding and reliable connections/plugs is all that matters in a cable for live use IMO.

I've noticed differences between blind tested interconnects in the audiophile hi-fi realm, but for instruments in anything other than a very high-end recording situation the sonic variation is negligible.

Alex

Agreed. So much you hear is marketing hype or things that effect your signal in the meg or gigahertz range and do little or nothing in the audio spectrum. Basstasters did a comarison here:

http://www.basstasters.com/cables/great_cable_exp.htm

I can tell little no difference and certainly couldn't pick a particular one out blindfolded. I've seen cables tested on a spectrum analyser and virtually no diff is seen between any well shielded quality cable of reasonable length under a megahertz.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Yeah, some of the BS I've heard about having all the frequencies arrive at the same time - down maybe 20 to 25 feet of wire no less! We're talking near the speed of light here - which considerably trumps the speed of sound no matter what the wild cards are.

Capacitance is the key issue for passive high and ultrahigh impedance instruments when it comes to delivering an intact accurate signal.

Stay away from Horizon cables. I have a pile I call the grave yard that has about 10 Horizon cables in it that have crapped out on me.

I have a couple of Planet Waves cables that seem to be doing rather well.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

I use the Armoured cables. Samson sold then for a while, now they are discontinued.

They are selling quite cheaply at Sam Ash.

I mainly like them because they will not knot, the wrap is indestructible, and they are shiny.

I like shiny things.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Tenstrum, I owuldn't pronounce a blanket indictment on Horizon. They sell a lot of cable types and price ranges. Perhaps you were buying the cheapies. I know some of their stuff is really competitive with the other leaders in raw wire and completed assemblies.

ahola! i love my planetwave cable, use it all the time and made very well. only got one tho since it 40 bucks each, but i just plug in. As 4 Horizon,,, i busted one 2, and no lifetime gurantee unlike Monster and Planetwave cables :\

The basses

-'04 MIM Jazz bass black

-'98 Fender American-Deluxe P-bass natural

-Peavey FuryII blue

I have had Horizon cables and have had no problems with them. I also use George L cables and they work very well...

but I still cannot hear any difference??

The GeorgeL's where much cheaper than the Horizons - .75 per foot for the GeorgeL's at the Guitar Show...plus the end plugs @ 4.00 each.

www.danielprine.com

Most of the stuff I have around here is made from raw Belden, Canare, Horizon, etc wires each chosen for the type of use it would recieve, and usually terminated with Neutrik - but sometimes Switchcraft - connectors. Sometimes I've bought the premium cables from companies that supply the same level of pro audio build.

My next cable is going to be inner coathanger/duct tape/outer coathanger. Not the most flexible, but it is an excellent guage! :D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

There's about 100' of coax between my house and the cable box in my back yard that I'm not using. And if you don't mind a little brown paint, there may be another 50' stapled under the eves.

wraub - those Armoured cables were intriguing (when they were available)... I guess I have a mutual like for shiny things, especially if they are nearly indestructible.

My cable is a Horizon, 20' for $20 thingy. It is now about 2" shorter than when I bought it because I replaced one of the sraight plugs with a right angle plug. One of the factory solders eventually started making nasty noises, just because someone was careless about where all those fuzzy wires were (or were not) connected.

- Matt W.

I'm planning on putting some phone plugs on the ends of an outdoor extension cord (one of those orange 100 ft. thingies) and using it as a speaker cable. It should work and it will be virtually indestructible.
Certainly not a bad way to get it if you live in a remote cabin in the mountains or... Just go for 12 gauge. 16 stinx for anything but short leads. I actually considered building a couple of 3' adapter pigtails that would allow emergency use of AC extensions for speaker cable but just KNEW that someone would find a way to misuse the power ; }

Originally posted by jeremyc:

I'm planning on putting some phone plugs on the ends of an outdoor extension cord (one of those orange 100 ft. thingies) and using it as a speaker cable. It should work and it will be virtually indestructible.

How about custome made cords?

If you want 500 foot, 12 guage cords with pink insulation and blue lighted 3-way ends and "Jeremy C's cord - touch it and die" stamped onto it, it can be done. Minimum order is 11,000 feet. No lie. PM me.

- Matt W.

Hello. Since i've been enormously helped in another post - I thought i'd try my luck again. I was wondering what type of cable (from bass to head) everyone uses/recommends. I am currently using a Monster Cable - only it is a guitar cable. Is there that big of a difference, and if so - what are the differences. Will I benefit more from an actual "Bass" cable? Thanks in advance!

--

A lot of people (here) seem to use wireless transmitters. This has two ramifications 1st -- you should check out wireless stuff (mmm gas) 2nd -- a less than perfect signal from bass -> head doesn't matter that much (for live work).

FWIW I use a planet waves cable but as I have an active on board pre-amp it doesn't have a very hard job to do! Also, I've had great milage with the "fold in half, fold in half, fold in half and put straight into your hard case" method of lead coiling. I got that tip from a thread on "uncomon tips" or similar.

A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

George L's have become my favorite cable. Inexpensive, and onstage rebuildable.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived