Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I finally played "Brown Eyed Girl"!!!!

Connie Z

Yes, it is true! ... I have finally learned and played the all-time bass dance cover song (at least to me)! :D

It happened last night at rehearsal. We had everyone in the band in attendance, except one of our two famale vocalists. Our male vocalist sang it, and it sounded TOTALLY AWESOME.

It was my first time playing it all the way through (with 'almost' no flubs) with a full band. I now feel that I have "arrived" in the private club of bass players! I didn't lock in with the drummer the whole time, cause I was so engrossed in playing it right, but we were tight nonetheless. And when I did lock in, we were awesome. :thu:

I just needed to share that with you all. If not for the support, knowledge and motivation that has been given to me by each of YOU... this would not have happened! THANK YOU!!!!

... connie z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome! It's so nice when you have like, a tangible marker for how good at bass you're getting. Awesome song, by the way. I play it in jazz ensemble.

How would ya give us an update on the band already??? How much of a set list do y'all have going?

Please tell us!

LadY

In Skynyrd We Trust

Originally posted by 57pbass:

I look forward to your comments on this song after playing it 1000 times at the clubs.. :D

LOL :D:D:D

Well actually, I figure :idea: that if we have 3 gigs per month, I'll only end up playing it 36 times per year, which will take me 27.7 years to get to the 1000 mark! :D

Then I'll be 72.7 years old and ready to retire! :thu:

... connie z

Originally posted by Prague:

I don't get it, Connie (or anyone). Was this just a personal milestone or am I missing something about the bassline. It never stuck out in my head, anyway.

Hi Prague!

For me, it's important for a few reasons:

~ It is a personal milestone, because to me it's a challenging bassline. It's so well-known, that I wanted to learn it as close to original as possible. I am not seasoned enough yet to 'hear' the line on the original recording and just play it, so in this case, my teacher tabbed it out for me and I learned the notes from the tab and the rhythm from listening to the record.

~ It's not a standard 1/5 or arpeggio bass line (I love to play those too), but it's fun to actually 'learn' a different line and then play it well. I am very happy to play roots when appropriate, and try to make them sound very pretty. But I have to say, that learning a new line every 6 months or so makes me happy too!

~ It's a cool-sounding bass line and very prominent in the song. I have found that a lot of people (including non-musicians) 'mention' the bass line when talking about that song, which is unusual.

~ It's a GREAT dance song rhythmically, and people love dancing to it. So it will create a lot of fun and pleasant memories for the audience. (When I eventually get to play it at a gig!) :thu:

~ It's challenging to play and really requires you to lock in with the drummer to get it going just right.

~ The whole song is high quality in regards to lyrics, vocals, style. (Van Morrison and the musicians on the recording.)

All of course, in my own humble opinion! :D

Hope that helped!

... connie z

Congrats Connie,

I've seen a lot of whining about Brown Eyed Girl from other bass players on forums. Perhaps they find it tedious from decades of playing it, but if it's like many other Van Morrison bass lines of the late sixties and early seventies, it bridges the gap between folk, rock, jazz, various styles of pop...

If you get the chance, check out some of his other albums too. Plenty worth learning and admiring. You'll hear: developed writing with songs that work on all levels, lyrically and musically, protoypical bass work that's hard to imagine any other way, great players in great bands, and a vocalist who is REALLY a vocalist.

Thanks Everyone!

I really appreciate all of the kudos and congratulations! :D

It was funny, because as soon as I finished the song, I told my bandmates how excited I was and that I couldn't wait to go to the LowDown and share the news with my bass buddies! They got a kick out of that. :thu:

Posted by 57PBass:

Then I'll be 72.7 years old and ready to retire!

Connie .. I disagree...I think you'll still be rockin....

Thanks 57PBass! :thu:

And Greenboy... I will take your suggestion and check out some more Van Morrison works. Your description has helped me see what it is that makes his stuff so special. Now I need to hear more!!! Thanks!

Originally posted by Prague:

I don't get it, Connie (or anyone). Was this just a personal milestone or am I missing something about the bassline. It never stuck out in my head, anyway.

Yes, its a personal milestone.

But more importantly, Brown Eyed Girl `is a 4-to-the-bar walking bass line with a swing feel. While the line is more simple and more angular than a true jazz walking line, it does serve as a great introduction to this feel. After mastering this, the bassists can tackle more improvisatory jazz lines.

With that in mind, Connie, it is now time to graduate to Master's Classes. Specifically, you should get into the Aebersold play-along series. Volume 1 is a good place to start. Jamie Aebersold Volume ! is one of many links on the web for purchasing this set. (There are over 100 volumes now...a lot of great bassists have cut their teeth on this stuff.)

Volume 1 is relatively simple, if not song-like. However, it begins to develop concepts that will lead to walking against changes...pretty important, that.

Great step.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Good job, Connie!

p.s. I like that song. And the bass gets a little "solo" in the middle.

As a matter of fact, Ladies and Gentlemen, "this is is one of your favorites, it must be one of mine."

I don't mind playing any song if the other players are ok, I really don't understand the problem that people have with individual songs.

Connie,

Your post was enough to bring me out of the woodwork (where I've been residing for a few years). I remember when I first hit that song - it was a great day for me, too.

Keep it up, and Greenboy's right - there's a lot more soul from VM for you to absorb. Go for it!

-Tim from Jersey

(ps - your next assignment: Moondance! Aieeeee!!!)

Play. Just play.

Connie - congrats :thu::thu:

I understand not wanting to play the same song over and over and over. But when the people want the song, I can do it without a problem. Still, my band trys to find songs that aren't "played out" and still excite folks. We have "Mustang Sally" on our list, but we're adding "Knock On Wood".

At the risk of driving Flemtone back into the woodwork, I'd suggest Domino (mostly 2 chords, with a II V turnaround and a riff) or And It Stoned Me (maybe 5 chords, but a nice ballad). Moondance is a whole different feel, and I think the bass player switches around what he's playing from verse to verse. Definitely worth the work but if you struggle with hearing the parts, these others might be faster studies. People know Moondance and Domino (we do Domino). But Van Morrison adherents will throw plenty more at ya.

The fun continues !!!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived