Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Living Colour - SNL

Tenstrum

I saw an old SNL episode on Comedy Central the other night that had Living Colour as the musical guest. Man I was blown away! I've always liked Cult of Personality, but those guys jammed it out hard! They did a lot of great improvisation during the song and everything remained tight. Their stage presence was incredible. All 4 of the guys were into the groove and jumping and swaying in time. I'm not familiar with anything else they did, but the 2nd song they played was pretty cool as well.

It's a shame that they fell apart. Who knows whay kind of cool music they could have come up with in future endeavors.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Their latest album (released a year ago) is pretty good, but it's a little "soft" for my taste. They still exhibit chops up the wazoo, but I like the "on the border of exploding" version of LC better.

"For instance" is not proof.

They're playing in my hometown on 11/7. Small concerthall, maximum capacity of 750 people (standing audience). The way I like my concerts. On 11/3 I'm going to see Southside Johnny & the Ashbury Jukes, and on 11/15 Christian Mcbride, all in the same concerthall. Ok, some of you live in New York, where there are 157 concerts every night. But do you have a real medieval castle downtown?

I hadn't realized that they had got back together. Is it all of the original members?

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Originally posted by Toad Strum:

I hadn't realized that they had got back together. Is it all of the original members?

It's Vernon Reid, Will Calhoun, Corey Glover, and Doug Wimbush. So, the "original second lineup".

Those guys tore it up on SNL. I remember seeing that when it originally aired. Great friggin band.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Those guys tore it up on SNL. I remember seeing that when it originally aired. Great friggin band.

Yeah, wasn't the second number "Open Letter (To A Landlord)"? Man, if I recall they blew the studio version to the moon and back. I saw 'em in DC at the old 9:30 Club on that tour (a month after seeing the "Nothing's Shocking" tour of JA). They tore the roof off tha joint, body gloves or no body gloves.

"Expectations are the enemy of music." - Mike Keneally

Hi! My band is... my band is... HALF ZAFTIG | Half Zaftig on MySpace | The Solo Stuff

I'll be seeing them at the 9:30 in D.C. this Saturday, Oct. 16. I was there about year ago and they rocked it incredibly. One of the best if not the best I've seen there, so I can't wait till Saturday. Public Enemy was on the bill as well, but dropped out. Pretty disappointing, the thought of seeing them together is amazing.

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

So, the "original second lineup".
I see that my Living Colour history needs some work... :)

I wish that I had taped that SNL episode to watch again.

Tenstrum

Saw 'em on the Vivid tour, simply incredible.

Monster players, rockin' out.

I always liked Skillings, but I thought Wimbish actually improved things.

It was Open Letter for the second song, and it did indeed blow the album version away.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by ihategarybettman:

Yeah, they are a great band and you can't go wrong picking up a copy of "Vivid", their debut album, which includes "Cult of Personality" and a lot of other great tracks. Their other albums have great moments as well; their last CD was released about a year ago.

IIRC, Mick Jagger helped them get signed to a label, assisted in producing some of "Vivid", and got them booked as the opening act that year for the Stones. Hope someday a DVD will document these guys.

:wave:

I saw them last year at the park West in Chicago. The boys are still ferocious. I liked Vivid and Stained, the first album after Wimbish took over on bass. I wish they'd make another album.

There's a video out there floating around of some of their live performances. I used to rent it from blockbuster.

One of the few bands better live than their recordings.

I saw them last year at the park West in Chicago. The boys are still ferocious. I liked Vivid and Stained, the first album after Wimbish took over on bass. I wish they'd make another album.

There's a video out there floating around of some of their live performances. I used to rent it from blockbuster.

One of the few bands better live than their recordings.

Archived